Marathon or RSTV?

Jonah Baby

Odd combo, I know.
Or can you convince me to something else?

AND NO! NO MAESTRO! NOT sold on the Maestro, uh uh. Not happening.

You've all heard about the issues regarding J riding in my parent's vehicles and of the issues making his FR85 incompatible with Stepmom's Fit.
J has two seats - Wizard (which expires this March) and his FR85. His torso height makes me uncomfortable with putting him in the MyRide any longer, so he's almost 16" in the torso.
I am absolutely IN LOVE with Avery's Zebra Marathon. I don't know why, I just am, even when I don't like Britax seats much to begin with. Our Marathon has give or take 18-24 months of life left on it (I'll check next time it's out, I forgot.) When it expires, I've already decided I want another Marathon to put the Zebra cover on. Silly, ridiculous, waste of money, I know, but there are few things that I get my way with in life and I want my way on this one.
(So my thought is maybe I'll buy that "replacement" Marathon, off swap probably, sooner rather than later and have J use it when not in my van, instead of fiddling with a FR85 install 3+ times a week.)

Marathon has the benefit that even if Stepmom doesn't harness J in exactly as I like, I know for a fact that I can install the seat for her correctly and safely in either of their vehicles when they need it. I know that it works decently in my Mom's car as well and Mom is familiar with the Britax convertibles and can even be trusted to install them on short notice. I know that I can safely get this convertible in and installed for J in MIL's van if needed. And, I know that later, it can be put into Zebra clothing and handed down to the younger little.
The Marathon, in theory, would get J harnessed to an age where I will feel comfortable boostering him in other people's vehicles (mainly in Stepmom's car/care.)

But, the RSTV is small, portable, convenient, etc. I know my Mom would use it exactly as intended and would use it often. For people that have little space, this is a good alternative to another plastic, heavy shell seat. I don't think that Stepmom would ever use it correctly, however. I've asked on several occasions, that if I went this route, would she come see a CPST with me to learn how to use it and she avoids answering. I'm thinking the little misuse with the Marathon plan is safer than the potential misuse with the RSTV.

We have looked at the Complete Air now that they are down in price. J has a thicker build to him, and so the harness REALLY rubs his neck. The Nauti is down right uncomfortable for him, so both these options were dropped.
Part of me keeps thinking I want to get a hold of a Laptop (even if a teeny expired...:whistle:) We considered another Radian, but I will not buy a $300 seat at this point for him, I will buy one IF I find one in swap for a good price, but it would still be in competition with a Marathon. I've also never installed the Radian in Stepmom's car, so maybe it won't even work.

Thoughts?

ADS

rachelandtyke

So do you have a MR? Reading it through made it sound like you do even though you didn't list it, so sorry if I missed something. Could you put A in the MR and J in the MA - just swap them out?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC