Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Extended Rear-facing seat in Greece

I have a friend that is in Greece and wants to do Extended Rear-facing w/ her little one. She said that she can't get any information on what seats will work there that are extended rear-facing. Is anyone on here in Greece or do you have any suggestions? They are going to ask the dealership if they know of any carseats but I doubt that will work. She said they are not big on carseats there and she will probably be one of the only RF momma's around.
    DD1 10/27/04 Graco Nautilus and Graco Turbobooster
    DD2 6/29/09 True Fit and Complete Air

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

Re: Extended Rear-facing seat in Greece

From my very limited & brief experience in Greece over the summer, I will guess that finding an ERF seat in the country is not going to happen. I observed minimal car seat or seat belt use at all, nevermind ERF! I would recommend contacting via Private Message a member named AdventureDad who imports high weight ERF Swedish car seats. He may have more info & could likely help out your friend. My suspicion is that she will have to order a seat online rather than purchase one in-store.

Good Luck!
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

SOmeone else was recently posting about RF in Greece and the comments made there about experiences of people not using a seat at all, let alone ERF... but hey, she will not be the only one there ERF - the lady who started the other thread will be moving there too!

I would PM AdventureDad and get your friend to check out the info on his website, carseat.se to see what seats would be great to RF in.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Here's a link to the other thread:
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=154735
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Car seat use in Greece is not common, at any age, despite it being a law. Child in grandmas lap is considered good protection. Few care although it's slowly changing. There has been quite good interest out of Greece for RF seats.

BeSafe do sell their seats there at a number of children's stores. Their X3 model, both belted and Isofix, is good and safe. It has some issues, not safety related, and does need lots of space.

Many in Greece drive smallish cars where more compact seats such as the Swedish Britax Hi-Way or DuoLogic are a better fit. There are also some other alternatives making rear facing to age 4 or 25 kg (55 lbs) easy and comfortable. Do you now what car she is driving? Also knowing age, weight, and height of child would be helpful to make a better recommendation
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

7. Thank You from:

Unregistered

The child will be 21mth old and is currently 23lbs at 18mths. The car is a opel Corsa.

It is me from the other thread. I was tellng my friends about my dilemna and she also comes to this site...so sweet she is trying to help.

I am working on gettint his height from sitting to shoulder and sitting to top of head..I don't have a measuring tape but will be going to the doc on 2/10 and will have them measure him there and I will get back to you.

He is in a cosco scenera now and he is in the 3rd down from the top slot.

I am still in the states...and have no problem bringing a seat from here with me to greece. and will prob be bringng my scenera to leave at my brothers house..he has an opel Zafira so I am not worried about it fitting in there.

So I finally got to register.

Anyways, i have someone looking at Jumbo for the britax hi way to see the price of it.

So you think that the britax hi way is a good fit for the corsa?
    and you think the design is the most compact right?

They are then going to the car dealer ship to ask if the car has isofix and then we will most likely purchase that seat.

I want to rear face him as long as possible and it's so tough with a small car. Athough I think the corsa is one of the bigger small cars and is also a 4-door.

Sorry for linking you to your own thread, LOL.

We used an Opel Astra in Poland in 2009, and I thought that was a pretty small car - the Corsa is even smaller, isn't it? I had the Scenera RF in the Astra (not sure of the year but not brand new; no ISOFIX and belts did not lock) with pool noodles and a locking clip and it fit just fine. I had to move the Scenera behind the driver to let the pass seat go all the way back for one trip but there was enough room in front when I was sitting there (I'm just 5'2"). Can;t remember if there was room to spare. I am almost sure that I also put the Marathon in rearfacing for one trip when we drove someone home who had a baby. Not that this helps all that much unless the Astra and Corsa have similar interior space.

At least your DS is 18mo already so he should be able to go in with less recline, saving you some space.
    Cat in Canada

Hi-Way and DuoLogic are the two most compact RF seats. There are many parents using these seats in smaller cars such as Opel Corsa, Renault Clio, FOrd Fiesta, Nissan Micra, Peugeot 107, etc. Have some photos of seat installed in a 3-door Corsa if you would like to see. VW Polo is of similar size and can show you how sats fit in there as well.

Both Hi-Way and DuoLogic will last to about 4 years RF or a height of around 110 cm.

A US seat is not legal to use in Europe but there about zero chance anyone would notice or care about that in Greece:-)
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

Thank you sooo much.

We bought a 2011 corsa and it does have ISOFIX, which I am happy about because seeing there is no seat check in greece.

Honestly I don't care about cost...it's important to me that he is rear-faced and safe a can be.
    I'm going to google both seats to see what they look like.

DH is in greece right now and he is going to Jumbo tomorrow to purchase the carseat, so we already have it when we make the move in a couple of months.
    I don't want to have to stress about getting to the store to buy one.
    I'm going to try and take my scenera with me on trip over so we have a seat for the car ride home from the airport.

Is there one of the 2 seats that you recommend more than the other?
    I would love to see a picture of the seat installed.

I appreciate all of your help.

DuoLogic does have Isofix but can also be installed with seat belt. Sleep position is a little easier to adjust. Possible downside is the low 18 kg (40 lbs) weight limit. This is the maximum rear facing limit for any Isofix seat.

Hi-Way is far lighter and is using seat belt for installation. Seat is a little wider and will last rear facing slightly longer (a couple of inches or so). It's far easier to send photos via email than PM or here so please email me at hakan AT carseat.se and I'll send some over