Question ID this seat please (no pics)

autumnlily

It's an infant seat with base.

Made in 2001.

It has a handle with a circle (that swivels) for parent's grip. And, two yellow buttons on the seat near the handle (one on each side) that was described to me as the release buttons from the base.

Not sure if it was a 3 point or 5 point... it had been severely altered :(.

Thanks

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Handle with circle in it means it's a Dorel. If it only goes to 20 or 22 lbs then it might be a Cosco Turnabout. I have one of those in my training collection (my cover is bright primary colors like red and blue and maybe yellow too). My Turnabout actually has one of those crazy double ring harness adjusters (O for open, C for closed). If it goes to 35 lbs, has an adjustible head support and has a beige EB cover then it's the Opus 35. Those are the two that immediately come to my mind. HTH!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
That bottom photo is exactly what my Turnabout looks like! Not sure if they all had that crazy double-ring harness adjuster/locking system but the seat I have does and it's a 5-pt.

The Opus 35 had a similar handle but the seat itself was much larger and the only ones I ever saw always had the typical beige and brown EB plaid/check covers.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Not sure if it was a 3 point or 5 point... it had been severely altered :(.

Thanks

We screwed around with one during my class. They had the weirdest/stupidest/most confusing adjusting "thing". It would not surprise me if they were probably all misused!

How was it altered (just because I am nosy) Weren't the all recalled too for the handles?

autumnlily

That's it! Thanks!

The more I recall, I do believe they had it set up as a 5pt. BUT, they had the harness straps tied in the back.

Was the turnabout a front adjuster or back adjuster.

Thankfully the family was very receptive to my feedback... however, the family that lent them the seat wants it back so they can re-lend it to someone else and I want to give the borrower as much info as possible to hopefully persuade the owner to recycle/destroy the seat once and for all.

Going to look for recalls and a picture of what the back of the seat SHOULD look like (not the relooping/tieing business that is currently being used).

TerisBoys

Pretty sure the Turnabout was rear-adjust.

If it was a rectangle-ish buckle with webbing sewn around a bar down the middle, it's the same as I had on my Evenflo Joyride.

| | |
| | |
A B C
| | |
| | |

To "lock" it - you want to go under A, over B, under C then around C and tuck the tail back under A. If you look at it from the top or bottom, the webbing will make a C around the buckle, and only A will be visible.

The wrong way is under A, over B, under C, and leave the tail on C's side. Then you have 2 bars left visible, and the webbing looks like an O from the top or bottom.

HTH

autumnlily

Pretty sure the Turnabout was rear-adjust.

If it was a rectangle-ish buckle with webbing sewn around a bar down the middle, it's the same as I had on my Evenflo Joyride.

| | |
| | |
A B C
| | |
| | |

To "lock" it - you want to go under A, over B, under C then around C and tuck the tail back under A. If you look at it from the top or bottom, the webbing will make a C around the buckle, and only A will be visible.

The wrong way is under A, over B, under C, and leave the tail on C's side. Then you have 2 bars left visible, and the webbing looks like an O from the top or bottom.

HTH

Wowzer! That's a good memory! I didn't get that good of a look. But, the gentleman did say something about the "tail".

What I saw was a rectangular metal "clip". Just one. No splitter plate. Just lots of knots in the webbing. There were three harness height slots.

TerisBoys

Wowzer! That's a good memory! I didn't get that good of a look. But, the gentleman did say something about the "tail".

What I saw was a rectangular metal "clip". Just one. No splitter plate. Just lots of knots in the webbing. There were three harness height slots.

I used it for Josh and William :) And cursed it every time it needed adjustment.

I'm betting if you look closer, you'll see a clip similar to what I described. It was very common on the cheap seats back then. It was also very common to see the two ends just knotted together because people couldn't figure out how to make it stop slipping (reading the manual was extremely helpful!)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
If only it was made in 2000 LOL Those were all recalled! You would have been more leverage... After 1/31/00 the design was changed.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Perhaps you can ask if the original owners would be willing to donate the seat for training purposes? If that doesn't work maybe offer them a few bucks for it? You can tell them that you could really use this seat for training other techs because it's such a unique design and it's impossible to find models with that type of adjuster anymore.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I have the owners manual here in the house and I can scan the pg that shows you how to put it back correctly. But the seat is expired by several years and the next user is probably just going to tie the harness in a knot again (because it's that annoyingly impossible to use correctly), so I don't think fixing it is really the way to go. Almost better to tell them that it's hopelessly broken and a deathtrap to use as-is. KWIM?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC