Car Seats from Rental Car Companies?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Just FYI, the Comfortsport only RF to 30 pounds so you have to FF for sure (if you go that route). Plus, I'd guess at 36" she's outgrown it FF too by height.

I'd try the rolling cart and put the 3yo on a leash so you don't lose her.

ADS

vonfirmath

I hate to sound insensitive but what about a doggie leash? You can clip it to the back of a belt look and your off... I have seen the kiddie leash styles but they cost so much more... You could get a cute looking leash at PetsMart for under $5.

You can get a similar kiddie leash at Wal-mart for about the same -- without the backpack, just a leash. This is what I used for my son at the airport even though he mostly rode in a car seat bungee corded to the stroller. I could not trust him to NOT run off while I was taking stuff apart so I also had the leash whenever he was not in the stroller.

Absolutely Necessary in the airport.

My in-laws used turned a scarf into a make-shift leash at the Museum of Air and Space in D.C. when we got there without our kiddie leash.

dneul

You can get a similar kiddie leash at Wal-mart for about the same -- without the backpack, just a leash. This is what I used for my son at the airport even though he mostly rode in a car seat bungee corded to the stroller. I could not trust him to NOT run off while I was taking stuff apart so I also had the leash whenever he was not in the stroller.

Absolutely Necessary in the airport.

My in-laws used turned a scarf into a make-shift leash at the Museum of Air and Space in D.C. when we got there without our kiddie leash.
I used a kiddie leash once at an airport when my dd1 was 1.5/2 (something like that) she got on the floor when I put it on her and she crawled and barked the entire way to the gate and then onto the plane. I was SO embarrassed but looking back at it now it makes a REALLY funny story AND dd1 is embarrassed when I tell it. So worth the 30 minutes of looks and giggles from others.

mom2kk

I used a kiddie leash once at an airport when my dd1 was 1.5/2 (something like that) she got on the floor when I put it on her and she crawled and barked the entire way to the gate and then onto the plane. I was SO embarrassed but looking back at it now it makes a REALLY funny story AND dd1 is embarrassed when I tell it. So worth the 30 minutes of looks and giggles from others.

That'd be hilarious! I could see mine doing that, too.

I've seen the backpackish monkey one at WalMart it's only like $10. Today she ran off from me at the Zoo, and got in big trouble, I can sooo see that happening at the airport.

My Scenera fits well bungied into my single MacLaren stroller so will take it and another undetermined seat on the roller suitcase.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What's the younger one ride in daily? Some infant seats might fit in an overhead compartment. If your seat doesn't and they don't have any open seats you will have to gate check the 2nd seat.

Have you looked at the vest? It can fit in your carry-on. And 3y could use it at destination and you can put baby in scerena.

Twinklefae

Another solution for a leash/backpack is to use a little dog collar around the straps of a child size backpack and clip a leash to it. That way your child 'gets' to carry their own toys/goodies and you have a solid grip on them. A friend did this on an international flight for a diaper bag.

Eclipsepearl

I've flown between Europe and California about twice a year for 11 years, most of it alone with three kids (well, one, then two...) I always take a car seat and it's not a problem.

A good quality baby carrier should actually help a bad back. Clutching the child in your arms is worse. If you have "crotch danglers" like a Bjorn, that is not very useful!

By the way, it's very dangerous to have a lap baby attached to you for take off and landing. I'm a former Flight Attendant and in forward impact, attached to you, the lap baby doesn't have a prayer. So make sure he's loose in your lap and not attached to you in any way, shape or form.

Just wanted to remind you to ask at the airport if the person helping you check-in can come to the gate with you. It depends on the airport. Ask about "gate-passes" when you get to the counter.

My flying tips are in my siggie.

Caroline162

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my personal experience...

When our first daughter was a year old we rented a car seat from a car rental place. I don't remember what the brand car seat was, but it was just a cheap convertible seat. First, they tried to install it for us, but it was very apparent that they had no idea what they were doing (they also had to upgrade our car, because they had promised me that the seat would fit RF in their compact car and it didn't). So my DH installed the seat, but we didn't inspect it to make sure it was put together properly, because we were dumb and didn't think about it and weren't familiar with the seat and didn't have a manual or anything. Well, about an hour later, we were driving up a windy mountain road when I looked back and our daughter was leaned all the way forward and practically crawling out of the seat. I screamed and my husband pulled over - it turns out they had assembled the seat improperly, so that when you tugged on the straps, they just came loose! I FREAKED OUT. I was hyperventilating and yelling and calling the car seat company to tell them how they could have killed my child - and they could not have cared less. My husband managed to put the seat together properly (they had completely threaded the straps incorrectly) but we will NEVER rent from a rental company again. As insensitive and ignorant as they were, I just would never trust them - it wouldn't surprise me at all if they used seats that had been crashed, recalled, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC