We went to cloth! SOOO excited!!

MommyofBoogieBear

this is officially day two of CD!!!! so far so good! I have two in diapers (DS at 3 1/2 has NO interest in potty training yet...) and so we'll see how this goes! I am using prefolds..with regular covers and Thirsties. and Pocket diapers Bum Genius...with Cotton Babies inserts. We really like them so far. I still need to try a prefold...I finally got them all washed so they are now ready to use.

Detergent question. I am using what seems to be the Cosco brand Free and Clear. however, i noticed it does have brighteners in it. :( do you think this will cause problems with absorbtion? no dyes..and no perfumes. AND, i noticed that they still kinda smell like urine after the first use. any hints?:confused:

we are happy to be saving money....once i start hanging them up instead of using the drier:whistle:

thanks for all the great CD posts here...i have learned a lot...:thumbsup:

ADS

arly1983

Oh, wow, you are starting out just like we did.

With prefolds/covers and BumGeniuses! Two months later and we are still going strong...

This was a useful site for us in using detergents and what the different smells mean

MommyofBoogieBear

thanks! i've been reading those sites all this time....so much to learn! lots of cool chemistry too. what do you wash yours in? i have a friend that uses 1/4 cup vinegar...and 1/4 soda. but i read somewhere that they would basically neutralize each other (again...where is Southpawboston when you need him! :)

LeeLi

Not Southpaw but I do have a science degree :) And yes, the vinegar and baking soda neutralize each other if you ad them at the same time since one is acidic and one is basic. When they react they become water, carbon dioxide, and sodium acetate all of which are not helpful for getting the diaper clean (well the water is of course but there's plenty of that already...). But I have heard that vinegar works well and if you're worried about any acid from the vinegar staying in the diaper you can use baking soda after you've given the vinegar a chance to work. The acid from the vinegar is dilute and very safe already but adding baking soda after couldn't hurt and might help with the odors as well.
Hope that helps!
Oh and congrats on going to CDs. We use prefolds and bummis super whisper wraps at my nanny job and I love them. I'm excited for summer because it means the baby can wear just a t-shirt and super cute cover.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Congrats! To help with urine, we added baking soda to the wash and vinegar to the rinse... :thumbsup: (well, not every time - but periodically). Once you hang them out for the first time in that bright sunshine, you'll be amazed at how poop stains disappear before your very eyes - literally. Pretty cool. :cool:

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Congrats! The only thing I have to add is some say only use bs/vinegar in softer water. I have very hard water and can't use vinegar very often. The big thing for me is not too much detergent and a double rinse. I don't worry too much about brightners. It's enzymes I stay away from.

arly1983

This is what works for us after MUCH trial and error...

cold wash/rinse to rinse out poo (a hot wash first will set in stains)

HOT wash/rinse with one scoop of charlie's soap

Then according to what kind of washer you have, you keep HOT rinsing or quick wash cycling untill there are no bubbles left (for us it is two hot quick washs)

It is important to prevent detergent build up or your diapers will start repelling instead of absorbing and will leak like crazy...

If you do need to strip, the dishwasher is a great place as you can pop the door open to check for bubbles. You just stick your diapers on the two racks, putting an diapers with plastic parts on the top rack and turn it on. You would be amazed at the bubble you get if you have a build up. I had to wash my dipes 5 times in the dishwasher to get them striped...

This was the bubble coming out when I had a build up...
Picture192.jpg

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
LOL the dishwasher pic is priceless!!!! Only dedicated CDers wash in their dishwasher!!!! I remember actually getting out a ginormous pot and boiling my hemparoos because the build up was horrible. What was worse was the smell that they were emiting when I was boiling them

I really miss my CDing days :( Whooda thunk i'd miss changing diapers and doing laundry!

When I washed my dipes I used DeoComplete Smells awesome and didn't give me any build up once i switched.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
DeoComplete, never heard of it but I will try anything. The countless washes are killing us!

Try the one with Tea Tree Oil!!! Helps eliminate the build up and personally I think it smells yumalicious. I've been known to still use it and we've been out of diapers for uhmm... almost 2 years :eek:

musicmaj

I use regular, cheap sun detergent. It works great in our hard water. I occasionally add a tiny bit of bleach too. We have absolutely no stink whatsoever.

Cold prewash with tiny bleach, hot wash, extra rinse. I have tried to add all of those additives to the wash like baking soda, tea tree oil, vinegar. I only got more stink. I have been doing my current wash routine for over a year and it is still working great.

MommyofBoogieBear

LOL the dishwasher pic is priceless!!!! Only dedicated CDers wash in their dishwasher!!!! I remember actually getting out a ginormous pot and boiling my hemparoos because the build up was horrible. What was worse was the smell that they were emiting when I was boiling them

just thinking about the smell in the kitchen...that just made me laugh...literally out loud! :D

thanks for all the pointers. sunshine will be a good thing! i will have a clothes line soon. (we are in the dry season right now...soon to be rainy season..which gets tricky. oh...and I live in a cloud forest! ;) however, one downer here. my washmachine doesn't have hot water connections ....(live in central america...where that is a huge luxury) and I am the dishwasher. :( although, i would agree...that picture was absolutely priceless!!!!

loved the science part! and knowing exactly what it becomes!!! i think we have hard water too....

the smell is just taking me off guard...b/c it was the FIRST time using them! so i tried your suggestion and put it through a second rinse. there they sit right now...so we will see.

Oh...for a good laugh. I had to boil water....several pots....and carry them out to our laundry room (which is like in the states...going to your next door neighbor's house..) to prewash them in hot water! 3 washes was it for me! so i hope my prefolds will be absorbant enough! anyway....the things we take for granted in the states.....:rolleyes: i know if i had to wash them in hot water every time, i would have never gone to cloth! (we are working on getting a laundry room on to the house itself...but that will be a few months). just thought i would share! i was laughing at myself doing it...thinking...wow...i must be crazy! ;)

i'll go check the washer....time for my hike....:D

arly1983

OHH MY, you are in central America!!!

Many KODOS to you for cloth diapering!!

I don't think I could do it without lots of hot water and a washer and dryer right in my house..WOW

MommyofBoogieBear

nice to know...i can get Sun detergent down here.

yup...definately in Central America! :) Enjoy your hot water and dishwashers! It's all worth it though....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC