Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

WHY should children not wear puffy coats in carseats?

I know the answer, obviously.
    Does anyone have a good link from a "valid" resource?
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: WHY should children not wear puffy coats in carseats?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhng9hvjlI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhng9hvjlI[/ame]

I share this link with people and they end up having the "light bulb" moment
    DS 14 Seat belt, DD 11 Seat Belt, DS 7 Boostered Frontier, DS 1 RF Advocate CS

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Check your manuals. I know I've seen it in at least some of them.

ETA: (from my FR80 manual - 4th bullet)
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Quote Originally Posted by mavmakmar View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhng9hvjlI

I share this link with people and they end up having the "light bulb" moment
    See that video is not particularly wowing to me. I have space bagged items and the seal got open and the bag didn't expand all that much more (I am talking T shirts not coats but if someone wants to argue they will) a parent could see that and say "Well I pull the harness tight, it takes out that slack when I push down on it". Any ad that sells a product is going to be a turn off for someone "looking for a fight" ykwim... I like the photos Bodhi's mom did not too long ago where she showed her kids in medium weight coats (so not even super puffy, just not thin fleece) that were "tight" and passed the pinch test then took off the coats and her kids were able to pretty much climb out from all the slack.
    *Lisa*
    Momma to my 5 monkeys-
    J 9/01, A 6/03, B 10/04, E 9/06 and C 11/09

Quote Originally Posted by 4boysmom View Post
    See that video is not particularly wowing to me. I have space bagged items and the seal got open and the bag didn't expand all that much more (I am talking T shirts not coats but if someone wants to argue they will) a parent could see that and say "Well I pull the harness tight, it takes out that slack when I push down on it". Any ad that sells a product is going to be a turn off for someone "looking for a fight" ykwim... I like the photos Bodhi's mom did not too long ago where she showed her kids in medium weight coats (so not even super puffy, just not thin fleece) that were "tight" and passed the pinch test then took off the coats and her kids were able to pretty much climb out from all the slack.
    Think you might remember what thread that was? My searching skills are...sad.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Here it is: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522

It's a great illustration!
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

8. Thank You from: