Century FF Seat?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Anyone vintage enough to be familiar with Century car seats? :) I noticed one in the back of a vehicle my husband is working on for a friend of a friend.... it's a harnessed forward facing seat, similar in style to like an Evenflo Chase seat. From looking around online I'm pretty sure it has to be expired, right?

I'm a tech and I definitely want to talk to him about the seats when he comes to get the car tomorrow - I can't get a good look at them at the moment because it's a Mustang and is currently crammed in my garage so there's not room to climb in it at this second... I want to talk to him regardless, because both seats look very loose from the way they're positioned, but I like to be prepared. :)

Hoping someone can confirm my suspicions that they were made so long ago it almost certainly has to be expired, thanks!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
That is an awesome resource, thank you!! I think it's an Accel but I'll look closer tomorrow, either way though there are a few that were made until 2004 so unless it's on the very late end it's definitely going to be expired or very close to it. Thank you!

amp

I had a FF one for my oldest, 10 yrs ago! Actually, I just took it to the BRU trade-in. We of course never used it anymore, don't ask me why we still stored it!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I had a FF one for my oldest, 10 yrs ago! Actually, I just took it to the BRU trade-in. We of course never used it anymore, don't ask me why we still stored it!

I still own DS's seat, and he is 18.

Kat_Momof3

in general, century seats are long gone from the market and anything made by them before Graco absorbed the name after they bought the company are definitely expired.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Only the convertible kept the Century name after Graco bought it, I forget the model (too lazy to click judi's link, lol) but I remember the ugly plaid cover was called Elmer. The Accel was a convertible that became the ComfortSport.
I just saw a Century today, actually, the combo booster with the totally early 90's cover....sooooooooooo expired. :(

BabyGearCollector

Coming in VERY late on this thread, but our first car seat purchased for when our daughter was born was a 1985 FF Century seat. It served us well and protected her from serious injury or possibly death when our car was hit broadside on the rear quarter. She was a month shy of two at the time. The impact spun our car 180 degrees but the seat held her in place as intended.

Yes, I'm definitely vintage enough to remember Century seats, and Strolee seats, and... ;)

Dave

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
emma41256 said:
... it's a harnessed forward facing seat, similar in style to like an Evenflo Chase seat. From looking around online I'm pretty sure it has to be expired, right?

Echoing the others, definitely expired. And it sounds like the Breverra, which I had until a few years ago, maybe? Rounded top?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
As far as I recall ANY seat with the Century name on it is expired. Yup, according to the pictorial they mostly were gone by 2002, but a few 2003 and one 2004 DOM. So all would have expired Dec 2010 :thumbsup:

We had the Century NextStep Deluxe Combo seat from the time DD1 was 18 months. It was never used as a booster though. I hated it! LOL

mommyfrog

I had three of those Century seats and remember trying to get them in tight. If I remember correctly, it was impossible or pretty darn close. It seems like they always moved around!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC