I went to Target....

mommyfrog

I was with my sister and mom. My sister was trying on clothes so I decided I'd go visit the car seat aisle. Big surprise, right?!! I turn the corner and there was a VERY pregnant woman sitting on the floor with a booster and a 3in1 sitting in front of here, a hubby, and two little girls. I asked if they needed any help, I'm a car seat tech. They were so happy!! They said they had all three car seats in the car and they fit but they wanted something else for the 4.5 year old. I found out she is 42 pounds and the seat she is in is the 3in1, harnessed. So I gave them all the info about when they're ready for a booster, how the belts should fit, and recommended the Maestro or Nautilus if they thought she still needed to be harnessed. I also told them since she is over the weight limit for the harness they really did need to get her either one of the 50-65 pound harnessed seats or a booster that day. They were so grateful for all the help and couldn't thank me enough. I also gave them a Washington State Safety Coalition card so they could go online and get any other info they need and look for a car seat check up. It was really fun!!

ETA: BTW, there was no clearance seats at the Smokey Point Target.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, you did better than me. I went to buy a seat yesterday and saw a family looking at boosters. Mom and dad were arguing and I ran away. :eek:

sunnymw

Judy, that'd be me. :p

Awesome job!! I can't wait to certify so I can use the "I'm a tech" card too.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The "I'm a tech" card is amazing in situations like that! I helped two separate families at my Target yesterday (spent almost an hour with one of them, the mom was so awesome!!) Truthfully, the information I imparted was no different than what I would have given them last year, but it's definitely beneficial to have that "cred."

Do it, Sunny! :)

mommyfrog

do you know what they ended up buying?

No, I don't. They were still in the car seat aisle when I walked back by about 10-15 minutes later though. I think the mom wanted to keep her harnessed and the dad wanted to get the $25 Turbo!! I got that vibe even though the mom said she was sure she would sit still and she could watch her in the rear view mirror. She just seemed unsure about boostering her. And I made sure to point out that it would hard to reach between the seats to buckle her all the time if she was boostered, whereas if she was harnessed you just put it in once. I wanted to push harnessing with a 4.5 year old without seeming pushy. KWIM? I wish I knew what they picked. It's been bugging me!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC