Replacing seatbelts?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
We're looking at getting a new to us F150 crew cab. The previous owner told me that he replaced the (female end?) seatbelts in the backseat. I'm obviously NOT comfortable with this and plan to get all three seatbelts replaced if we do end up getting it. Does the dealer so this? Any idea what it costs? He said that he replaced them because the red button on the female end was broken so Im not sure if it was the whole seatbelt or not, but I just dont trust "joe Schmoe" to replace seatbelts. A

Also, its a 2002 Ford F150 crew cab. Can someone with a LATCH manual tell me how many and where the TT and/or LATCH are? I'm just wondering how many and where. Thanks!

ADS

beeman

The dealer will be able to replace them, however cost may be on the expensive side due to labor. If the part is sold separate from the rest of the belt it will be affordable. The 'female end' is relatively easy to replace, as its just a single bold that goes into the chassis, however this bolt must be torqued to the manufacturers specs. If the bolt is to loose it may come unscrewed, if its too tight it will cause stress and lower its breaking point. This can be done properly by the mechanically inclined if you know the torque specs, and have a torque wrench with the proper socket.

* by female end I'm assuming you mean the side that comes out of the bench, and the belt buckles into.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member

* by female end I'm assuming you mean the side that comes out of the bench, and the belt buckles into.

Yep:) The guy told me he did it himslef and while it may be just a botl, I doubt it was done to manufacturers specs. And I'm certainly not about abotu to trust it.

Thanks!

TXAggieTech

If you are paying dealer prices on parts and labor it will be spendy. We replace our own, it really is just a bolt. Seat belts use a grade 8 bolt and a normal person can not over torque it by hand with a normal wrench. It calls for 30 foot pounds of torque which is not a lot. If you are worried about it loosen it up, go get some blue lock tite and tighten it up to a strong hand tight or borrow a torque wrench from Autozone or one of the places that lets you borrow tools and use it.

A mechanic isn't going to put as much thought into it as you are. At the factory it will be done to torque specs, but a normal mechanic will most likely not. They use impact wrenches on must stuff.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
An '02 F150 crew cab is listed as a "Super Crew" model in the LATCH manual. The '00-02 F150 Super Crew models do not have lower LATCH anchors. They do have 3 top tether anchors that are straps at the middle of the back of the seat if it's a rear bench seat, and 2 outboard top tether anchors at the middle of the back of seat if it's rear bucket seating or if it has the King Ranch option.

luckyclov

DH has a '10 SuperCrew (not sure how much has changed between '02 and '10, so it may not matter much). In the backseat, there are 3 top tethers and 2 (outboard) sets of lower anchors. The seatbelts are pretty CR friendly - atleast, I've yet to have an installation/booster issue.

ETA: OK, sorry, not helpful at all...just read the post above mine.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The 2003 F150 Super Crew models have dedicated sets of outboard LATCH, and the top tether anchor info. is the same as above for the '00-02 models - the center rear has a tether anchor if it's bench seating, but not if it's bucket seating.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
As long as the seatbelts are the correct part, just verify that they're tightened to the appropriate ft lbs. Certainly no point in replacing them, nor in paying a dealership.

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC