Booster Help??

Mommy2Marcus

So, I am seriously thinking about buying a HBB to leave for Marcus in my MIL's car. I also want to start booster training him. It will be several weeks before I can buy one though, so I was thinking of using the Maestro for booster training for right now.

I know that this is a controversial thought, but I think I would feel safer with him in a booster than in an improperly used seat with her. She also never goes very far with him, mostly just around town on back roads going under 40MPH. And I know that accidents can happen anywhere. I wish she would leave a seat installed for him, but she never does & she forgets to tell me when she is going somewhere, so he winds up in a backless booster or an improperly installed seat.

So, can someone please share with me a booster that fits smaller booster riders well that the back stays attached? I am also looking to try to stay around $50ish or under for it. Please do not flame me for this. I just want him to be safe. She trys hard & understands how I feel now. Also there is no other option for child care. He must stay with her & her not going anywhere while she has him is not an option all the time. So please just help me make it safer for him.

ETA: This would be used in a 1994ish Toyota 4 Runner if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I would get a turbo.

Sigh, I was afraid someone would say that. I really wanted something else b/c of the way the back falls off of the turbo all the time. I know she will move it in & out of the car, so I wanted something that the back stayed on. Also so she could not remove the back. KWIM? Is there another option?? What about a Vivo??

I am willing to spend a little more money if need be, but really need to keep it as inexpensive as possible. It will be bought with our tax money, so leaves me a little more wiggle room.

mommycat

Does the Vivo have a fixed back? If it does, I have seen it recommended for smaller kids along with the TB, so I think it's probably a good option. Unless it has a 40lb lower limit. (I should just stay on the Cdn side of the board where I know something, LOL)

sirrahn

*If* it provides a good belt fit on him, the Big Kid stays together well and isn't too easy to take apart. Target has one with EPS foam.

I used to have one as a spare and it always fit the kids I had ride in it just fine. Do make sure the armests are in the lower notch if you try it.

Mommy2Marcus

Does the Vivo have a fixed back? If it does, I have seen it recommended for smaller kids along with the TB, so I think it's probably a good option. Unless it has a 40lb lower limit. (I should just stay on the Cdn side of the board where I know something, LOL)

The Vivo starts at 30lbs here. I think that the back can come off, but I do not think it falls off as easily as the turbo does. However I am not 100% sure, so hope that someone can confirm this. No problem, I appreciate the input. :)

*If* it provides a good belt fit on him, the Big Kid stays together well and isn't too easy to take apart. Target has one with EPS foam.

I used to have one as a spare and it always fit the kids I had ride in it just fine. Do make sure the armests are in the lower notch if you try it.

I will have to try the Big Kid then. I was not thinking of it b/c I have heard not so great things about it. However since you said that the back stays on pretty well, then I will check it out.

I think my best option is just going to be to go somewhere with a good amount of different seats & try them out. Can anyone point me towards such a place? I know I have a Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, Wal-Mart, Target & possibly a Big Lots within an hour of me. I will also be going to my moms in a couple of weeks where I may have more access to some other places.

babyherder

the Vivo can't be used backless and the back doesn't come off. I barely got it on. No way is it ever coming back off!

Mommy2Marcus

The Vivo back does come off, but it won't just fall off.

That is good to know. Do you think the Vivo would work? Is it pretty light weight? I really do not think the turbo will work b/c of the back issue. I am afraid it would just be used backless, which is why I am thinking of a HBB to leave with her. Sigh, this is SO frustrating. :(

Mommy2Marcus

The Vivo also fits little kids well. My petite 5yo (just barely 40 lbs) fits great in one for occasional rides....we really like it!

TY! I will deffinatly look into the Vivo then. Is it light or heavy weight wise? Can you find it in store anywhere to try it before you buy it? If he fit good in a booster in my car is it likely to fit well in my MIL's 4-Runner as well?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Check Big Lots. It is heavier than the turbo, but not horrible. I have no had any fit to vehicle issues.

Mommy2Marcus

Check Big Lots. It is heavier than the turbo, but not horrible. I have no had any fit to vehicle issues.

Thanks Judi! I will check out Big Lot's when I go to my moms in a couple of weeks as she has one pretty close to her house. I really thank you for all your help. I also thank you for not flaming me. It was a hard decision to make for me, but I feel that it is the right one. I just want to make him as safe as possible. You're awsome!! :love: to you.

momtoo3

Also wanted to add the First Years/ Compass boosters. They are high back only and fold easily for storage. Some don't fit little ones well but my son was 36 pounds when he got his B540 and fit great. It was better than our turbo for lap belt positioning and way more comfy. They are online for about $60-$100.

Kat_Momof3

the back does come off (for cover removal), but it cannot be used backless.

I would get the vivo because of how supportive it is, how great it fits little booster riders, and how it doesn't fall apart (I could see someone like your mom not wanting to bother to put the two parts back together and just using it backless)

You just need to make sure she knows how to thread the belt properly and get it snug.

Kat_Momof3

Thanks Judi! I will check out Big Lot's when I go to my moms in a couple of weeks as she has one pretty close to her house. I really thank you for all your help. I also thank you for not flaming me. It was a hard decision to make for me, but I feel that it is the right one. I just want to make him as safe as possible. You're awsome!! :love: to you.

big lots ones were made in 2007... I'd order from online to get a new one.

Mommy2Marcus

the back does come off (for cover removal), but it cannot be used backless.

I would get the vivo because of how supportive it is, how great it fits little booster riders, and how it doesn't fall apart (I could see someone like your mom not wanting to bother to put the two parts back together and just using it backless)

You just need to make sure she knows how to thread the belt properly and get it snug.

Thanks. I will deffinatly make sure that she knows how to thread the belt properly & makes sure it is snug on him. I like that the back does not fall off easily. That is exactly what I need.

big lots ones were made in 2007... I'd order from online to get a new one.

I will see what the price difference it. I am not worried about it expiring before I am done with it. I just want to make him safe & if this is the best booster & I can get one for around $50 that would be awsome. However if there is not that much of a price difference I will go for the newer one. :)

I would also suggest the Vivo or Dreamtime highback booster. I had both for dd2 to start booster training and we both prefer the Dreamtime. It fits smaller kids SO well and its $50 from walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Dreamtime-Comfort-Booster-Car-Seat-Silver/10992659

I did see those & wondered about them. But I have not seen them mentioned much, so I did not look at them much. Would you be willing to take pictures of your child in both to share b/c it looks like your child is pretty much the same size as mine that I am considering this seat for? I would love to see each compared to the other. Also can you tell me what you like better about the Dreamtime? Also how hard is it to get the back off? I need the back to stay well attached. Is it easy to use? Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC