Recaro Pro Booster?

vtbecca

I'm starting some booster training with my 5.5 year old. He currently rides in a regent. We have an about to expire Evenflo big kid (seems really flimsy), a graco Turbobooster (I like it but he still sometimes sleeps in the car and the head rests don't seem to provide much resting space) and 2 FP safe voyage boosters. I like the FPSV but one is still being used by my 7 year old and I'll keep the other as a spare in DHs car. I also would like one that has a bit more coverage. Maybe more cocoon like, if that makes sense.

Here's the issue: Liam has a neuro issue called a Chiari Malformation and his head is VERY long front to back. We tried the Nautilus when it came out and I loved it except that it really pushed his head far forward. I'm also wondering if given the chiari he may be better off in a booster. It seems (this is just my uninformed guess) that in a crash his head would fly forward in the regent and chest would stay too tight. A BPB would allow his whole torso to move in one motion, possibly being safer for him. This may be totally incorrect but as he's getting older my fears about his very large head are getting bigger.

I've looked online at some boosters and the ones that seem to provide the most body coverage are the Monterey, Pro Booster, and Vivo. Do the head rests on any of those push the head forward? It's so hard to tell from pictures! Are there others that are also protective? Liam weighs in the 46-48 lb range and is not the calmest child, but so far on trials with our boosters he's sat very still, aware that if he doesn't he goes back to the regent.

Sorry for the super long post, I just want him to be in the best seat possible as neck and head injuries have the potential to cause much more injury in him than other kids.

Becca

ADS

britfish

We have the Vivo and it does not push DD's head forward. That being said it seems to be one of the more narrow booster and the seat is short (like doesn't reach the edge of the vehicle seat). It fits my DD very well, however I am saving my pennies for a Probooster because the seat portion is longer and G'ma needs a new seat anyway!

MommyBoha

We went from a Regent to a ProBooster. I love the fact that he looks cradled in it. Its my favorite booster

vtbecca

Thanks! It looks like a pretty plush and comfy seat and so much more protective than many boosters (only drawback for him is that it's not pink. He loves pink:)

Becca

emandbri

I went and measured them and the headwings on the pro booster are 6 3/4 inches and the monterey 8 inches.

Does he sleep in the car? My son didn't sleep well in the pro booster because it was then tippy.

How much does he weigh and how tall is he? The monterey is sometimes too wide for smaller kids.

Here are some pictures of him in the pro booster and the monterey.

He is 7 1/2, 51 1/2 inches and 55 lbs.

Here is a bigger picture of him in the monterey in my siggy

IMG_1050.JPG

here he is in the probooster
IMG_0631.JPG

and here he is sleeping in the pro booster. :thumbsdown:

IMG_0919.JPG

here he is sleeping in the monterey
IMG_0881.JPG

Here he is in the monterey at 6 1/2. I think he was 48 inches and 50 lbs but I could be off.

IMG_0439.JPG

Do you have latch? Some boosters can be latched and you then don't have to buckle it when not occupied (except for the cybex fix-x which says to still buckle it in.)

vtbecca

Irishmama, thanks for the link. Not sure DH would go for that one :)

Emandbri, thanks for the many pics! I'm definitely not crazy about the tipping of the probooster. We drive a 2006 Sienna so we do have latch. That is a nice plus that the Monterey latches. It's a big seat but I know it would last him as long as he needs the booster.

He is 44 lbs and 44 inches. Kind of average/small.

Becca

Kat_Momof3

yeah, then the monterey probably won't fit him well... it typically only fits bigger broader kids well.

the probooster only has tipping issues in the 3rd row of certain vehicles... if you can keep it in the 2nd row, it probably won't have that issue.

emandbri

Sorry he had just turned 5, not sure how to edit on my iPod. All the pictures are in my 2004 sienna. I don't recall if he ever fell asleep in the middle row.

vtbecca

Now I don't know what to get! Hmm. I wish I could try them somewhere. We may stop at a TRU and see if they have either one. Thanks for all the help!

Irishmama, I just noticed that you have chiari! Any surgeries? Liam was diagnosed at age 1 and still hasn't had surgery, watching and waiting!

Becca

Irishmama

Irishmama, I just noticed that you have chiari! Any surgeries? Liam was diagnosed at age 1 and still hasn't had surgery, watching and waiting!

Becca

I was just diagnosed last year, but I have most likely had it from birth or early childhood. No surgeries, we are just watching and waiting too. I found an awesome neurologist who doesn't recommend surgery automatically. PM me if you want to, I'll be happy to talk more about it. I don't want to hijack your thread! ;)

vtbecca

Thanks for all the help. Still undecided!

Emandbri: In the pictures of the Monterey vs. probooster it looks like your son's arms are kind of squished in the probooster? Is it really that way? Liam doesn't like being super confined. In fact if his torso is too squished he sometimes gags and vomits (which is why we have a very little used RSTV is my husband's trunk!)The monterey is definitely roomier. I also looked at another thread that had comparisons with the Britax one with the little crotch strap. Does anyone know if kids seem to like that one? Not as full coverage though.

Is there anyone who would be willing to get a pic of the head rests of the probooster and monterey from the top, straight down? I really am concerned to order a seat and have it incompatible with Liam's head.

Thanks again, you guys are all so helpful. I'm a bit of a car seat mutant among my friends and neighbors, I think they all think I'm crazy but I like to be comfortable and safe so I want my kids to be too!
Becca

Kat_Momof3

if I still had a monterey... and no where around here stocks the probooster.

I would say her son looks a bit smushed in the probooster because he is one broad-shouldered lad.

to try to give you an idea of the difference...

Here is a comparison of the probooster and the vivo - http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=131835

and the probooster and the Monterey (and Parkway sg) - http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=140917

and here are pics of my daughter from last year in the vivo and Monterey... as you can tell, she's quite slim and the shoulderbelt fit on her in the Monterey is just not ideal.

RuthieJan2010Monterey.jpg

RuthieJan2010Vivo.jpg
(the vivo was not tipping... it's the angle of me kneeling in the van and holding the camera)

emandbri

Thanks for all the help. Still undecided!

Emandbri: In the pictures of the Monterey vs. probooster it looks like your son's arms are kind of squished in the probooster? Is it really that way? Liam doesn't like being super confined. .....

I also looked at another thread that had comparisons with the Britax one with the little crotch strap. Does anyone know if kids seem to like that one? Not as full coverage though.

He never complained about it. I don't recall if the sides are adjustable or not, I think they aren't. My driveway is covered in a sheet of ice so I can't go check right now or get any pictures! lol The sides on the monterey are adjustable. In most of my pictures they are as narrow as they go but sometimes they slip open. The one where he is wearing the green shirt they are out a bit.

vtbecca

Kat, Thanks for those pictures. I see how the shoulder belt is. I think the monterey might not work for Liam. He's not a very big kid, especially in the shoulders. The Vivo looks better all around.

Emandbri, thanks for the willingness to go out, I definitely don't want you to risk safety to get pictures :) No rush anyway. I haven't found any stellar deals on either so I have some time!

Thanks for the help!

Becca

Kat_Momof3

I agree.. the vivo or probooster would be my pick for a slim kid... Jeffrey, much like Benjamin (pictured above) is just anything BUT that... henceforth why I had the Monterey.

What (aside from the money, though I could probably skimp and save it up if I needed to) has kept me from buyng a probooster is that Ruthie isn't remotely leggy... and the vivo vs. probooster thread shows me that her knees would either JUST be starting to bend at the edge (don't know if you could tell, but in the Monterey last year, they weren't remotely starting to bend comfortably, let alone at the true edge)... or they might not even yet... (not that you can really tell how her legs have grown in my siggy pic, but almost all her over 3" in growth this year has been in her legs)

I think whatever booster you go with, he's gonna love it, but I definitely would go recaro for him with him needing deep supportive headwings and him being narrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC