Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Can you Compare the Radian65 and the MA for me?

Ok, I know, DH just bought an Apex last weekend, but you know, the seat shopping never ends!!! I'm still hankering for a ... not sure ... so here's what I'm tossing between:

The Radian65 and the Britax Marathon

(I've also considered the FPSVD)

Any comparisons you'd like to offer? I have skinny, light-weight, sorta tall, sorta long torsoed kids.
    Kathleen
    Wife to Mr. Mike and Mom to:
    B - 16, C - 15, T - 15, A - 14, H - 12,
    L - 10, J - 8, A - 8, R - 20mo!!
    I am seat and cover shopping!! 😁

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Can you Compare the Radian65 and the MA for me?

Oh, it according to what you want this seat for!
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

Who is it for? Haylee Jo?
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

Carseat Crazy

Smile Re: Can you Compare the Radian65 and the MA for me?

Actually my sorta-plan was this: Get another seat for Lex that maybe she could RF in (she's only 30-31lbs, but too tall to RF in Scenera) and let Bradon use the Apex. He actually could be harnessed in it for a little while, he had about 1/2-3/4" of room to the top slot...then when he outgrows the Apex, give it back to Lex, and move Haylee to whatever I had bought Lex and the baby to the Scenera.

I obviously have thought about this way too much!!! I also thought about just getting a new seat for Haylee. Either way, it'd be for one of the girls. And most likely won't happen, but I can dream, can't I?
    Last edited by AutoShopMama; 04-28-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Listed Lex's weight wrong
    Kathleen

Well, I prefer the MA over the Radian because it's so much easier to install.
    The Radian is nice because it has a low profile so it's easier for them to climb into. But, the low profile can make installs a PITA!
    Also, the Radian takes up a lot more room when RF. With the MA you can make it more upright when RF. It does have a taller back than the MA (I think) so you could get more use out the RF for your tall skinny gal. If you can get a good install, the Radian is a nice seat-it's heavy (nothing flimsy about it) and has the nice LATCH connectors like the Britax. It looks more "grown-up" too.
    The FPSVD is the same as the MA, but doesn't have the built in lock-offs and can't be RF tethered. Oh, and it goes to 55lbs FF-not a big deal for most people since it's usually outgrown by height.
    ~Sonja~

Carseat Crazy

I seriously can't make up my mind...not that it matters b/c I can't buy one right now anyways...but...if they were all the same price I think I'd get the MA b/c I really want a Britax...everyone seems to really like them, but they're not and $$ is an issue to DH. The FPSVD was the one I had kind of settled on before DH bought the Apex, but since I got to dream again I was wondering if maybe I'd want a Radian instead, and since I was dreaming, of course the Britax came back into the pic!!!
    Kathleen

Admin - CPS Technician

I think that the RN gives a little bit more room for torso height because of the way it sits. I find the MA much easier to install and much easier to tighten the harness. DS complains about the straps in the Radian more than in the MA.

I also have the FPSVD and really like it too. If you're moving it around a lot, I think that the MA is slightly easier to install (easier to adjust the base, nicer LATCH connectors) and the covers are a little nicer. It's a good option though.
    Would you be using the seat RF? I like the MA the most for that. If it's FF, it's a little bit more of a toss up, IMO.
    You can't really go wrong with any of them, though (as long as you can get a decent install).

Carseat Crazy

I don't have LATCH and haven't been lacking so far. Of course I'm one of those nuts whose bum is hanging out the door of my van while I'm jumping up and down in the seat with my knee and tugging on the seat belt for that last click!!! I think I do like the fpsvd, I just heard a lot of good things about the radian, too and thought maybe that'd be better for us.
    Kathleen

Admin - CPS Technician

If you can try the Radian before buying, it's definitely a good option. I don't have LATCH in my car either. In the lap belt spot, I could not install the Radian. With a l/s belt, it was ok.
    It's installed with the belt in my mom's car right now (I got a better install than with the LATCH).
    My son has a little more growing room in the RN than the MA/FPSVD.

What kind of van do you have?
    Heck, since you're dreaming....I'd wait to see what the new Recaro is like. That's the one I'm excited about!
    ~Sonja~

Carseat Crazy

Van is a 99 olds. That I would like to trade in for one of those 07 suburbans with the fuel saving deal that allows them to get 27mpg on the highway!!! (But I don't have an extra $45k laying around!

And yeah, I will probably wait, unless DH gets tired of listening to me talk and lets me get a FPSVD!!!
    Kathleen

Oh...and don't forget all the cool cover choices for the MAs. Radians can't compare.
    (yeah, I love my MA)
    ~Sonja~

Carseat Crazy

What I really need (haha) is someone near me (again, haha, I live in the middle of nowhere, eastern oregon) to need to get rid of a fairly new MA for cheap. (again, haha). There, was that enough haha's for one post?
    Kathleen

Senior Community Member

The Radian definitely has higher harness slots than the MA. I had my daughter sit in one when she outgrew her MA and she still had a good inch or more before her shoulders were even with the top slots. The harness straps are set more closely together than on the MA, which she did not like. I don't think other kids are bothered by it, though.
    DD#1 (7 y, 5 mo, 54 in, 68 lbs ) Clek Olli
    DD#2 (4 y, 2 months, 43 in, 42 lbs) Britax Marathon