I have my first check tomorrow!!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's about time. It's not a SK event, it'd being put on by a car club, but whatever. Kids will leave safer than when they came in, and that's what's important. :)

I just so stupidly excited.

Wendy

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Cool!!!

I'm looking forward to going to some soon.....I mentioned to the lead instructor at oiur last day of class today that i am bilingual Spanish...she literally high-fived me and almost hugged me!! We have a huge Hispanic Immigrant local population, with abysmal carseat useage/understanding, and there are NO bilingual techs here at all!!! I know I'm gonna be right at the top of EVERYONE'S list to call for events in our area!!!

Lys

Senior Community Member
Way to go Wendy!
2 seat check events within a week!
btw- Wendy is coming to help me next Saturday at our local LLL Baby Fair.
Also, for anyone else who is a Tech near Fayetteville, we would love to have the extra help!

Dawn

That is wonderful!! I'm sorry I will miss it. I am going to the southern women's show. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Way to go Wendy!
2 seat check events within a week!
btw- Wendy is coming to help me next Saturday at our local LLL Baby Fair.
Also, for anyone else who is a Tech near Fayetteville, we would love to have the extra help!

I'm very excited. I've never actually been to Fayetteville before. :)

I even got a new shirt for the event, since my one current CPST shirt is HUGE on me. http://www.cafepress.com/buy/622435...d.62243565/pNo_62243565/id_0/opt_/pg_/c_/fpt_

Can't wait to wear it. hehe

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, that's why I needed someone to check mine off at Lifesavers -- I never have a Senior Checker here: they don't return phone calls, emails & I haven't been able to fit any of their events into my schedule since I'd have to drive 2 hours or more....

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!

Not so many cars, which was good. I was it, except for an instructor (YAY!) who was there for a couple of hours. EVERYONE was receptive. I think four people were told about RFing beyond 1 and 20 and they were all happy about it. In fact the first car had a 17 mo in a 3 in 1 FFing, and we turned him right back there. Though they'll likely be getting a new seat. They bought that one for their daughter when she outgrew her infant seat, and that was six years ago. So it's expired or close to it. They've got a third on the way, so a new seat will go a long way with them.

There were two other expired seats, another 3 - 1 OHS from 4/26/00 and a Century Accel that expired in December. I got to take home the Accel. :) :) :) Nathan says it'll hurt my car to run it over. :-( But that had been the plan. Any other fun ideas to destroy it? Maybe I can drop it from my attic window? LOL

The dad who had the Accel was really great. He didn't have his kids with him, he was working the other half of it (the car club was by independent mechanics, so they were checking oil, fluids, etc), but he had their ages and weights. A nine month old 22 pounder in a Snugride, a 7 year old 62 pounder in the seatbelt. and a three year old 44 pounder in the Accel. Guy was batting 1.000% the wrong way. LOL He suspected the nine month old was getting too big, afterall, her feet were hanging over. At 22 pounds, she's done with the Snugride (it was a new one, 8/27/06 DOM). So, she can get big brother's seat who has definitely outgrown the Accel. And biggest brother in the middle with just the seatbelt needs a booster. He didn't sound tall enough, plus the law here is 8 or 80 (and a trooper was standing behind the dad as I told him this, LOL). I pulled out the Accel to show him how to install it RFing for his daughter, and it expired in December. Poor guy. He's got FIVE cars to buy for, and so he needs probably close to 15 seats. The booster can go back and forth, probably. But other than that.... He said that probably 60% of parents have it all wrong. That was his guess. I told him 96%-98%. Look at him, for example. He had 0% right. He said he throught he was all right all the long.

One Marathon (in decently, but with the tether done Australian style. LOL), one Roundabout that was installed with about six inches of movement on the hump of a Honda coupe, a Chicco Keyfit in an Impala with PITA LATCH anchors, the 3 - 1 OHS, the 3 - 1 likely expired, the Eveflo lowback booster (for a six year old somewhere between 39-42 pounds, they're going to put the back back on, the seatbelt didn't fit right and the side impact protection got them), and I think that may have been it. It was slow up until the end when three cars were there right after the other. Everyone was patient, they took the time needed to do the seats properly, to learn, to ask really good questions. Even the kids were nice and calm. :) But a 100% fail rate. Ah well. With a 96%-98% misuse rate, I guess I need to see about 97 cars before I may see one that's right. :)

And the icing on the cake? An instructor was there and now I'm signed off on four out of my five seats. :) SWEET!

I can't wait for next weekend's check!!!

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC