Should I just destroy it?

Dragonflymama

Back in 2003 when we were expectingmy DD, we received a Graco LeisureSport travel set that included a jog stroller and a 3-point Snugride with base. We really wanted a 5-point harness, so we never even opened the box (it was purchased from an online retailer and we couldn't seem to get the info to return during those inital crazy post-partum days, soon enough the box was forgotten). We forgot about it in our garage (I know, how do you over look such a huge, unopened box?) The when we moved houses last August, we moved the box. We are now FINALLY cleaning out the back of the garage that has all the (mostly unwanted) boxes from the move that we should have sorted before moving them.

So, there is only one year of so on this car seat before it expires and it is a sub-optimal 3-point harnessed infant seat. But it is otherwise in brand new condition. I've checked and it was not included in the recalls from that period. It is not an ideal seat, but I am wondering if it is better than many of the old seats in use out there. Should I donate it to the local birth education center for use by a low-income mom or should I just destroy it??

I would hate to pass on a seat if it is not safe. But if it has some safe and useful life left in it for someone in need, then I'd donate it.

I just want to do the right thing.

So, WWYD??

ADS

skaterbabs

I would hesitate the donate it to someone you don't know with less than a year left in it. Do you know someone who needs a seat? A third option is to just let your dd use it for her dolls. :whistle:

Dragonflymama

Good point about giving it to someone I dont know. A few friends are expecting soon, I could give it to them with all information about proper fit for a 3-point harness and the expiration date.

Otehrwise, I think I will give it to DD for her dolls. Great idea!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Graco was sued because of a baby that slipped out of the 3 point harness. It was at about 65 mph, side impact. They were found not guily, but still paid something over a million to the parents. Graco took it off the market after that. I wish Evenflo would do the same with the 3 point disovery (yuck!).

mominabigtruck

I thought graco was still making 3pt seats? I know when I was at meijer last week I saw a really pretty animal print snugride and then I looked at it and it was a 3pt.

ThreeBeans

Mominabigtruck, did you check the DOM? I haven't seen a Graco 3 point in a long time.

OP, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving that to anyone to put an actual baby in. Could you give it to a tech for training purposes?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC