More pics (pic heavy) and thoughts on the Smart Seat

tl01

I went ahead and bought a Larkin Smart Seat. I want to use it now for DS1 FFing in DH's car since I'm going to sell his Frontier 85. After he is done with it in harness mode, I'll switch it to a RFing seat in my car. Overall, I like the seat though it does have some flaws. I continue to have a challenge with switching it btwn RFing and FFing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... but it just seems to be a bit of a challenge. The seat is awkward and it is hard to get all the pins lined up the first time. I installed the seat in my 2011 Odyssey in the outboard position and RFing it take up way more room than my BLVD 70. I knew this would be the case but I was bummed that I have to move my seat up past where I'd usually put it. THe Odyssey has a pretty good size backseat so I was hoping this wouldn't be an issue. I don't think DH will be comfy driving the car with this seat installed. The recline for FFing really does recline the seat quite a bit. I can see how it would be nice for long trips if the child is sleeping. I haven't convinced DS1 to sit in the seat in the car yet so I don't know how much the headrest really pushes his head forward. He didn't have an issue with it in the house during the brief time he was in the seat.

Harness space left on the 2nd to top slot... he is about even with the 2nd to top slot
c086dbcb.jpg

Harness space left on the top slot... plenty of space left
138ff6d7.jpg

Views of headrest on top slot... should be one slot lower
c13ef4de.jpg

e1b043a7.jpg

For reference... here is how my BLVD70 looks
30335d22.jpg

Most reclined RFing.. can you see how much further up my seat is?
6c0b9e95.jpg

Seat more upright RFing... not much more space
4dd700ef.jpg

Here is a pics showing how close it is to the Radian in the center. I had to moved the outboard vehicle seat to the most outward position which I don't have to do with the BLVD. This give 2 inches more spaces.
32cf6012.jpg

Three across RFing with Frontier 80 Radian and SS
27b85ebf.jpg

Most reclined FFing
6ef1667c.jpg

Most upright FFing
2b5053e8.jpg

ADS

hobblyone

Thanks for trying it out and the pics. I hoped this would be the seat for our 2010 Odyssey, esp. since we only have one car seat in the car. I tried to fit it two different trips in the second row w/o moving up either seat. I couldn't make it work w/o significantly moving up the seat which isn't an option for us. I have handles on the back of the front row so it made it even worse. But you don't have those from the picture. I thought maybe it was my inexperience w/ car seats in this century. Nice to know it wasn't just me. Thanks.

tl01

Thanks for trying it out and the pics. I hoped this would be the seat for our 2010 Odyssey, esp. since we only have one car seat in the car. I tried to fit it two different trips in the second row w/o moving up either seat. I couldn't make it work w/o significantly moving up the seat which isn't an option for us. I have handles on the back of the front row so it made it even worse. But you don't have those from the picture. I thought maybe it was my inexperience w/ car seats in this century. Nice to know it wasn't just me. Thanks.

I was looking at my friend's 2010 and was thinking the handles must make some installs more tricky. FWIW... I have pretty long legs and so does DH so we use more space than the average person... but I'd still have to move the seat up considerably with the SS. I'm debating if I should keep it or not. I guess I could put in on the passenger side once I am using it RFing. The passenger front seat is obviously not used as much. I'll be playing around with it this weekend to see what I think.

Could you take out your center seat and move the captain chair to the center and then install the seat in the middle? You might be able to fit it that way.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I'm curious to see the belt fit in booster mode. Your DS is at the age when a lot of people around here would be boostering their kiddos.

tl01

CrunchyMaineMama said:
I'm curious to see the belt fit in booster mode. Your DS is at the age when a lot of people around here would be boostering their kiddos.

I'll take pics of that... Perhaps tomorrow.

Kat_Momof3

I'd also like to see belt fit...

man, this seat is a beast... but I see a lot of positives about it that balance the negatives.

tl01

Kat_Momof3 said:
I'd also like to see belt fit...

man, this seat is a beast... but I see a lot of positives about it that balance the negatives.

It is a cool seat but it is huge. I want to keep it but need to make sure it works for us.

Last edited:

MissAllyLou

Did you have trouble getting it to lock in, when putting the seat FFing? I had to get it arranged just right to get it to lock in.

tl01

Did you have trouble getting it to lock in, when putting the seat FFing? I had to get it arranged just right to get it to lock in.

Honestly, I found it to be challenging both ways. It was just so cumbersome and it is hard to figure out if you have it in correctly. I think part of my issue is that I have a seat on the other side of it so I really couldn't lower it down the way I wanted to b/c the Radian was in my way. Does that make sense?

sherimoneill

tl01 said:
Honestly, I found it to be challenging both ways. It was just so cumbersome and it is hard to figure out if you have it in correctly. I think part of my issue is that I have a seat on the other side of it so I really couldn't lower it down the way I wanted to b/c the Radian was in my way. Does that make sense?

I think that may have been it because I installed one last night and was amazed at how smoothly it went. I even took it out and did it again to make sure i had everything correct.

MissAllyLou

Yes, it does. I felt like the problem with mine was how upright I had my vehicle seat. When I reclined the vehicle seat, it slid in pretty easily.

tl01

MissAllyLou said:
Yes, it does. I felt like the problem with mine was how upright I had my vehicle seat. When I reclined the vehicle seat, it slid in pretty easily.

It's weird... Today it was way easier to get in. It slid in much more quickly. I guess I just needed more practice... Plus today I worked in my driveway instead of the garage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC