A public appology and retraction of statements

zeo2ski

:eek:
I have previously said that Radians are compatible in my 1998 Suburban; they are in fact INCOMPATIBLE. I'm sorry if my advice has caused anyone to purchase RNs to try in their older model sub. I will go back and try to find any threads I wrote this in and edit them.

I feel like a total @** right now. Last night was an awful night for CRs in my car! DD2 is about to outgrow her KF30 by height; only a half inch to grow so I wanted to replace ASAP, but I was trying to get something I could use in a 3 across for my 3rd row if needed. So last night I went out to try something (hey, it had warmed up to -4!) and when I unbuckled DS1s FF XTSL in the 3rd row outboard, I found out the retractor was not working properly! This retractor had been doing that before, when I had no CR there, but the belt was also twisted and I was able to get the twist out and then the retractor seemed to be fixed. That's when I installed the XTSL there--about a month or two ago--and I haven't moved it since. So I was pretty freaked out about having had him there with a malfunctioning retractor lock!

Next I unbuckled DS2's XT which was RFing 3rd row center, lapbelt. It was kind of tough to move so I gave it a good tug and guess what? I was able to rock the car HARD with the seat COMPLETELY UNBUCKLED, untethered, everything! So I reinstalled a few times and was able to figure out that the plastic on the latchplate hitting the plastic on the CR was giving a false tightness; when I twisted the latchplate out of the way I was able to move the thing 2"+ back and forth (tugging at the beltpath). I tried FFing in that spot too, and the problem was the same. The latchplate was not IN the beltpath, the belt rounded the edge, but the plastic hit plastic (latchplate was flipped 180*). I then tried FF and RF outboard 3rd row and found the same problem, and RF in the outboard seats 2nd row, same thing. I didn't try FF 2nd row because there are no TAs there, and I already knew RFing center was overreclined anyway.

And the OTHER outboard 3rd row retractor was acting up too, which had not happened before. So. Sucky night:( And very :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ADS

StPaulMom

Aw, that sucks! But if it makes you feel better, you're definitely not the first person to have thought the Radian was correctly installed and later realized it wasnt. I've had so many issues with that seat that I am now to the point that I'm immediately skeptical when I hear about a successful installation in ANY vehicle. :(

But the good news is that you DID figure it out, and now you know. And it's not like you just assumed willy nilly that it was ok. You did what you're supposed to do and it truly FELT right.

J-max

CPST Instructor
Don't feel bad. If not for all the people that said it was incompatible I would have thought I had a great FF install in my 3rd row 'burban too (2008). It seems like it goes in nice and tight, but if you pull just right on the front, is slides several inches forward - but almost none side to side.

icnee

I really think t is just the Radian. The XTSL I had did the same thing RFing didnt matter where in my van I put it that thig would be rock th carsolid bu the lap belt you fold in and unbuckle it and that sucker was still rocking the car.

zeo2ski

You know at one point I had an older RN80 and I could not get a good install. I tried again a year or two later with the new ones with the rubber grippies and that's when I thought I got it to work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC