Safety First Complete Air

flick37

I am debating getting this seat for DS. Can you share your experiences with this seat with me?

I want the higher RF limit (I would love the 45lbs of the RadianXT, but too much about that seat makes me nervous). DS is 15 months, 27-28 lbs and on the tall side (sorry, don't have measurements).

thanks!

ADS

Emi's Mommy

I've had one for almost a week now and I quite like it. I was able to get a great install with the seatbelt RFing behind the driver seat reclined but still have enough room to drive. And I'm 5'8 and always in heels.
I like how it has a nice tall shell for my long baby and a high weight limit. Emi always falls asleep in the car and uses the air pillows to rest her head against, very comfy. I originally had some trouble getting the harness snug, but after some practise and playing around I find it much easier.

I'm very happy we picked one up.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've been very happy with mine. Harness adjuster on it is smooth, shell is nice and tall, and the head wings are comfy for sleeping against even for a ff'ing child. It has a nice tall shell with top harness height being enough to get most kids to booster age, size, and maturity as well.

For a child who is your son's weight at his age the 40lb rf'ing limit will be plenty. :thumbsup:

flick37

Thanks for the replies! I just want to make sure that the Complete are is also called:

Air Protect™ Convertible Car Seat. I am pretty sure it is, but want to confirm.

Thanks!!

Kimberly

I was looking at this seat too, until I discovered it had a RFing height limit of 36". My daughter is older than your son, so he may be just fine. Just thought I would mention it since you said he was on the tall side :)

flick37

I was looking at this seat too, until I discovered it had a RFing height limit of 36". My daughter is older than your son, so he may be just fine. Just thought I would mention it since you said he was on the tall side :)

Would the 1" rule not apply to this seat for RF? If not, then I would have to reconsider the Radian.

Emi's Mommy

Would the 1" rule not apply to this seat for RF? If not, then I would have to reconsider the Radian.
From the manual:
"Do not use this child restraint rear facing if the top of your child's head is above the top of the child restraint's headrest"
So that makes me think the 1 inch rule applies.

mommycat

This seat does not use the 1" rule - instead it allows the top of the child's head to be even with the top of the headrest (not shell). HOWEVER, it also has a stated limit of 36" (it is 40" in the US). A child would have to be proportioned very strangely in order to be 36" or even 40" and have the top of the head even with the headrest, but nevertheless this is the rule that Safety 1st has placed in the manual. And while many of us felt comfortable as parents to use the 1" rule in favour of the "standard" 32" limits on most Candian seats a few years ago, not all of us are as sure about going beyond this one. And as a tech, I would advise people to follow their manual. (I won't discourage anyone from doing some research on parental decision wrt height limits, though.) So, some people are comfortable using the seat to 36", the US limit of 40", to the 1" rule, or to the top of the headrest, depending on a personal comfort level, but the official answer is 36".

Last edited:

Emi's Mommy

Thanks for explaining that better.

I went and looked and it seems that the top of the headrest pad at the highest harness height is above the top of the shell :confused: Is that where the strangely proportioned thing comes from? And how we as parents would be able to make the decision to use the 1" rule?

swtgi1982

Thanks for explaining that better.

I went and looked and it seems that the top of the headrest pad at the highest harness height is above the top of the shell :confused: Is that where the strangely proportioned thing comes from? And how we as parents would be able to make the decision to use the 1" rule?

I followed the one inch rule but used the actual shell for the one inch rule. I was not comfortable going past the hard shell one inch rule. DD still had plenty of room that way at 4 yr 11 mon when we turned her since she asked going by one inch from top of the shell.

Our US limit as previously stated is written 40 in but yeah she was 42 and long torso and still has room. She wore a 7/8 top in big girls and still fit in it RF

icnee

I almost dont think any one will really have to worrry to o much about the childs head going over the top of this seat it is very tall.

It is confusing in the manual for parents to know which to go by rather it be the 36" or us 40" or t the top of the shell, the best advise I can give is to learn as mush as you can so you ( you in general) can make an educated decision that you are comfortable and feel safe with.

Now as a om I was very confused as well so I called Dorel twice and they told me that even though my child was 42" at the time as long as she was under the weight limit and her head was not over the top ( they said it could be as far as the top of the head rest in it up most position) that it was ok for her to still use it RFing. Now she is 44" 41lbs and she still has shell not just the head rest above her head.

this eat is actually all 3 of my RFers favorite seat, but DD2 can only front face in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC