Suggestions for travel

tchrgrrl

We may be flying cross country this summer and are trying to figure out our car safety options. My 8 year old is in the 5pt on the top harness slot (with some space) in the Frontier 85. He is about 75 pounds. My 6 year old is on the second harness slot in a Regent and about 45 pounds. We aren't really comfortable with checking the Regent and Frontier (fears that they would get banged up and since that means reinstalling them after a long day of traveling when we get home). My MIL that we will be visiting has an early 2000s Toyota Camary. If possible, my husband would like to avoid renting a bigger vehicle but we will need to fit 3 adults and 2 kids safely in the vehicle. DH and I are plus sized but MIL is pretty little. He thinks she should be able to fit in between the boys' seats in the back of the Camary. I think he is forgetting how much narrow a sedan is than the minivans and SUV we have driven since having kids. I will consider putting them in boosters for the trip but honestly, the idea really freaks me out. My 8 year old has some core strength issues and I worry about him sitting correctly without the 5pt pinning him in. Of course he is getting bigger and the Frontier isn't going to keep him harnessed too much longer.

Spending a week with my MIL is stressful enough.

If we do take/check seats (our current seats or 'extras') would we have to pay to check them since we will also have suitcases? Anyone have recommendations for how to keep my kids as safe as possible and keep my already frazzled car-phobic nerves at ease? Help!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

I would go with booster seats.

My 6yo DS is about 49in tall and weighs around 65lbs. He only fits in the Regent. If we fly this summer, I have no intention of flying with the Regent. We'll pack the highback in our luggage surrounded by clothing and we'll take the nbb as a carry on. Worst case scenario is the airline loses our luggage and DS has to ride from the airport to our destination in a nbb.

I don't think the Frontier and Regent would work with space for another adult in the Camery. My dad has a Toyota Avalon, which I believe is bigger than the Camery. We had the Britax Decathlon on one side and the Radian on the other side and an adult in the middle. It was a tight fit for me (size 14), but doable.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC