OT: "Guts & Glory" walks for IBD research

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You may know someone who suffers from IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), either Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis. The cause is unknown & there is no cure. The symptoms for this chronic illness can be extremely painful & embarrassing; depression is also common. I was misdiagnosed with mere Lactose Intollerance at 14 years old after about 4 years of ongoing severe symptoms -- I was finally diagnosed correctly another 4 years later when I became emmaciated within a short 1 week timeframe! The ER staff explained that I almost died.

Last edited:
ADS

JaRylan

Tiffany,
I hope you reach your fundraising goal! I tried to donate but I don't have a credit card to do it with. :(

supercrunch

Thanks for posting this.

It is a cause near and dear to my heart. I was diagnosed with UC at age 17 (and only 92 lbs) and fought it for 10 years before finally having my colon removed and a jpouch created last summer. Most people have no idea how many people suffer with these diseases...and how much it really affects your daily life. I couldn't go anywhere that I couldn't get to a restroom within 30 seconds. I couldn't take my kids to the park, or the store by myself. My kids knew nothing other than a mom that had to stay inside most of the time and couldn't do normal fun stuff. My heart goes out to you, and all others dealing with IBD.

curecolitis.jpg

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Supercrunch, that is the BEST advocacy awareness ribbon I have ever seen :thumbsup: Our story seems very similar, but somehow pregnancy at 21 totally changed my body back to a relatively "normal" state of minimal flareups -- I did start losing weight in my 3rd trimester (not OK for any pregnant woman to be losing weight at that stage, let alone more than 5 pounds in a week :eek:) but then after delivery I went into remission & have only required medications "as needed" rather than the over 2 dozen pills per day routine I was on before.... My sister has actually messed her pants in public more than once :( I'm sorry you needed surgeries, but I do hope it helped!

Most awesome walk name ever.
Just sayin'.
LOL, yeah I love it :D :p This is my 1st time joining in the walk & I wonder if a portapotty will be wheeled along with us :confused: :eek: :whistle:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Moise & I talked about it -- he was all for me trying it (because the other meds just don't feel good) & I can't remember now why I never did? Thanks for the reminder....

supercrunch

I did vsl#3 (which is insanely expensive), primadophilous reuteri, along with asacol, colazal, numerous rounds of prednisone (which left me with osteopenia at the young age of 27) and 6mp (which I had such a severe reaction to, that it we literally didn't know if I'd make it or not).

Surgery was a hard road, but I am happy to now be med free and living a normal life again.

I love the name of the walk too...even though my parents brought me a great gift basket in the hospital, which contained a t shirt that says "no guts...glory" :) (and my favorite one that says "they took my colon and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" LOL )

Tiffany,
I went into my one and only remission with my first pregnancy and stayed in until she was 4 months old. I never went into remission with my second pregnancy and went into PTL at 29 weeks. I was on strict complete bedrest for the rest and he stayed in there until 37 weeks. I could never get anywhere near remission on anything other than prednisone...which I was only on for maybe 2 months because they were afraid it would affect my bones (which apparently it can do even in such a short period of time :( )
That is great that you are doing so well. I have heard of people being in remission for years or even decades. Hopefully you will be one of those people!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC