2006 Dodge Ram Quad cab help

kossuth

Hello all. Posting looking for advice on a new car seat. Our first car seat for our now 6 year old daughter needed replaced so we went in search of a new seat. Man, did I get more than I bargained for. Need a seat which will fit in a 2006 Dodge Ram quad cab preferably behind a seat, I know my 6 year old won't leave the little one alone even if threatened with loss of the pillow pet. My back seat is not straight across, it's got a cutout in the middle for the back seat passenger cupholders which takes probiably a good 6-10 inches off the seat bottom. Any recommendations? We tried a Graco Snugfit 30 and it is way too big, and puts the passenger seat right up against the dash. Tested out a Chicco Keyfit 30 at Buybuybaby and it's better "I'd give it a 6 outta 10 rating on fitting the truck" but not what I was looking for. I also looked at a Peg Primo Viaggio and it fits alittle better than the Chicco "I'd say 8 outta 10 fit rating" but man, the sticker shock on that joker knocked me back and made me reconsider walking outta there with one being I wasn't 100% happy with the fit. If I'm gonna get some serious cash wrapped up in a super fancy car seat it better fit the truck the way I want it to (or as close as possible) as well as keep the little one safe. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jason

ADS

cpsaddict

We have an 04 Quad Cab and used a Graco Safeseat, which is now called the Snugride 35. We had it behind the passenger seat and I did have to move the seat up some, but I was still able to sit in front of it. With the Chicco and the Graco, the handles can be up, which should give you a little more room. What exactly where the issues with fit with the Graco and the Chicco?

kossuth

You gotta have the seat all the way forward with the Graco literally to the point where you can't even get your legs between the seat and the dash. I did some explorative looking at a dealer today and it appears that the 02-05 trucks interior is different than the 06-09 trucks even though it's the same outter shell. Dash is alittle different and the front seat backs might be alittle thicker but couldn't tell for sure.

kossuth

Also wanted to add that the Chicco you can get the seat back alittle bit more so a persons legs could at least get between the seat and the dash but it's tight.

The root of the issue is the rear of the car seat when properly angled and installed hits the back of the passenger seat about three quarters of the way up if that makes sense. If the rear seat sat lower in the truck I wouldn't have this problem (or at least as much of one).

Does your truck have the storage bins under the rear seat? I have a theory about why it doesn't fit. If your truck does not I'm wondering what the measurement from the seat front down to the floor is if you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm thinking part of the interior update and maybe some of the options my truck has (Big Horn Edition) might be the source of some of my issues.

Thanks for your help.

U

Unregistered

I have the same issue in my 04 quad cab had the Chico key fit and my wife could fit in front of it but barely. Now my daughter is getting to the hight limit for the Chico but still needs to be rear facing. We are having a hard time finding anything to fit without slamming the passenger front seat into the dash.

MelodyoftheForest

This could give you a good starting place: https://carseatblog.com/22818/the-u...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

The Cosco Scenera Next can be installed as upright as you need as long as the child can sit up on their own, so it is often recommended for tight spaces, but if you could get an infant seat in that spot, you should have more options if you want them.

If you give us your daughter's age, height, weight, and how long you plan to rear-face (until 2? longer?) We should be able to give you some more suggestions.

2BunniesMommy

I was so excited to see this thread because my dad has this truck, but a 2005, that we've borrowed countless times since he got it in 2006 or so.

Sad to see that the interior changed between his MY and yours and I really am not going to be of any help. Also, any of the rear facing installs we did, were with convertible seats and toddlers old enough to be a bit more upright. Sounds like you need a newborn angle, so another place I couldn't begin to assist you with.

I really hope you can find a seat that will meet your needs.

One area that I might be able to help a bit is, is your 6 year old in a harness or boostered? If using a forward facing harnessed seat, the tethering system is super confusing-sometimes even with taking a good look at the manual. I admit to getting it wrong the first time, because I "knew" seats and installs and didn't even read the manual. Kicked myself once I came across a post here about it and made sure to get it right for future uses, but if that didn't change from 2005 to 2006 MY, it is tricky and odd.

If your child is in a harnessed seat and you haven't yet figured it out, please carefully read the tether section in the manual and post back here from an assist if you have questions after reading that. It's been awhile for me, my kids are now a 5 stepper and a backless booster user that will be 5 stepping way too soon for my personal comfort level, but probably sometime this year. However, I think with a look at the instructions, it will come back to me since I did do it a number of times years ago. If you already got it figured out, you ROCK!!!

2BunniesMommy

Also, as I hit post, I noticed there are 5 old posts at the bottom of yours, none of them say(in the titles) what year truck they are asking about, but based on the dates of the posts, at least some are likely to have the same interior as yours.

Of course the available seats have changed since those posts, but since some are still available, even if slightly different, reading through them may give you a bit of guidance.

I assume the same "similar threads" show for anyone while reading your thread, so as long as that option is down there for you, it could be worth looking through those threads and each one could lead to other, possibly more recent, threads.

I'd really hoped to be able to help when I saw what truck you are asking about, but I guess the best I can do is wish you good luck and keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC