Help me pick

vamom

I am trying to decide. The seat is for an 8 year old 52" 64# who has low tone. He is about to outgrow his britax husky. Price doesn't matter, insurance is footing the bill :thumbsup: Car is 2007 toyota prius. TIA

Recaro monza reha

http://www.pediatriceshop.com/media...9c230972d/t/h/thomashilfen-recaro-monza-r.jpg

or columbia spirit

http://www.pediatriceshop.com/media...ia-adjustable-positioning-system-car-seat.jpg

or snug seat pilot

http://www.pediatriceshop.com/media...6f020e43594a9c230972d/s/n/snug-seat-pilot.jpg

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I really like the Monza and Monterey (it's a different name, but come on, that is the SK monterey)... they look more like any other booster seat... so he can look more grown up if he has friends riding along.

I'm loving all the extra options for the monza... can you find out which have the tallest top slots (perhaps by calling the customer service number?)

vamom

The columbia is a 5 pt harness with a top harness slot of 23" and a max weight of 130. They say max height 66".

The pilot (or monterey) has the removeable positioning harness. Max weight 120 lbs.

Car Seat Weight
15.7 lbs. (7 kg)
Overall Measurements at Base - headrest fully extended (Width x Depth x Height)
16 " x 20 " x 32.5 " (40 x 50 x 81.25 cm)
Overall Measurements at Base - headrest down (Width x Depth x Height)
16 " x 20 " x 26.5 " (40 x 50 x 66.25 cm)
Overall Width at Lateral Trunk Wings - (Open/Closed)
22.5 " (56.25 cm) / 19 " (47.5 cm)
Seat Back Height (Headrest fully extended / Headrest down)
30 " (75 cm) / 24" (60 cm) /
Seat Width
12" (30 cm)

Seat Depth
15 - 19" (37.5 - 47.5 cm)

User Height
38 - 63" (96 - 160 cm)

Back Recline Positions
100° and 110 °

And the monza - max weight 110 lbs.

Car Seat Weight
13.2 lbs. (6 kg)
Overall Measurements (Width x Depth x Height)
19" x 26" x 16.5" (48 x 66 x 42 cm)
Seat Width Front
10.6" (27 cm)

Seat Width Back
9.5" (24 cm)

Seat Depth
11.8" (30 cm)

Back Height
23.6 - 30.3" (60 - 77 cm)

I had been leaning towards the pilot. Even though ds is a bean pole, he apparently has broad shoulders. Then I started to wonder if the extra step of the seat belt would be annoying to us both. He had wanted a booster, but after a test ride he wanted a 5 pt harness again. He likes buckling himself.The durable goods person doing the insurance likes the pilot best intially, but was concerned about the width? She said ds hips measured 12 and that the seat is only 13??? I can't imagine him being too big. Then she said it should be fine.

She likes the columbia best because it is bigger. I worry so much about this. I want him to be safe, comfortable, and happy. We don't have kids in our car much anymore but he has started to comment, and the last kid did say something to him. Now that he is 8, NONE of his friends have seats.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i agree that the monza is the coolest looking but personaly haveing worked with them all i like the coloumbia spirit the best and would proabably chose it for my own child if they needed such a seat.

I like the instaliation and i like the fact that the routing of the shoulder belt acts as a tether when one is not available and assists when one is. especialy since most users of such a seat would be over the tether limit

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I'd probably go for the Columbia as it looks like it would last the longest. My 12 year old nephew has been in the Merrit Roosevelt for about 2 years now. We had to fight with insurance but finally got it covered. I think the Roosevelt was Britax/Columbia's biggest competition and it's great because then they improved their special needs seat which I think will now last longer than the Roosevelt. DN just moved to the top slots. He tends to have a longer torso and is around the 50th %ile for height/weight. The shoulder belt tethering feature that both the Roosevelt and the Columbia seat have is a very nice feature.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC