Choosing a booster when you can't try in person

bubbles

I need a new booster for my 9yo. He weighs 60 pounds. I don't remember his height off hand so will have to check that later (but he is too tall for the Nautilus as a harnessed seat). I know that fit and belt positioning are key but not sure how I can determine that w/ brands that I have to order on line. I drive an '05 Volvo wagon.

So, I am overwhelmed by all the choices and want to choose the best seat for him. A TB is an easy choice since they are so readily available. If that fits him well is it a safe choice or am I really better off spending more money?

ADS

jjordan

I'd check how much growing room he has in a TB. If there's not a lot and you want a hbb that will last longer, the Parkway and Monterey both go several inches higher than the TB. You could order your favorite and hope it works, or you could order both and return whatever doesn't work. Regardless it is probably wise to order from somewhere that has free returns just in case (or buy return shipping insurance).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A child who has outgrown the Nautilus by height will not have a lot of growing room in a Turbobooster. The Turbobooster is a fine, safe seat but is not likely the greatest choice for him.

I'm guessing that a child who has outgrown the Nautilus by height and weighs 60# probably has a fairly slender build? A Britax Parkway SG/SGL is likely to fit nicely.

susanx4

I'd Say a turbo is fine!, DS out grew the Nautilus last year and has 3 notches of growing room in the turbo and then it can go backless. ds is 8 and weights 55 lbs, Dd2 is 10 and weights almost 70lbs, she is now backless in her turbo, but still had room with the back on. i also have the monteray and its a nice seat but i don't care for it as much as my turbo!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Nautilus has a top slot of 18.5" and the Turbo has a top belt guide around 19.5", so most kids who have outgrown a Nautilus by height will not have a whole lot of room in a Turbo: there are exceptions to every rule, but if the OP has to buy before trying, I would still recommend against the Turbo for a child who has outgrown a Nautilus.

bubbles

I know I can try a TB in person and am pretty sure I can try a Parkway. Sounds like I just need to go try both! I was looking at the Monterrey but it sounds like that isn't a good choice for such a thin kiddo. I'll try the other two out and go from there. Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC