Vent Why can't I find a HBB that works for my child/car!

apsupermom

Grrrrr! I swear I have tried so many at this point!

My requirements: must have EPS at least around the head, prefer around torso also.

My son is almost 7 and 45lbs and really small all around.

TB- the belt in the rd row bunches up and it doesn't fit well on his shoulder

Monterrey-didn't fit him, too wide

Vivo- great belt fit but belt doesn't stay in the shoulder route (at all!!) and DS HATES the shortness of the bottom seat. His legs fall asleep.

I can't afford a Clek, Harmony Dreamrider doesn't have EPS foam...

What is left to try? Parkway?

ADS

Kat_Momof3

the Probooster is deeper than the Vivo... and it fits slim kids well, too.

I'd try it

Evenflo Big Kid DLX - only the DLX has the eps foam in the headrest... it's worth a shot, but keep an eye on the lapbelt (make sure to try the armrests in the low position), because it can be iffy or poor on small booster riders.

there's also the Chicco Keyfit Strada

The combi Kobuk has eps foam and fits slim/shorter kids really really well... it's a little trickier in terms of buckling, which is why you don't see it mentioned often, but it's a great booster - http://www.albeebaby.com/combi-kobuk-air-tru-booster-car-seat-in-licorice.html

The cybex boosters of course have eps foam.

Maxi Cosi's Rodi & Rodi XR have epp foam and might be a good choice if you have the tall, flat (possibly adjustable) headrests/seatbacks to accomodate them - and I found some sales for ya on them - http://www.albeebaby.com/macoroboseby3.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-rodi-xr-booster-car-seat-frisbee.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-rodi-xr-booster-car-seat-roasted-brown.html

And while the Safety 1st Boost Air does NOT have EPP foam (that I'm aware of) it has their new air protection that they're using instead of foam these days... the air pillows!)
http://www.albeebaby.com/safety-1st-boost-air-protect-booster-car-seat-bc027atk.html

None of the others I can think of that have eps foam would probably fit him well, so that's where I stop.

cookie123

I'd been waiting and waiting for something with LATCH to come out that I could afford and would work. I ordered the Parkway SGL and was so excited. Well, the seatbelt was literally off the shoulder on Brett and it didn't pull very well in the belt guide, which seemed to be at an odd angle or something.

I have no good suggestions. I use the TB for Hannah which is a good fit, and the Safe Voyage which is discontinued, for Brett. He'll be outgrowing that soon, anyway.

apsupermom

Oh I forgot the Combi Kobuk...worst belt fit ever. Right over his tummy.

I would love a cybex but yeah way to much money...I can't spend more than 130 bucks or so

I don't trust the air pillow thing...sorry I need more research besides theirs...

I will check out the evenflow... ...I lucked in the Monterrey with a BOGO one at Kohl's with a friend.

Last edited:

apsupermom

There's no research on EPS foam either.

There are hundreds of scientific studies of EPS foam's energy absorption properties and to what mPa it works at different thicknesses in different applications. It has been used in bicycle helmets for a couple decades and in motorcycle helmets even longer than that. I feel pretty comfortable saying it has a pretty extensive track record for providing protection and that I can trust it to be an extra energy absorber in the event of an accident. I have my own comfort level for new technology and the air bags on the complete air seats is not in my zone.

apsupermom

So thinking probooster. I did aforum search and I didn't find any threads with pictures compare or the vivo and the probooster. I know it says it is a longer seat bed but I would really like to see that it is, you know?

Anyone a better searcher than I am and found something?

apsupermom

SO that is quite a bit wider. The one thing giving me pause is that it seems to have a tipping problem in my car, 2006 Sienna 3rd row...

I think I'm going to borrow my MIL turbo today and just double check...I also have an extra Nautilus...I may try him in booster mode in that just to see how well he fits.

Thanks for everyone's help!

autumnlily

I have a 2007 Sienna...

What seating positions did you want checked???

And a Chicco KeyFit Strada. I will take my DD out (after pre-K) and check how well it fits back there (belt bunching, etc).

My DD is much too small to booster but it will give you a good idea. She is 41" and about 36lbs. Skinny.

Kat_Momof3

hey, we love a challenge!

I'm thinking you'd love the chicco strada, then... because it has all the other requirements and wouldn't be tippy... Heather has hers listed on swap for a good price, too

autumnlily

Sorry for the delay!

I really really like it in the third row passenger side. I didn't want to uninstall the TFP to try behind the drivers side... but I'm sure it works well too. Fit was awesome on her and I let her ride in it for the 1.1 miles from her Pre-K to our house. By the end of the 7 min drive she said it hurt her bottom and she liked the "blue" booster better (ProBooster)... however, I believe she was holding her body so tight because this was her only other adventure sitting in a booster (she rode the ProBooster for the same drive a month ago). I preferred the fit of the Strada more and honestly don't remember how well the ProBooster fit.

I slightly tilted the back bench.

I will have some belt path photo's in a moment but thought I'd share these two. My model is 5y2m to the day. 41" tall and 36lbs fully clothed. She is smack inbetween size 4 and size 5 clothing (4 is too short and 5 is too long and sometimes needs some help staying on her little booty :eek:).

Strada020111v1-vi.jpg

Strada020111v2-vi.jpg

apsupermom

Thank you so much for doing that. It was even helpful to see it next to the TFP since I have one of those for the 2 yr old as well...I really like how that seat looks on your dd, she seems to be on the same growth path as my son and I would say he is about her size in the shoulders. I did find a local store that has them so I'm going to check it out on ds asap!

apsupermom

He does sleep in the car still when we drive to Denver (about an hour away) or on other longish trips. Thank you for that feedback as well!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC