RF vs FF - is anyone a really good writer?

AmieRubyJonah

As most of you know, here in aus, you can FF your baby from 6mo.

Alot of my FB friends have been asking about FF their 4-6mo recently.

I need a REALLY good 1-2 paragraph argument, stating the facts, about why they should keep RF. One that I can just generically C&P.

Can anyone help me out?

ADS

firemomof3

Here is part of a handout that I did for my dd2's preschool:
Many convertible car seats now rear face to 35-45 pounds which means that you can keep your toddler comfortably rear facing which is safer! *2. The old rule of 1 year & 20lbs. to turn forward facing is no longer recommended. A child’s spine is not strong enough to protect the spinal cord if they are forward facing. It's not strong enough because the vertebrae are in pieces joined by cartilage. The vertebrae do not begin to fuse until age 3-6 years old. This is why rear-facing is the safest as it gives more support and protection to the incomplete vertebrae and therefore the spinal cord. With vertebrae in pieces, a forward facing child has a greater chance of damage to the spinal cord when their head and neck whip forward and back in a crash. *3
In the first picture there is a cervical vertebrae for a one-year old (left), and beside it a cervical vertebrae for a 6 year old (right). Note that the 1-yr old's vertebrae is still in pieces

Here are pictures of older children comfortably rear facing. A child’s legs touching the back of vehicle seat is not a safety concern. *5

Hmmm, I'm not sure why the pics didn't show up :confused:

Jennifer mom to my 7

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

Have you tried this video?

turtlemama

I tend to go for a scare factor, but I really try not to do that on purpose. I would say a child that young has a pretty big risk for being paralyzed or internally decapitated. Then I point them towards Joel's Journey.
I also make sure they know that the law is not enough to keep a child as safe as they really should be. I had a lady tell me that her child met the requirements by law, and after that I couldn't really say much else because she was right. So now I have started making sure to add that the law is the bare minimum of protection and everyone should want more than the minimum for their kids, right?

ConnorsMommy

Here's an argument I've used a few times:

A basic law of physics states that an object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by an external force. In a collision, occupants of a car are thrown forward until something stops them. For a forward facing child, the 5 point harness stops his body, but his head continues to move forward, causing his immature spine to stretch. A young child's spine only needs to stretch 1/4 inch to break, but in an accident it can stretch up to 2 inches. This can cause severe injuries, including internal decapitation. (include link to joel's journey) 90% of those who experience internal decapitation die from their injuries. When a child is rear-facing, his body is cradled in the seat and moves forward with the car seat, protecting his neck and spine from injury. This is why it is 5 times safer to keep children rear-facing until at least 2 years old, but preferably to the limit of their convertible seats. The laws in most countries are the bare minimum requirement for forward-facing. Aren't our children worth more than the bare minimum? Keep your child rear-facing as long as possible!

Here's a very simple experiment to show why RF is safer: Take a small child's sock facing away from you and hold it in your hand with your thumb. Move your hand quickly forward away from you and see how the sock flies forward. Now, turn your hand around backwards with the sock facing you and move your hand away quickly. The sock barely moves. This shows the difference in forces upon a child RF vs FF.

turtlemama

Here's an argument I've used a few times:

A basic law of physics states that an object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by an external force. In a collision, occupants of a car are thrown forward until something stops them. ...

That is a great explanation, can I share this on my FB?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC