A plea, about quoting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplysomething

I have a request of my fellow posters...regarding quoting posts...and a certain smiley.

I was wondering, if perhaps you guys could stop quoting an entire post and then have the only reply be the "yeah that" smiley?

I know, I am a big whiner when it comes to the board...but it is a little irritating to read a post, and scroll to the next post..only to have the same thing repeated. I mean, I just read it...

I mean, wouldn't it be just as effective to post a sentence or two, or a link to the post, with the yeah that smiley? I don't MIND the actual smiley, it's the excessive quoting. lol

Anyway, it's just a request.... I understand WHY people do it, and I understand why folks might not want to stop.

Please? lol

(and I'm waiting for the first smart alec to do it to me)

Everyone take care, and don't make fun of me behind my back. ;)

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
no im sorry, i dont think i could do that for you. but thanks for asking :thumbsup: .

(for everyone who thought this was serious...it wasnt..she knew that)

Last edited by a moderator:

MySillyKids

:yeahthat:

:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

:confused:

(You have included 11 images in your message. You are limited to using 10 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again. ) WAAA

scatterbunny

We used to be limited to something like 3 or 5 images per post, so don't feel bad about the 11 image limit! I can see why some "oldies" on the board go into smilie overload, now that we are allowed SO MANY per post.

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
We used to be limited to something like 3 or 5 images per post, so don't feel bad about the 11 image limit! I can see why some "oldies" on the board go into smilie overload, now that we are allowed SO MANY per post.
Yep, same here. We were limited to such a small amount of images. It's fun to go overboard :2thumbsup: :question: (me deciding which one to use next) :doh: :whistle:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry (blush)...I only do it when I see something *really* well written and *really* want to agree with all of it... sort of my egotistical stamp of approval, lol.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I usally only will if i want to reply to a certain post that was up a couple posts... or like julie said too. I really try to limit it mostly b/c all i use is the quick reply and that too is why i don't use very many smiles either! :)

beeman

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

:confused:

(You have included 11 images in your message. You are limited to using 10 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again. ) WAAA

sorry, couldn't resist.

as for the limit of images, do smilies actually count as an image for a post?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am blown away that people make requests like this...seriously. Someone doesn't like smileys so they ask people not to use them and now someone doesn't like the "yeah that" under a quote. If you don't like it that is your problem and I can not believe you think you can ask a whole message board to appease you by not using something just because it bugs you.:eek: :mad: :eek: :thumbsdown:

Simplysomething

Of course it's MY problem but it's still annoying, and I don't doubt that I'm the only one annoyed by the excessive quoting. I figured I'd ask. You don't have to do it.

Last edited:

TheRealMacGyver

SimplySomething, I have noticed what you are talking about and wondered the same thing. Not to throw you under the bus here, but the one thing I enjoy about this board is that it is relatively "nice" even to people like me that probably ask questions that have already been asked (and answered). I have been on some other boards where they will chastise you quite severely if you step one toe outside the realm of forum etiquette. Not to say I don't agree with you, I just don't really find it that annoying.

(I would greatly appreciate it if you would quote above and add a little smiley that says "yeah that"):D --JUST JOKING!:cool:

ETA: Forgot to ask about the removal of your snottiest comment. OOH, I want to hear it, let's turn it up a notch-BAMM

Last edited:

scatterbunny

I can see both sides. I can see why some folks are annoyed by what they consider excessive smilies, but I can also see why some folks use smilies so much. Smilies really help express the feelings you are trying to convey, your tone. Sometimes things can be misconstrued, with only words to read. But with a smily thrown in, it can lighten the tone of a serious-sounding post.

I personally like the "Yeah, That" smily. There are times when someone may have already answered a question, and it's a good, correct answer, but I look at it from the perspective of the original poster, the one asking the question...and especially if it's a newbie, or Unregistered, I think it's important for them to read more than one opinion/answer. It's important for them to know that many people agree/concur with the previous poster's response. Sometimes it's pointless to re-type what someone else already said, so the "Yeah, That" smily is perfect. You can let it be known that the previous poster's answer was correct, something you agree with, and either elaborate or not. The original poster will then know that multiple people agree on the answer, and will probably feel a little more satisfied/assured that they are getting correct information.

Just my two cents!

TXDani

Senior Community Member

Exactly why I like this blinkie/smilie...and this is the first time I have ever used it. I think new members who are asking questions need more then one answer but often times a thread has 11 answers all of which say the exact same thing. Using this blinkie show the op that the answer one person gave them is correct and 9 other CPST agree with them.

broken4u05

I have never used it just because i like the quick reply but i think it is helpful. And when i see the yeah that thing i read the first line in the other one to see what they are agreeing with than go on and not read the rest because i have already read it. No one said you have to read it all again.

Simplysomething

Okay, FOR THE RECORD. It wasn't the "YEAH THAT" smiley that bugs, it's the quoting of the ENTIRE post.. with just that little smiley as the reply that bothers me. I don't see why people can't refer to the post or something...

Again, it's NOT the smiley that bothers me. It's the quoting of the entire post with nothing new added that bothers me.

Which is what I said in my original post.

I mean, wouldn't it be just as effective to post a sentence or two, or a link to the post, with the yeah that smiley? I don't MIND the actual smiley, it's the excessive quoting.

I didn't tell anyone NOT to use the danged smiley, did I? No. I didn't. I asked if you could NOT just post the ENTIRE post...when using it. Because I agree it has a very useful purpose. And it was just a request. (Which I did have the GALL to ask.)

Anyway, like I told someone else, I'll be back when I'm done being annoyed. Take care, everyone.

I'll see you all next week or so. Right now. I'm just aggravated.

scatterbunny

I'm sorry this bothers you so much! :(

I think it would be confusing to just use the "Yeah, That" smily and not quote the post you are referring to. :confused:

TheRealMacGyver

Awe man we's just pickin on ya:D Hey I always say, "if I didn't like you, I wouldn't pick on you". So there! Now put your "smilie" face on (pun attended) and shake it off. Even though everyone enjoyed ribbing ya a little, I'll bet you'll start seeing less of those redundant copy and pastes here from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC