2-door Civic

Aurezalia

This opportunity just sort of fell into my lap. My older sister has a 2005/2006 Honda Civic, a 2-door. She's looking to go to Italy for 6 months, and asked if I'm interested in taking it over for that long. I'm looking to buy a new car right now anyway, so this is actually pretty good timing, as the one I'm driving right now is, well a bucket of crappy, rusty bolts, pretty much. :eek:
What are the logistics of a 2-door car, though? Would my RF'ing RN's fit in it? How annoying is it really to get kids in and out of the back seat? Would it be more trouble than it's worth?
TIA!

ADS

How many kids and how often? I'm betting more trouble than it's worth.

The reason I have the Lexus ES350 is cuz we couldn't fit a Graco Snugride 22 in the back outboard position of my old 325Ci. It would fit in the sedan, but the coupe didn't work and we had the coupe.

If you can get it to work, it's still a pain. If it was just once or at most twice a week, I'd think it's ok. I mean, you REALLY complain about your car so from a safety and reliability standpoint, sure. If it's often, I'd prolly just go get that new more useful car.

Edit: I specifically cited my old BMW cuz I bought it partially cuz I expected to still have it when I had kids. The 3 series is actually defined by the EPA as a 2 door sedan cuz there's so much room in the back. Plus, the doors are really long and open real wide so you have lots of space to work with. Even then, it's kind of a pain to constantly go back there. Especially if anyone is rearfacing. I haven't been in the back seat of a 2006 Civic coupe, but all the other Civic coupes felt way more cramped than the BMW. Even if a RN fit super upright back there, I just think it would be way too much of a pain.

Last edited:

Aurezalia

I... Have no clue yet. I have a couple of leads on jobs with really small infants. I don't have a new job yet so whether or not I'd want to take this over really depends on what I end up with, as well. I'll probably have kids in the car every day or every other day, probably.

I mean, you REALLY complain about your car so from a safety and reliability standpoint, sure. If it's often, I'd prolly just go get that new more useful car.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Pilot will be MUCH more useful than the Civic...

amelia222

My BFF has a 2-door civic, 2005 I think. Installs are easy with an AOE, scenera, and myride. I haven't tried the radian in it though. Getting dd in and out of her seat in that car, well...lets just say its not something I would want to do every day. Both of our heads get bonked almost every time.

Melanie

It looks like 2006 started the current body style. DH has the coupe in that style. We bought it as a commuter car and didn't care about how car seats would work. I've wound up using it with car seats several times though. If your car is unsafe or ready to die you could probably make it work.

I haven't actually tried, but I don't see how you could do 3-across. The middle has a hump instead of being flat across like the sedans.

One RF seat is do-able, especially if you don't need your passenger seat. You'd load from the driver's side. I'm short so I climb right into the car. 2 RF seats would be difficult. I guess you'd have to load through the middle of the front seats or something??

I've had these seats in it:

RF Radian-passenger side with front seat pulled all the way forward. It wanted to over-recline after a couple hours. 33lb kiddo and I didn't work with it a bunch to make it work. Installed with LATCH

FF Radian installed with LATCH. Easy install.

FF Marathon with LATCH or seat belt. Easy install.

Older style Frontier with seat belt LBP. Not too difficult considering the seat.

Recaro Vivo booster

If you're interested, I could see how the Marathon fits RF.

One thing to keep in mind is tall adults can't ride in the back. 5'4" is about the limit I'd be comfortable with. Any taller and their head will be over the headrest and on the back glass.

Daycare kiddo's mom had the older style coupe. 05 and before. She rear faced to 2 in that seat that the top part comes off (Learning Years maybe?). I'm almost positive she was in the middle. She got flipped right at her second birthday. She used a Graco Snugride too.

Rosey

It is certainly inconvenient but not impossible. I used an 01 civic coupe when I was a nanny for years and for the first seven months of Isaiah's life. I fit my P3 in the trunk with some grocery room left. I had his SR22 in there which I would get in and out through the passenger side because that seat slides further forward. I could install it behind the passenger, but the seat had to be moved up. I have installed a RFing MA in the center without moving either front seat, but you do have to climb in a good ways to get it buckled. Buckets and FFing seats are of course the easiest. I had a 3 across with 2 RAs and a TB.

It really depends on how long term you are looking. I bought a CCO specifically for this car before getting my van and it fits beautifully. I have no experience with Radians in there though. You could do it, especially if it is all you could afford, but I was so thrilled when I upgraded to the van.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There is a huge difference between the 2005 and 2006 (new body style). I have a 2006 (but 4-door) and can easily fit RF Radians in my car in all three seating positions. I can also fit just about every other seat that I have ever tried.

I didn't realize, until I read it above, that the coupe has a hump in the middle, so that might make it more difficult.

The Civic is a great car. It sucks for dogs (my dog says so, at least :p), but rocks for people.

Aurezalia

So the consensus is that it's more trouble than it's worth. :p If it was a 4-door I'd love to help my sister out, but I don't want to deal with a 2-door. I also have dogs, so eh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC