how much time is 1.5 inches

nevaehsmommy

Nevaeh is in a Myride. The stated top height is 17 inches. I am looking at the Nauti or Frontier.

Two questions: 1) how much longer would it take to get the 1.5 inches in growth time. 1 year , 6 months?

Second question ) Which one has the better booster fit?

ADS

ConnorsMommy

I've heard children average an inch of torso growth in one year, so your daughter could have as much as 1 1/2 years left in that seat. On the other hand, if she goes through a growth spurt, it could take her less time to grow out of it.
From everything I've read about the Nautilus and the Frontier, it seems that the Frontier has a much better belt fit in booster mode that the Nautilus. This really depends on the child though because I heard that for some kids, the Nautilus fits fine. I'm getting my son a Frontier in the next few weeks because it seems to have less issues than the Nautilus and will last longer.

Kat_Momof3

:yeahthat:

and the Frontier is the better bet on booster fit, as well as having taller top slots (20" vs 18")

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'd say you could pretty much count on a year, but it might be longer.

Do you have reason to believe your child will need to be harnessed at that point? If my math is right, she will be 5.5-6 when she outgrows the myride....at which point a dedicated booster could be a completely appropriate choice.

NannyMom

I also wanted to add I don't think you really get 17 inches out of the My Ride. Sofi has a 15-ish inch torso, and she has about 1 inch (or less) to grow in the My Ride. She's only on the 2nd to top slots in the Nautilus.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Keep in mind, too, that harness measurements are a nice guideline but there are other factors at work. When a convertible seat has 17" slots, for example, it will typically be outgrown long before a kid really has a 17-inch torso.

Usually the more reclined a seat is, the less accurate the measurement.

The more upright a seat is, the more "true" the measurement tends to be.

The MyRide is a rather reclined seat and the Nautilus is very upright. So even though the Nauti's harness height is listed as 1.5 (or whatever) inches higher than the MyRide, in reality it will probably give you much more room than that.

Does that make sense? I feel like I didn't explain it well.

nevaehsmommy

I'd say you could pretty much count on a year, but it might be longer.

Do you have reason to believe your child will need to be harnessed at that point? If my math is right, she will be 5.5-6 when she outgrows the myride....at which point a dedicated booster could be a completely appropriate choice.

She is about to outgrow the myride any day now. her shoulders are just below the top slot.

nevaehsmommy

Keep in mind, too, that harness measurements are a nice guideline but there are other factors at work. When a convertible seat has 17" slots, for example, it will typically be outgrown long before a kid really has a 17-inch torso.

Usually the more reclined a seat is, the less accurate the measurement.

The more upright a seat is, the more "true" the measurement tends to be.

The MyRide is a rather reclined seat and the Nautilus is very upright. So even though the Nauti's harness height is listed as 1.5 (or whatever) inches higher than the MyRide, in reality it will probably give you much more room than that.

Does that make sense? I feel like I didn't explain it well.

That makes lots of sense really. I was thinking that might be the reason. Her torso height when I measure is not 17. Closer to 16

nevaehsmommy

I've heard children average an inch of torso growth in one year, so your daughter could have as much as 1 1/2 years left in that seat. On the other hand, if she goes through a growth spurt, it could take her less time to grow out of it.
From everything I've read about the Nautilus and the Frontier, it seems that the Frontier has a much better belt fit in booster mode that the Nautilus. This really depends on the child though because I heard that for some kids, the Nautilus fits fine. I'm getting my son a Frontier in the next few weeks because it seems to have less issues than the Nautilus and will last longer.

I would prefer the Nauti only bc it is cheaper and I can use my swagbucks to buy amazon gift cards to help pay for it

aeormsby

I think the Nautilus would give her more than an inch of growing over the Myride because it generally installs more upright. So even though it measure about an inch taller, like you said, if she's measuring more like 16" and already getting close to the 17" slots on the Myride she's probably have closer to 2" in the Nautilus.

Not sure if that helps at all. I know in our vehicles the kids have almost an inch more in the Marathon in our truck than in our SUV because of how reclined the seat is in the SUV. And when we got our Frontier DD gained more than just the difference in measured harness height because it installed more upright.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC