Car seat adjustment

dneul

Background: I participate in Girl Scouts with my oldest DD. Mom to one of the girl scouts just had a new baby back in December. Baby is 6 weeks old now and right around 10 pounds and in a Evenflo something...

Mom walks into room after we have dismissed.

Girls and other moms crowd around mom and baby. Everyone is baby struck. After a few minutes when some have left I ask to see baby and mom hands me the baby in the car seat. I unbuckle baby out and hand her back to mom. Mom is confused when I start messing with car seat.

Mom: Are you looking for something?
Me: No... I am fixing your seat.
Mom: Is it broken?
Me: No, just needs to be adjusted for her size.
Mom: I know the straps were too high (was on the highest slot setting) but I just put some blankets around to build bulk.
Me: Do you mind if I adjust it to her size?
Mom: Not at all... I just thought you wanted to hold her.
Me: No, I find car seats just more interesting....

I adjusted the harness height, untwisted the straps, threaded the harness back through the crotch buckle the right way, and locked the straps back. I showed mom how to use the front harness adjuster and how to pull on the back of the seat where the harness lies to get a more snug fit.
It was a good night- mom was happy and learned about the seat and baby was safer then before...

ADS

StPaulMom

That was very thoughtful of you to help her out and keep her baby safe! However, I think that in the future if you encounter a situation like this that you dont just jump in and start fixing with out asking the parent's permission first. Even though you were right and she was open to your advice, she could have easily (and understandably) been upset and offended to have someone start randomly changing things and then be told that you're more interested in the car seat than the baby. That's not very polite. Even the best intentions can be brushed aside if someone feels insulted or disrespected. :twocents:

christineka

That was very thoughtful of you to help her out and keep her baby safe! However, I think that in the future if you encounter a situation like this that you dont just jump in and start fixing with out asking the parent's permission first. Even though you were right and she was open to your advice, she could have easily (and understandably) been upset and offended to have someone start randomly changing things and then be told that you're more interested in the car seat than the baby. That's not very polite. Even the best intentions can be brushed aside if someone feels insulted or disrespected. :twocents:

:yeahthat:

Just the other night I had a situation come up. I already had helped the mom with the seats before, so I just asked her if I could fix the seat. She was more than happy to have me fix the seat. I also gazed at the cute baby. I'm into car seats, but there's nothing special about evenflo infant seats.

dneul

I should have made mention that I have known mom going on 1.5 years and have helped her numerous times with seats before. She has new mommy brain going on right now (this is her 3rd). It was not like she was a stranger... Though I have been known for following home people in my car when I see their infant seat installed side facing in the back seat of a sedan.

dneul

Just the other night I had a situation come up. I already had helped the mom with the seats before, so I just asked her if I could fix the seat. She was more than happy to have me fix the seat. I also gazed at the cute baby. I'm into car seats, but there's nothing special about evenflo infant seats.

There is nothing special about evenflo but if I see that the seat is VERY wrong (harness at the top slots for a 6 pound baby) I make that seat special for right now. (Of course with mom's permission.

Chris

I am impressed that you had the guts to do something. Every other week I watch a little girl in my daughters preschool class get buckled into a seat with straps soo loose, filthy, and hopelessly twisted and I pray that they don't have an accident. I don't even think the seat could (or should in it's condition) be fixed, but other than somehow locating another for them and figuring out how to offer it without offense (don't know them well), I can only pray.

dneul

I am usually laid back and easy going but some things just get me upset/ anxious and car safety is one of them. I have followed complete strangers home before while driving along side/behind them and spotting errors. (Infant seat with handle up and clipped to the base with the car seatbelt wrapped around the base, handle, and seat sitting sideways with the kid (around 10 months) looking out the window) It is kind of awkward but most of the time people are thankful and appreciative that I took the time to care about their child.

ElaynesMom

I am usually laid back and easy going but some things just get me upset/ anxious and car safety is one of them. I have followed complete strangers home before while driving along side/behind them and spotting errors. (Infant seat with handle up and clipped to the base with the car seatbelt wrapped around the base, handle, and seat sitting sideways with the kid (around 10 months) looking out the window) It is kind of awkward but most of the time people are thankful and appreciative that I took the time to care about their child.

You don't actually follow people home and then try to talk to them about their seat misuse, right? I think that's kind of crossing some boundaries.

Last edited:

zactayaus

Are you aware that some infant seats allow you to drive with the handle up?

You don't actually follow people home and then try and talk to them about their seat misuse, right? I think that's kinda of crossing some boundaries.

Any way good job fixing the seat.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Good thing you didn't follow me because I'd have called the police on you! I drove around with my son's infant seat handle up because it was allowed by the manufacturer. And once you told me how "wrong" I was....how would you have felt once I proved I was right and told you that I had been a CPST for over a yr before my 2nd was born?

Susan

Kobain's Mommy

The Shuttle 33's only allowable position is "up" in the car.

When I called Graco once they said their preferred position on SS1/sr32/sr35 is up! You can have it back if you'd like though.

If I see gross misuse of seat in a parking lot I may leave a USAA booklet about car seat safety but leave it at that. I would NEVER follow anyone home, nor take the liberty to "fix" a car seat without asking even for my best friend's children. It doesn't matter if you know someone for 30 seconds or 30 years, it's just outright rude to do. That's just my :twocents:.

WhatAboutPuppy

You did a wonderful thing for that mama!! I'm sorry that people have jumped all over you for not including a paragraph first on your relationship with her. Everyone handles situations differently. And you chose to handle this one this way because it felt comfortable you... And it was. I can't say I'd have handled it any different because i wasn't there.
You may have very well saved that baby's life at some point and the mama was grateful that you spoke up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC