Question Rethinking travel with seat

dragonfly8

My soon to be 5 year old and I are flying with westjet in 3 weeks, and I was going to pack a booster to use while we were there. Now that he's broken his arm I'm thinking it will just be safer to bring a car seat. I can take either the radian or the true fit. Can the tf go on the plane?
Question though, how do I manage a 5 year old who I'll have to hold on to in a large airport, a car seat and one large suitcase, by myself?
Guess I have some problem solving to do!
We're not driving while we're there, we're taking a shuttle to and from the airport so it will only be used minimally while we're there. Will he be safer on the plane in the car seat? It sounds like a stupid question but I'm stressing about it now!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

amyd

I'd take the Radian. Wear it like a backpack. Put another backpack on DS for his carry on. Pull suitcase behind you. You couldn't pay me enough to drag a TF through an airport. Yes, the Radian weighs more but is not as unwieldy.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

I would bring a booster and have him wear a seatbelt on the plane. I know you said he didn't do well in the booster but since you're shuttling you can sit next to him and cue him to stay in position.

Pixels

I'd take the Radian. Wear it like a backpack. Put another backpack on DS for his carry on. Pull suitcase behind you. You couldn't pay me enough to drag a TF through an airport. Yes, the Radian weighs more but is not as unwieldy.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

:yeahthat: possibly using one of those kid leashes. You will need use of your hands when you check in and going through security, and if he's liable to run or disappear on you, a leash would go a long way towards keeping you together.

Everyone would be safer in a harness on a plane. Due to the lack of upper torso restraint, we are all at risk of hitting our heads on the seat in front of us in severe turbulence. Is it enough of a risk that I worry about it? Not really. But you asked.

If you do use the booster, try to position him so that the shoulder belt is coming from the same side as the casted arm. Kids often roll out of the belt anyway, let's not add uneven weight distribution to help him roll out.

dragonfly8

You know, I should find out what kind of seat belts the shuttle has. From the picture on the website, it looks like a greyhound type of bus.

I think that will (obviously) help me decide!

Him and this fall, it's just added one more thing for me to worry about!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC