Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

I went to Target....

I was with my sister and mom. My sister was trying on clothes so I decided I'd go visit the car seat aisle. Big surprise, right?!! I turn the corner and there was a VERY pregnant woman sitting on the floor with a booster and a 3in1 sitting in front of here, a hubby, and two little girls. I asked if they needed any help, I'm a car seat tech. They were so happy!! They said they had all three car seats in the car and they fit but they wanted something else for the 4.5 year old. I found out she is 42 pounds and the seat she is in is the 3in1, harnessed. So I gave them all the info about when they're ready for a booster, how the belts should fit, and recommended the Maestro or Nautilus if they thought she still needed to be harnessed. I also told them since she is over the weight limit for the harness they really did need to get her either one of the 50-65 pound harnessed seats or a booster that day. They were so grateful for all the help and couldn't thank me enough. I also gave them a Washington State Safety Coalition card so they could go online and get any other info they need and look for a car seat check up. It was really fun!!

ETA: BTW, there was no clearance seats at the Smokey Point Target.
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I went to Target....

do you know what they ended up buying?

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Well, you did better than me. I went to buy a seat yesterday and saw a family looking at boosters. Mom and dad were arguing and I ran away.

Judy, that'd be me.

Awesome job!! I can't wait to certify so I can use the "I'm a tech" card too.
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

The "I'm a tech" card is amazing in situations like that! I helped two separate families at my Target yesterday (spent almost an hour with one of them, the mom was so awesome!!) Truthfully, the information I imparted was no different than what I would have given them last year, but it's definitely beneficial to have that "cred."

Do it, Sunny!
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
    do you know what they ended up buying?
    No, I don't. They were still in the car seat aisle when I walked back by about 10-15 minutes later though. I think the mom wanted to keep her harnessed and the dad wanted to get the $25 Turbo!! I got that vibe even though the mom said she was sure she would sit still and she could watch her in the rear view mirror. She just seemed unsure about boostering her. And I made sure to point out that it would hard to reach between the seats to buckle her all the time if she was boostered, whereas if she was harnessed you just put it in once. I wanted to push harnessing with a 4.5 year old without seeming pushy. KWIM? I wish I knew what they picked. It's been bugging me!!!
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35