Did I really need a Frontier 85?

lorinick

Ok so I bought I Britax Frontier for 174.00. Good deal. I guess.

My ds is 3.5 in 2 days. He's 35lb ff in the BV and MA. I just checked him in the MA that dh has in his car. He just passed the second harness height on older MA 65. So I moved it up. He has pleanty of room before his shoulders are even level with the 3rd harness height.

Question is could he just stay in the MA till 5? Do you think he'll last that long. At 5 I will be fine with a booster such as the Montery or parkway SGL.

I won't be having any more kids. So I don't need to pass it down. Even with the deal it's a lot of money. I'm not interested in the GN at all. He still looks great in the MA and BV. So what would you guys do?

Should I keep?
Return?
Or other?

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just wondering first off, why aren't you interested in the Graco Nautilus?

lorinick

Don't like the harness lenght or the skinner seat and the head wings better. Nothing wrong with it. Just prefer the Frontier.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Use it for awhile and sell it for a profit on craigslist if you don't like it? We just really love ours, the deep leg support, the ample crotch room, the excellent sleep support, excellent fit as a booster (better than the Monterey for a skinny kid, much better leg support and comfort than the Parkway for a taller kid), and it will fit longer as a harnessed seat than what you have 'just in case' your ds isn't ready for a booster when he outgrows the BV (I know Leah's sure not ready for a booster at 5, and I'm glad she's only on the second to top notch of the FR80).
But yeah, it's spendy... sleep on it for a day or two (ouch, that will cause some back pain, I guess ;)) and try to decide. No harm in asking your kiddo if he really likes it, and if he does, CL the BV to recoup some of your costs, it won't be much worse than 100$+ for a good booster in two years, really.

Kat_Momof3

first, at 5, and built like that, it's unlikely the monterey or pkwy sg would fit him well... so I think you'd be looking at a recaro booster or a turbobooster... but back to the main point.

that is a FANTASTIC deal for a frontier.

And while he could probably stay in the MA and BV until 5-6, I'd probably take this opportunity to switch him. I like kids that are ff to be able to get in and out of their own seats... and data on head excursion and all that seems to also prefer seats that sit low... so I'd probably keep the frontier and get rid of one of your britax convertibles...

Also, the Frontier makes an AWESOME booster when the time comes... superior to the parkway sg (and for his build, probably to the Monterey or most other boosters)

You can get an SG clip from britax and use it with the frontier if it didn't come with one when the time comes for booster transition.

I'd keep it... and for that price, I might get a second one and get rid of BOTH britax convertibles.

ETA: Julie... how the HECK did Leah get to be FIVE??

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Don't like the harness lenght or the skinner seat and the head wings better. Nothing wrong with it. Just prefer the Frontier.

Okay, I was just wondering if it was the crotch "issue" that people seem to have.

And wanted to add, for the price you got, I'd keep the Frontier85.

urchin_grey

Personally, I'd keep it and sell the convertibles. I'm not the biggest fan of convertibles FF though (well, with the exception of the Radian just because it sits so low).

lorinick

Use it for awhile and sell it for a profit on craigslist if you don't like it? We just really love ours, the deep leg support, the ample crotch room, the excellent sleep support, excellent fit as a booster (better than the Monterey for a skinny kid, much better leg support and comfort than the Parkway for a taller kid), and it will fit longer as a harnessed seat than what you have 'just in case' your ds isn't ready for a booster when he outgrows the BV (I know Leah's sure not ready for a booster at 5, and I'm glad she's only on the second to top notch of the FR80).
But yeah, it's spendy... sleep on it for a day or two (ouch, that will cause some back pain, I guess ;)) and try to decide. No harm in asking your kiddo if he really likes it, and if he does, CL the BV to recoup some of your costs, it won't be much worse than 100$+ for a good booster in two years, really.

Just noticed they are 09's.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

they're 3yrs old... so take what you paid for them and divide it by two... and then if you want them sold FAST... subtract about 50 bucks.

jujumum

I'd totally keep it if you can afford it. At 3.5, my dd fit cute and cozy in her MA/BV ff. But, as she grew to over 4 yrs, being up on the base became kind of weird. She didn't have much leg support, and it seemed like she was just perched up there in the seat. She loves the 'big kid' seat look of the GN & FN and totally loves the cupholders. I much prefer them to most convertibles ff.:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
ETA: Julie... how the HECK did Leah get to be FIVE??

I know, right?!?!?!!? I need to get her Birthday carseat portraits taken and posted fast :love:

Yeah, Lori, I saw your PM, that's why I came here :thumbsup: I agree with the BV pricing, I'm sure they'll go quick at half of retail price.

lorinick

I know, right?!?!?!!? I need to get her Birthday carseat portraits taken and posted fast :love:

Yeah, Lori, I saw your PM, that's why I came here :thumbsup: I agree with the BV pricing, I'm sure they'll go quick at half of retail price.

Julie, It's an 09 BV. Should I sell on CL or is there a better place? I've never sold on CL before.

luckyclov

I'd keep it. $174 for a FR85 is a freakin' awesome deal. I'd have bought it in a heartbeat and saved it for my little guy (he's 1) for a few years (9 year expiry on the FR). I just bought one for my DD, who is 6, a few months ago. Plus, the FR85 converts to a pretty decent belt positioning booster once the harness is outgrown. And there's also a chance that, even at 5, he wouldn't fit properly in the Monterey or PWSG/L, so you'd still need to keep him harnessed. With the FR85, you have your "what if" bases fully covered.:)

Mom-of-Two

I am in a similar situation- my guy just turned 3, he was just turned FF a few months ago, he's in a MA (33lb one). LOVE LOVE LOVE more than I can say the MA while RF and so did he, but as a FF seat for a 3 yo, while comfy and great for sleeping, its up way high and that seems odd, and even more odd at 4-5 years old. He does climb in and out, no issues there, he is starting to complain about his crotch area, even though to me it does not seem tight and is not underneath him at all, however there are no crotch strap adjustments which I hate!

We are not having more kids, so if I get him a Frontier, he'd use it through his booster years. He is 33 lb and 36 in so I am also unsure of how he'd fit in the Frontier, thinking of trying him out at BRU, there are so many good deals right now I don't want to miss them!

My MA has 3 years left on it, and is in brand new condition so I hate to not use it when he fits!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC