Amazing - my 21 month old fits in a Safe Seat 1

oxeye

Granted she's tiny - 23 pounds, 30.5" (5% or something like that for height) but my sister just bought one for her 5 month old and I put Eva in it to see how she fit. I'm seriously amazed that my almost two year old could still ride in an infant carrier!

I'm very impressed with the seat - it's leaps and bounds above the Snugride I had for my girls. I tried installing it with a seatbelt and the lock-off made it effortless. Britax may need to take some lessons from Graco as far as the lock-offs are concerned. ;)

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'll trump your tiny toddler and raise you --- I tried my then 23 month old, 29.5 pound, longish torso son in this seat and he was at the point where he would almost need a new seat -- I would have been switching him within a week or two if we had been using it. I tried him in it at BRU & was SHOCKED!!! He outgrew the snugride at 3.5 months by height! He had 1 inch above his head and .5 pound until the weight limit max.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Uhhmm... is it really bad that I actually want to have another baby just to try out the sacred SafeSeat1? :eek: Fortunately, that's just not a viable option right now

I haven't heard ONE complaint about this seat so far! *sigh* My DD stayed in her infant seat for a whole 3 months. I'm jealous of getting that much use out of an infant seat!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I haven't heard ONE complaint about this seat so far!

My one teeny, tiny complaint is that it does not have harness covers, grr!

Mikkel outgrew the snugride (20lb, 26in model) at 5 months - by height. He only weighed 12lbs! I tried him in the SS1 at 22 months (26lbs at the time) and he had 1/4" left heightwise before he would have outgrown it... to clarify he had 1 1/4" between the top of his head and the hard shell.

We are planning #3 to arrive next spring and he/she will be getting an SS1... unless something spectacular comes on the market to triumph the SS1!

natysr

I tried my son in it at the store. He barely squeeked by in fitting in it, but he did fit!

He is...drum roll please.....32 months old.
23.75 pounds
34 inches...he has long legs.

ThreeBeans

I tried my son in it at the store. He barely squeeked by in fitting in it, but he did fit!

He is...drum roll please.....32 months old.
23.75 pounds
34 inches...he has long legs.

You should take a picture of that and send it to Graco :thumbsup:

My 30 monther is darned near 40 inches tall and would never fit in that seat :p

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
It really is an awesome seat. I bought one for our 10 month daughter and just for kicks I put my son in it. He will be 3 next month and is at 27lbs and ~ 38" tall. He's barely got an inch of headroom left in the SafeSeat, so he fits much better in his RF Decathlon :D

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Long legs there! Our house is all torso. Evan outgrew the SS1 in height right at 24 mos, I expect Ilana to do it at that time too. He's only 24# though and was 33".

LiLBunz

Would you all find the Safe Seat 1 to be a better option for a 3 month old 13.5 lbs than the Britax Boulevard? Im torn on which to get. I was leaning more towards the Britax but after seeing this tread, Im not sure! LOL :p

Trisha - mama to 4 boys!
www.lilbunz.com

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Would you all find the Safe Seat 1 to be a better option for a 3 month old 13.5 lbs than the Britax Boulevard? Im torn on which to get. I was leaning more towards the Britax but after seeing this tread, Im not sure! LOL :p

Trisha - mama to 4 boys!
www.lilbunz.com

I would want an SS1 for the carrier capability. At only 3 months you have tons of time left in an SS1... that's what I would get.

oxeye

Trisha - mama to 4 boys!
www.lilbunz.com

I agree with the previous poster that it would be nice to have the infant carrier since your DS is still so young.

You'll probably end up buying the Boulevard anyway though (or another comparable convertible). While my 21 month old would still fit in the Safe Seat, I don't think I'd still have her in it at this point. I think she's more comfortable in the convertible. Plus she'd be just about to outgrow the Safe Seat when she *easily* has 1.5-2 years left RF in her Marathon. So if you want to ERF (which IIRC, you do) then you'll still want the HWH convertible. It's not like you'll be able to move him directly from the SS1 to a Regent (or other comparable FF-only seat).

I guess it depends - the convenience of the SS1 would be nice but are you willing to buy both seats eventually?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I know! Leah just keeps fitting AT the top slots... now she's 15 months old and STILL has like 3 inches over her head in that seat. Maybe she can keep in it long enough for the Recaro to ever come out or the pink Radian cover to be sold separately, lol! (she's 32 inches, 80th %ile, mostly leg)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC