Which would you put your child in?

tl01

Assuming that both seats are installed properly and are being used properly, would you prefer your child to be in a Frontier 80 or the new SS? The seat would be used by my DS1 in FFing harness mode. It would be installed with a seat belt and tethered

...To clarify the question... the only two choices are the Frontier 80 or the SS. I'm wondering where each seat should be installed. One will likely go in my car and the other in DH's car. DS1 rarely rides DH's car so I'd prefer the better seat to be in my car. (We are getting rid of our Frontier 85 as I'm not thrilled with it... have tried the Prosport and the Nauti... the only other option down the road might be the new 1st years seat unless I'm missing another seat.)

Last edited:
ADS

Kat_Momof3

I prefer the look of the frontier... it looks more comfy to me... also, I'd like the seat (when we're talking about that price point and the fact it is designed to become a booster) to be useable in booster mode as a really good booster, and I think the frontier is just much better as a booster.

StPaulMom

I'd go with the Frontier, simply because it doesnt make any sense to get the SS for a child who will only be FF.

tl01

But I have a DS2 who will use it after it is done being used in harness mode. He will use it RFing. We would not use it in booster mode.

tl01

Kat_Momof3 said:
I prefer the look of the frontier... it looks more comfy to me... also, I'd like the seat (when we're talking about that price point and the fact it is designed to become a booster) to be useable in booster mode as a really good booster, and I think the frontier is just much better as a booster.

We won't be using it in booster mode.

StPaulMom

But I have a DS2 who will use it after it is done being used in harness mode. He will use it RFing. We would not use it in booster mode.

All the less reason to get it, IMO. I'd get a dedicated FF seat for your older child, then a booster. Then when your younger child is ready for another seat, you can get what works best for that child (which may or may not be the SS).

tl01

StPaulMom said:
All the less reason to get it, IMO. I'd get a dedicated FF seat for your older child, then a booster. Then when your younger child is ready for another seat, you can get what works best for that child (which may or may not be the SS).

I would either get the SS for him or wait for the new first years seat. I don't like the frontier 85 in either of our cars and he has terrible head slump in the nauti. We will need another seat for DS2 when he outgrows the SS1 in DH's car. That might only be a few months. If I need another seat bc DS1 still needs a harness only seat we can use the CCO.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Have you tried the ProSport? I'm not thrilled about the wonky seatbelt install issue, but my daycare girl has slept in it twice this week and it's been beautiful, totally comfy-looking with zero head slump.

I haven't laid hands on the SS yet, so I'm not sure how I feel about it. My gut says Frontier but I have a feeling after I mess with the SS I may change my mind. I tend to love Graco products.

tl01

Carrie_R said:
Have you tried the ProSport? I'm not thrilled about the wonky seatbelt install issue, but my daycare girl has slept in it twice this week and it's been beautiful, totally comfy-looking with zero head slump.

I haven't laid hands on the SS yet, so I'm not sure how I feel about it. My gut says Frontier but I have a feeling after I mess with the SS I may change my mind. I tend to love Graco products.

I did:(. I posted pics of DS1 in that seat too about 2 weeks ago. The seatbelt install was too weird for me. The belt was crossing over the harness no matter what. I did discover that our seat belts are adjustable after the fact but I was still bothered. I suspect it will might have been an issue for the top slot since the vehicle belt was on the bottom notch.

To clarify the question... the only two choices are the Frontier 80 or the SS. I'm wondering where each seat should be installed. One will likely go in my car and the other in DH's car. DS1 rarely rides DH's car so I'd prefer the better seat to be in my car.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

well, without plans to use either in booster mode, I'd say it will depend which one you prefer... I still prefer the looks of the frontier... but not everyone will feel the same... I'd try to find a BRU with both in stock and go play.

tl01

Kat_Momof3 said:
well, without plans to use either in booster mode, I'd say it will depend which one you prefer... I still prefer the looks of the frontier... but not everyone will feel the same... I'd try to find a BRU with both in stock and go play.

We own a pwsg right now and I have a habit of not keeping seats very long. It could get used in booster mode someday but I'd likely buy a dedicated booster instead... Something latchable.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I did:(. I posted pics of DS1 in that seat too about 2 weeks ago.

I knew that! I remember the pics now that you say it. (And you said it in your first post! :doh:)

I'm not sure that either is the "better" seat. I'll be really interested to see the HE numbers for the SS. I'd probably lean towards the Frontier, since it's lower profile, but since both seats will be installed/used properly I would truly just put the one you prefer (like the use of, install of, color of, whatever) in your car and the other in DH's.

babyherder

Frontier. It comes in cooler cover options.

Plus, since I'm a little paranoid, I think that I'd go for a seat without a base since that's one less step that could potentially fail.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC