Harnessing past 8yr old

A

anxious_mother

Wondering what is the oldest you have or know/have seen harnessed in a seat past 8yr old ?
DD 8 has her best friend still riding in a harnessed seat and would like to go back to a harnessed seat too, but I wont buy such a seat if it is to stop in one year.

ADS

luckyclov

It's not so much the age, it's the size and maturity of the child. I believe the Britax Frontier85 currently has the highest top slot height of all the HWH (high weight harness) seats on the US market, with a weight limit of 85 lbs in harness mode. Most kids will outgrow the harness far before they reach 85 lbs, however. The top slots, if I remember correctly, are 20 inches from the seat bottom. You may lose a little room on that depending on the recline after it's installed. Your child has outgrown the harness mode when their shoulders are level with the top slot (not below), so it all depends on your child's size and build (torso length being the most important measurement). My DD is 6 1/2 years old. She's around 47 inches tall and 55 lbs. She's still harnessed in her FR85, on the top slot, with a little growing room left. She has a long torso. She's only harnessed because she isn't quite mature enough to stay positioned properly in a highback booster - once she gets to that point, hopefully by spring, she will be moved to booster mode. A booster is a perfectly safe option for a child who is compliant and fits well in a booster. I, personally, wouldn't want to re-harness an 8-year old, but if it's her choice and she's more comfortable, I guess its something to consider. At 8, there likely won't be much growing room left, if any, in something like a Frontier85 (but it does convert to a highback booster as well).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There's nothing wrong with harnessing to age 8 and beyond if everybody's okay with it (and that includes being okay with the cost of higher-capacity harnessed seats).

However, there's no evidence that harnessing is safer than boostering for children who are physically and developmentally able to use a booster properly, which typically happens by 40# and the end of the sixth year.

I've seen kids harnessed to ten or so, especially in vehicles with lap-belt-only positions.

christineka

For an 8 year old who can sit properly in a booster, a harnessed seat is not safer. I had a regent in my van. It had a very plush, pink cover on it. My then 10 year old sat in it one day and insisted it would be her seat forever because it was so comfortable. She had almost outgrown the regent because it reclines. She still has a couple inches left in the frontier85, but after sitting in it, she had no desire to keep it as her seat. She only liked the regent with the fuzzy cover. I compromised and got her a parkway booster with a plush cover. If you have money to spend you could go buy your dd a big seat to harness her, but there's really no reason to do so.

Lea_Ontario

There is no upper age limit to harnessed seats, but there are height and weight maximums that need to be accounted for.

Also, like chickabiddy said - an 8-yr old who can properly sit in a booster is not necessarily any safer in a harnessed seat.

My 8yr old son can still fit into a Frontier with a hint of growing room left, he found it quite comfortable, but I would not (at this point) buy him a new harnessed seat.

Last edited:

cookie123

Hannah is 8 and still riding harnessed in the Nautilus. Everyone likes it that way, and so that's how it is. She's a bit on the small side for her age (sorry, no current stats) and is getting close to the top harness slots. When that happens that will be the end of it. No Frontier 85 for her! She is boostered in all other vehicles.

Kat_Momof3

I've actually seen pics (long ago back when Damian was about 5) of a short torso'd petite 11yr old in a Britax Regent.

I wouldn't buy a new harnessed seat for her and assure her she is safe in her booster.

csully4

I was just going to ask this question about my dd. She just turned 10 but is on the short side. I think she is 50 inches and 65 lbs. She has a frontier that she rides in. I am thinking of switchhing it to booster mode but having a hard time. I was worried she wouldn't be as safe. After reading these posts I think I'm ok with it. She will be happy to not have the harness anymore. Thanks for posting your question. It helped me.

SuperSafeMama

My DD is 8 (turned in Oct.) and is in a FR 85 and loves it. She is more than able to booster and infact she did for a long time, but she also likes to bend to scratch her foot or pick at her socks or grab something that is out of reach etc from time to time.

Mom-of-Two

This is a great thread because I am struggling with what to do with my 6.5yo, she is HAPPILY harnessed in a Regent and not even on the top slots, she is 44 lbs and I think 46 in. I have pretty short kiddos, although she's apparently totally 50% average size. She has tons of room left in the Regent, when I look back at her in it, she could seriously fit in that seat for years to come- the seat is darn GINORMOUS!!!! :D

We are all happy with how it is, and I don't need her seats (she rides in DH's Nautilus in his car harnessed), but sometimes I wonder at what point do I say OK, time to booster! She LOVES her Regent and like someone else said already, she thinks that plush Regent is so cozy, it's like a Lazy Boy and has told me she will never come out of it! She uses a Turbobooster on playdates or with Grandma every now and then and it fits her perfectly belt-wise, but she hates the darn thing- I would to, being used to a big plush Regent! :) The good thing is her best friend and her 7 yo sister are both still harnessed in Nautis as well, her mom and I talk car seats all the time and when we met a year ago, we were both shocked that the other were still using harnessed seats- they are the only two girls in K using one, and they both love being harnessed. Very normal and natural for them.

Buying a NEW seat to harness an 8 yo if you cannot use the seat later on, I would not do personally- I keep her harnessed b/c she has the seats and is getting the use out of them, because she is not big, and because she loves it.

I intend to harness my 3yo till 6ish, and if he wants to booster then, so be it. If I can get my daughter out of her harness by then, great!! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC