Britax car seats

C

canadatrish

I have been doing some research on britax car seats and thought it was the right choice for me until I started reading some reviews. The thing that has me questioning my decision to get one is that a couple reviews I read said that the straps were too short...I currently have this problem with my infant carrier and don't want another seat like that....has anyone else noticed this problem? Also what models are people liking? The seat is for my almost 1yr old. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Trish

ADS

Emi's Mommy

All of my research pointed to the shells being too short, particularily if baby is tall and/or you want to rear face as long as possible.

I went with the Safety First Air Protect as it has a super tall shell, rf to 40 lbs and ff to 50. I also looked at the Radian but I needed to get a new seat ASAP after I crashed my infant seat and didn't have enough saved up. The True Fit is also pretty popular but it only RF to 35 pounds and I didn't like the fabric(personal opinion). It's on sale right now at Zellers as is the Air Protect.

I'm still learning about car seats but from my research both are better buys than the new Britax seats.

mommycat

Yes, the Britax "issue" is that in general, the top harness SLOTS are lower than many other seats available. I have not heard of any short-strapped issues with newer Britax convertibles. The Britax seats do not offer the same amount of leg room for RF (possible comfort issue) and less room to grow by height (both RF and FF) than many other seats. The seats are still great but not always the best value/fit.

Quick question - what infant acrrier do you have? How much does your DD weigh and how much shell does she have left over her head? Some infant carriers have adjustable straps where you can let out extra length as the baby grows, so it is possible that this is your issue.

The seat recommendations would depend on your DD's stats, especially weight and torso height (bum to top of head for RF) as some seats are better for taller kids, some for heavier kids, etc. The most important thing though is to plan to rear face your child for a long time, at least until age two but preferably longer, since RF is so much more protective in a crash. Many seats available now can RF a typical child to 3-5 years old. :thumbsup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube - Rear facing is safer[/ame]

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Are the straps to short because your using a winter jacket or snowsuit for baby?

We encourage parents to not use bulky coats/jackets/snowsuits in the car, as they will compress in an accident, leaving to much slack in the straps, which can cause the child to be ejected.

What we suggest, and do for our own children is FLEECE!!! We dress the kids as normal and then put on a fleece sweater or 1 piece fleece if the child is smaller, hats/mitts and in to car seats. tighten up straps, than layer on a blanket or two, but my kids usually never use a blanket once the car warms up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC