Best Budget Convertible for second car?

SollysMom

We're looking to buy a carseat for my husband's car and we're looking to spend less than we did on our two Radians. We currently have both Radians in my car - DS1 (3.5y/o) forward-facing on the driver's side, DS2 (14mos) rear-facing on the passenger side. DS1 is a peanut right around 25lb and was rear-facing up until DS2 turned one and we switched him to a Radian, because FF was the only way we could fit a Radian behind the driver's side. DS2 isn't as tiny as DS1 but still fairly small - I think he's just over 20lb. Anyway, we want something with a RF limit of 30+ lb so that we can use it for either of them (even though DS2 is legal to be FF, I wouldn't do it). If there's nothing inexpensive and good quality that meets that, I suppose we can use something FF and always make sure that DS1 rides in that car and DS2 in mine whenever we break them up.

I've always sworn by Radians and I know Britaxes are supposed to be great too, but we're looking for something less expensive for the second car. I have about $50 in credit to diapers.com, here's a link to their convertibles sorted by price: link. Are any of the lower-end ones decent? If it matters, the seat will be in the center of a 2004 Corolla. All we really care about is safety, but easy installation would be a bonus. Thanks in advance for any replies.

ADS

myliljunebugs

The Cosco Scenera is a decent budget seat, I wouldn't think twice about using it if the kids fit (sounds like yours would no problem) I've used this seat for a friend's son and I think it installs pretty easily. :) HTH

Rebelnicky04

I just wanted to let you know that diapers.com does price match so if you find something you like on there be sure to price check w/ Albee, CSN, and Target :whistle: Good luck!

Jan06twinmom

I agree that the Scenera would be a good choice.

However, if you want a mid-priced convertible, I would suggest the Evenflo Triumph Advanced. You might consider a Complete Air with the 50lb limit. I saw some of these seats on clearance at my Toys R Us store for around $100.

Melanie

cookie123

You could put a Radian in the spare car for rf both kids and get something else to rf for 3 year old if you wanted to rf him - he's little! A Complete Air or a Evenflo Triumph Advanced take up less room rf than the Radian does. I hate to see that nice rf limit being wasted ff.:)

SollysMom

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm glad to hear some positive recommendations for the Scenera.

You could put a Radian in the spare car for rf both kids and get something else to rf for 3 year old if you wanted to rf him - he's little! A Complete Air or a Evenflo Triumph Advanced take up less room rf than the Radian does. I hate to see that nice rf limit being wasted ff.:)

I don't know that anything will fit RF behind the driver's seat in my car (2003 Taurus wagon) when DH drives. I'm only 4'10" so it's no problem when I drive, but when we go places as a family my husband always drives and he sits with his seat all the way back. DS2's Graco infant seat fit RF behind him, but even then DH's seat sort of pushed up on it when he would move his seat back. I'm very pro-extended-RF'ing, but DS1 was RF'ing until 3yrs3months and we had what I feel was a decent reason to switch him (I hate to see people switching "just because" or "because he's a big boy").

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd look at the Triumph Advance (EFTA). It is super easy to adjust for differend sized kids. You just loosen and slide the harness to the proper position then tighten and go.

cookie123

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm glad to hear some positive recommendations for the Scenera.

I don't know that anything will fit RF behind the driver's seat in my car (2003 Taurus wagon) when DH drives. I'm only 4'10" so it's no problem when I drive, but when we go places as a family my husband always drives and he sits with his seat all the way back. DS2's Graco infant seat fit RF behind him, but even then DH's seat sort of pushed up on it when he would move his seat back. I'm very pro-extended-RF'ing, but DS1 was RF'ing until 3yrs3months and we had what I feel was a decent reason to switch him (I hate to see people switching "just because" or "because he's a big boy").[/QUOTE

Great job with the rear facing.:) I was just trying to put some options out there! I agree with pp who suggested the Evenflo Triumph Advance, also the True Fit Premiere which has an antirebound board. Still, you may want to use the Radian anyway in the spare car and get a combination seat such as the Graco Nautilus, the Britax Frontier or the Evenflo Maestro for the 3 year olds main ride. It would last him longer than the Radian, as the top slots are a bit higher on all 3.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For ease of use, I might look at the Triumph65 and install it rearfacing in your DH's car. Both of your boys would fit, and it's very easy to switch between users.

I do agree that the Scenera40RF is great bang for your buck, though, if you don't mind switching the straps between the two :)

SollysMom

Thanks so much for all the replies! I asked my very carseat-safety-savvy friend IRL about it and she said I should be cautious about DS1 fitting in the Scenera, heightwise. He's not at all tall for his age, but he is 3.5. I think he's around the 10th percentile for height (and not even on the charts for weight). Should I be worried about that? If y'all are saying it's safe and decent enough, I sure do like the price. My friend recommended a Graco Nautilus, but that's a lot more expensive.

When I told DH my idea to put the extra seat RF in his car so that either DS could ride in it, he said DS1 is a "big boy" and we should put it forward-facing and just always make sure he rides in that car when we split up. [bangs head against wall] I'm not even worried about adjusting the height, I guess when sitting, the boys aren't all that different heightwise... when DS2 was in his infant seat just a few months ago and we had the second Radian RF in DH's car, we never needed to adjust the straps when he rode in it.

lmd123

We have a Radian and an 04 Corolla. I can get a great upright RF install in that car, leaving plenty of room for the front seat passenger or driver. You could put the Radian RF for DS1 in the Corolla.

Instead of a Nautilus, what about a Maestro? Nice tall harness like the Nautilus, and it converts to a decent booster. (The Maestro booster is outgrown earlier than the Nautilus booster, but buying a $50 dedicated booster down the line will be the answer to that!) The Maestro is only $80.

SollysMom

I just wanted to let you know that diapers.com does price match so if you find something you like on there be sure to price check w/ Albee, CSN, and Target :whistle: Good luck!

Thank you for this! I finally ordered a Scenera, and Wal Mart had them for only $39 which diapers.com matched for me! I even had enough credit left over to get a Fuzzi Bunz One-Size :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC