Thinking of selling my RA55.

zactayaus

I really do like this seat but I hate, hate, hate buckling ds into it. He uses this seat RF'ing in the center of dh's 2006 Chevy Silverado (crew cab). He only rides in it 2-3 times a week.

Let me see if I can explain the problem. Not only is it hard to get him up and over the side of this seat, I can barely get the crotch buckle done up because of ds's huge thighs and apparently long legs. His knees are so bent up that it makes his thighs up even higher to get the hip straps up and over them to buckle. Even if I try and straighten his legs up, which puts his feet way up high on the back of the vehicle seat (I know that's really not an issue) his thighs are up so high. Do you know what I mean? In his MA65 I'm able to throw his feet over the sides of the bottom of the seat so his thighs lay flat and there's no problem buckling. Does that even make sense? It's so hard to explain.

I don't know if I should keep it for when he's FF'ing or just sell it now. He only has about 2 inches of growth left to RF in this seat and his shoulders are just over the 2nd to the top slots. If he were FF in it now he'd need the straps on the top slots already. So I'm afraid that by the time we're ready to use it FF'ing he'll have already outgrown it. Ugh.:(

ADS

LittlePeanut

Yeah I know what you mean and if you do as the PP suggested and have him sit nearly cross-legged, it will flatten his thighs down for easier buckling.

Kat_Momof3

I'd sell it... that is no small boy you have there and I don't see him having a lot of ff room when he outgrows it rf.

I think you should get yourself a truefit... there's some room for legs... and it sits low... or maybe a safety 1st CA?

featherhead

You will have the same problem in the True Fit. I say go with a Radian. It works beautifully for my dd who is very similarly sized/proportioned.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Before you consider a Radian - consider how flat or sloped that seating position is. When I tried the Radian rf in DH's 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab (with really flat seats) it was crazy reclined and DS2 absolutely hated it.

zactayaus

You will have the same problem in the True Fit. I say go with a Radian. It works beautifully for my dd who is very similarly sized/proportioned.

Before you consider a Radian - consider how flat or sloped that seating position is. When I tried the Radian rf in DH's 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab (with really flat seats) it was crazy reclined and DS2 absolutely hated it.

Already tried the RN and it was insanely reclined. I was so disappointed. No matter what I did and what tips and tricks I tried it was not working.

I have an MR but I'm hesitant to use it there because I just feel better with a tethered RF seat in a pickup. KWIM.

I did try crossing his legs tonight and it was a little better but still not great. Maybe I will look into a TF like Kat_Momof3 suggested. It'd have to be the premier for the anti rebound bar though.

solmama

I think what people are saying is that you'd have the same buckling challenge with the TF. The crotch buckle on a TF is really short and the sides of the seat are deeper than a RA.

My ds is skinny-crazy skinny, and he stopped riding in the TF as his ff seat over a year ago. He complained that it hurt his boy parts. :(. I also kept pinching his thighs (his skinny thighs!) when I buckled him.

Maybe the MR is the way to go?

featherhead

I think what people are saying is that you'd have the same buckling challenge with the TF. The crotch buckle on a TF is really short and the sides of the seat are deeper than a RA.

My ds is skinny-crazy skinny, and he stopped riding in the TF as his ff seat over a year ago. He complained that it hurt his boy parts. :(. I also kept pinching his thighs (his skinny thighs!) when I buckled him.

Yes, I have a True Fit and I had that problem with DD1. I tried DD2 in it for a while, and had the same problem with her too, though not quite as bad.

zactayaus

Yes, I have a True Fit and I had that problem with DD1. I tried DD2 in it for a while, and had the same problem with her too, though not quite as bad.

Ah, gotcha. Very good to know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC