Family booted from plane in dispute over infant seat

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
I haven't heard of an airplane seat that is too narrow for an infant seat. :confused: Apparently this mom was unlucky enough to have it happen twice. I wonder if she thought of using it without the base.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think they mean back-to-front room, not width. (My hips are wider than a Snugride.)

There was an article a few weeks back about a very tall man who was flying Frontier (or Spirit?) whose legs were too long for him to fit properly in the seat. Whatever airline that is supposedly has the closest-together rows in the industry. After reading that I wondered if it would be possible to install a seat on that plane.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, most likely front to back. That the rows aren't wide enough apart to accomodate the seat. Plus, you can't use an infant base on a plane because the buckle would be in the middle, correct?

jjordan

Isn't it the law that they need to re-seat the infant if there is a seat on the plane that will accomodate the child seat (even if it means re-seating other passengers as well)? I think I remember seeing that.

ETA: Yup, here's a link to the rules

Quote from that link:

If an approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, it is the responsibility of the aircraft operator to accommodate the CRS in another seat.

StPaulMom

Isn't it the law that they need to re-seat the infant if there is a seat on the plane that will accomodate the child seat (even if it means re-seating other passengers as well)? I think I remember seeing that.

ETA: Yup, here's a link to the rules

Quote from that link:
:thumbsup:
And even though it seems silly, this and all the other examples of ill informed (cough:moronic:cough) flight attendants is a great reason to carry a printed copy of the FAA regulations with you when you fly with a child in a child restraint. Even if they disagree with what you show them, you can calmly ask them to show you something that says otherwise.

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
:doh: I didn't think about front to back room (or the issues with the seatbelt and base). I've only flown twice before and only one time with kids.

leighi123

I flew on a ton of united flights with my snugride and never had an issue installing it... it fit front to back for sure.... (I've even gotten my radian rearfacing on some planes)

mommyfrog

I read that article and what stood out to me was the fact that the title says they kicked her off the flight when really they just put her and her family on a later flight that the car seat worked on. Annoying, but.....

DahliaRW

I've taken a SR and a SS1 on United (and other airlines) with no issues. I wonder what the problem truly was. I've never encountered a plane I couldn't get a rfing seat in (and I usually travel with the scenera, which is bigger than the infant seat usually).

J-max

CPST Instructor
I've taken a SR and a SS1 on United (and other airlines) with no issues. I wonder what the problem truly was. I've never encountered a plane I couldn't get a rfing seat in (and I usually travel with the scenera, which is bigger than the infant seat usually).

I agree We have flown lots and I have used a BLVD, as well as a RB and SR and rearfaced them just fine.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It depends entirely on the configuration of the individual plane.

Even two identical body styles with the same carrier can have different configurations inside. Airlines are always changing things around, trying to squeeze in more people, or trying to tout "more legroom" (or both).

LittlePeanut

These are the details for all the various configurations of United's 777 fleet (1st measurement is pitch and the 2nd is width):

United Airlines Boeing 777
Economy Class: 31.0" 18.0"

Seat pitch is defined as:
Seat Pitch is the distance from any point on one seat to the exact same point on the seat in front or behind it. While it is not the exact equivalent of "legroom", it does give a very good approximation of how much seat room you should expect. Bottom line: the more seat pitch the better.

So anyone know the length of an SR22? I just cannot imagine it NOT fitting on a Boeing 777. I see it has a width of 17.25" (with or without the base) so assuming the armrests were up, it should certainly fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC