my volvo bubble just burst...

Jenny

I had planned to keep my 08 xc90 when my lease was up in a couple months but my volvo has been attacked by mice -- in the cabin:crying:

Apparently, it is an issue with this vehicle (thanks to google search).
So I am getting rid of the car, who knows what wires etc they are eating. And we live in a rural area so I cant control field mice in the winter months.

I am most sad about the seat belt pretensiors in the kids seats; it doesn't seem like anyother manufacturer uses them.

So, advice on what car to get:

Some must haves : optional third row seats, four wheel drive, steel frame, reinforced steel bars in second row doors for side impact protection, side curtain airbags (for 2nd row), ability to switch into manual transmission but clutchless (I like to downshift on hills, curves and in the snow instead of using brakes), excellent safety ratings, prefer horizontally mounted engine block.

Here is my short list:
Mercedes M Class
Volkswagon Tourag
Ford Flex
Ford Explorer 2011
Subaru Tribeca
Jeep Grand Cherokee (is there a optional third row?)

Anyone have any experience with these cars -- would they recommend one over the other -- or is there something else you would recommend

any and all comments are very much appreciated
(oh, it is mostly me and my 5.5 DS and 6.5 DD in the car -- I'd like the third row for when they each have a playdate so I can transport 2 additional kids -- on the flipside if there is a car that offers a switch to manually disengage passenger front airbag I wouldnt need the third row).
Thanks, Jenny

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the mice! We killed a tarantula within a couple of weeks of moving into my house 11 yrs ago and I'm not sure if I'd rather have that or a mouse. I'm thinking mouse actually!

OK, Lexus uses pretensioners in all seating positions and I believe Mercedes does too, but I can't remember on that one. I just bought a new SUV and it was the first feature I looked for, but ultimately ended up not getting.

I don't speak "horizontally mounted engine block," lol. Are you a mechanic or is your name not really Jenny ;)? I have to say that the Acura MDX actually meets all of your requirements (horizontally mounted engine block?)--have you considered it? It's not on your list. The shift paddles are right on the steering wheel, it has a generous 3rd row for an SUV of its size, a very tight turning circle, 4-WD, it's quiet, and has a large 2nd row.

I looked briefly at the M-class Mercedes, but it was too big for my preferences (I was coming from a Sienna and didn't want something as big as the Sienna) and the reliability was a concern for me (we have a friend whose MB is frequently in the shop). I also couldn't get the local snobs who sell them to give me the time of day at the auto show when I was looking at them, so that colored my opinion of them big time as a customer.

I don't know anything about the other vehicles on your list. Dh won't let me touch a Subaru with a 10' pole (except maybe to scratch one, lol--his family owned a lemon) and we don't buy American vehicles.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Mice is a problem with Volvo? I assume there are gaps somewhere that allows them access, not that they come from the factory with mice :D

I'd add the BMW X5 to that list because I love mine, and we plan on upgrading to an '08 or newer diesel X5 with a 3rd row this year. Pretensioners all around :love: and of course it also has sport shift mode (auto trans with clutchless manual option).

ETA: it also has X-Drive which is just AWD, and it works great--we also have an Explorer with 4WD and it doesn't hold a candle to my AWD.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Apparently blown up transmissions and differentials is also a problem with the XC90... Sniff, sniff.

-Nicole.

gigi

I love my Tribeca. It might feel slightly more rugged than the volvo in terms of interior touches, but only slightly. I drive my last subaru for 14 years and just short of 200,000 miles with very little work needed other than regular maintenance (like cv joints, brakes, I changed the axles, stuff like that mostly). Plus Subarus handle snow and ice very very well.

If you had 3 kids in car seats I'd say look somewhere else bc the backseat is more narrow than a pilot or mdx, but with two older kids and occasional friends you'd have plenty of room.

Melanie

I really really like my Flex. I know the one with the higher performance motor has paddle shifters and no clutch. It's called echo boost. Somehow it makes the performance of a V8 with the gas mileage of a V6. I've heard they have tons of power. I have the regular V6 and it's very peppy, especially for a vehicle that size. I wonder if that's available on the new Explorer? AWD is an option if you need that. It does really well in the hills.

Ford Sync is great. It basically makes the car into a bluetooth for your cell phone. It's all done by voice commands and can give you driving directions, call 911 if an accident is detected and all kinds of stuff. There's no monthly fee.

It has lots of cargo room. It has a well behind the third row like a minivan. The third row is big enough for adults. DH is 6'3". He easily fits in the second row and fits ok in the third row (knees are just touching 2nd row). The second row can be bench or bucket seats that flip at the touch of a button.

I don't know if they're still doing it or not, but when we bought ours I requested a catalog from Ford's online site. It came with a $750 coupon. I was able to use it on top of the other rebates.

Somewhere I read that it's in the top 3% of safest 2010 cars (this was in 2010).

luckyclov

So mice in Volvos is standard or an option?;)

We looked at the Ford Flex for DH. *I* really, really liked it...and I'm a hardcore minivan lover, so it's really hard for me to admit to liking a vehicle if it doesn't have dual power sliding doors. DH, however, opted for a ginormous truck instead because it wasn't manly enough.:thumbsdown:

BudgieStew

I posted before but then C.S.org went down and it lost my post.

Another vote for Flex...I didn't keep on the new models but I love the Flex more then certain family members.:eek:

Jenny

Thanks for all these responses --
to answer some of your question
I am not a mechanic -- I don't even put air in my own tires. As for the 'horizontally mounted engine" - Volvo does this to lessen the chances of the engine ending in your lap in a severe frontal impact.

THe mice put their food stores in the glove compartment -- the positive side is that they cleaned every last cheerio, animal cracker and goldfish the kids dropped on the floor into one central spot:D
apparently the vents for air circulation in the cabin allow them entry and the heating/ac system has large openings under the seats. How much more would adding mesh screens on these openings cost volvo??

The mice seemed to like the third row folded down seat as a sleeping place.

I hadnt considered the MDX originally b/c I had a pilot before and thought it was just a more lux edition -- (And the pilot doesnt get good marks for roof stregnth) -- it seems that it has a different frame though?
I will take a look at the mdx, my b-i-l has always raved about his. Murphydog did you end up getting the MDX?

Igot brochures on the flex and explorer today -- for the flex oweners -- you like the My Ford/Ford Touch -- any issues with it crashing (since it seems to run on microsoft)??

Thanks everyone for input! Jenny

jeno

Senior Community Member
I hadnt considered the MDX originally b/c I had a pilot before and thought it was just a more lux edition -- (And the pilot doesnt get good marks for roof stregnth) -- it seems that it has a different frame though?
I will take a look at the mdx, my b-i-l has always raved about his. Murphydog did you end up getting the MDX?

You should check it out for sure. I've had my 2007 for nearly 4 years and I still love it. And this is coming from a previous BMW and MB owner. We're expecting baby #3 and there is plenty of room to do a 3 across. 3rd row is plenty big for the occasional use and cargo space is probably one of the biggest in its class. Have fun shopping. It took me nearly 2 years to decide on the MDX when we finally purchased. :love:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I did get the MDX and I love it so far. I think the previous model was more similar to the Pilot, but I sat in both at an auto show and from a user POV, there are big differences. TBH, I didn't pursue structural differences between the Pilot and the MDX. I dislike the Pilot.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just came from the DC car show. Saw no mice at Volvo. Better yet, I've seen no mice in MY XC90.

Heather, DH loved his MDX, but decided to trade it in for the X5 diesel.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The mice is also an issue with the Toyota Sequoia too. My neighbor just had this happen to their vehicle right before X-Mas. Their mechanic stated it was very common in foreign vehicles as it has something to do with how the wire coating is made. It's sweet tasting to them.

I was shocked because I don't live in a rural area but still a lot of construction in the area (not in our direct neighborhood). Plus their vehicle is garage kept where mine currently is not. Never experienced it and to be honest glad I own a GM that is mouse free.

Jenny

Emily-- I am glad you have no mice and prayers it stays that way!
Jenny -- really, toyota seq. too? Did the mice actually get inside the cabin of the vehicle or only in the cabin air filter?

We park a F250 and a MB E-class next to the volvo -- neither seem to have any mice living inside them,

hmmm....maybe we should all bait our cars with mice traps and see what we catch ---this could be a whole new area of car safety to explore

on a side note, I was looking at subaru's website -- and the picture accompanying child safety showed a FF small child in a 5-pt wearing a snow suit and the chest clip close to her waist (SIGH) -- c'mon guys at least get it right on the sales pitch:thumbsdown:
Jenny

Last edited:

tl01

I looked briefly at the M-class Mercedes, but it was too big for my preferences (I was coming from a Sienna and didn't want something as big as the Sienna) and the reliability was a concern for me (we have a friend whose MB is frequently in the shop). I also couldn't get the local snobs who sell them to give me the time of day at the auto show when I was looking at them, so that colored my opinion of them big time as a customer.

For 2010, Mercedes was actually number 3 for initial quality. We have owned two of the current ML's... currently have one and haven't had any problems with them. We also have had an R-Class and a GL- and had no problems there either. I wouldn't be worried from MB anymore.

We love our MB. FWIW, we haven't had any problems with any animals in the car so far. DH drives our ML and prefers to park it outside.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Emily-- I am glad you have no mice and prayers it stays that way!
Jenny -- really, toyota seq. too? Did the mice actually get inside the cabin of the vehicle or only in the cabin air filter?

We park a F250 and a MB E-class next to the volvo -- neither seem to have any mice living inside them,

hmmm....maybe we should all bait our cars with mice traps and see what we catch ---this could be a whole new area of car safety to explore

on a side note, I was looking at subaru's website -- and the picture accompanying child safety showed a FF small child in a 5-pt wearing a snow suit and the chest clip close to her waist (SIGH) -- c'mon guys at least get it right on the sales pitch:thumbsdown:
Jenny

It got into the cabin and ate the a good amount of the wiring. The vehicle was garage parked for appx 24h-36hrs. So it happened quickly. She went out to the vehicle to leave and it wouldn't start. Her dh started looking around and noticed a lot of cut/chewed up wires. It had to be towed to the mechanic. The mouse/mice we think more then one due to the amount of damage cost them $3500 (well them directly $500 insurance ded.).

What makes it worse it she only had the vehicle a month. OUCH!

I also heard once mice nest someplace it's hard to get ride of them. The smell the leave behind attracts other mice even if you kill the initial pest.

Dillipop

I was shocked because I don't live in a rural area but still a lot of construction in the area (not in our direct neighborhood). Plus their vehicle is garage kept where mine currently is not. Never experienced it and to be honest glad I own a GM that is mouse free.

My GM had mice in the cabin this fall. I have a Buick. I also parked in our garage.

Any car can get mice. Those suckers can get in through the tiniest spaces.

For the OP, I don't have any advice on cars, but wanted to say good luck to you in your search.

babyherder

My volvo bubble burst the day I discovered my car is incompatible with the Graco TB. :( I still appreciate the bubble like qualities it provides me but I still drool over other people's TBs

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC