Question Suggestions for convertible car seat in a midsize sedan

U

Unregistered

Could you provide some suggestions for a convertible car seat.
Right now my son is 5.5 months about 19.5 lbs and at 4 months 17lbs 26.5 inches. I'm sure height will always be an issue to consider with him. I would like to find a seat that can last until he's ready for a booster.

I'm afraid he'll be out of the baby trend infant seat too soon, so I want to find a convertible seat for him. I will be putting it in a 2010 Audi A4. I am not too concerned with cost. I am concerned about the size of it and the safety is the most important. It will be placed behind a seat, not in the center since he has a brother in a booster.

ADS

Keeanh

The new Britax seats are apparently very small front to back. But because they have a shorter shell, they won't last as long rear-facing as some other seats. The Complete Air sits upright (so smaller front-to-back), and rear-faces to 40lbs. THere's a 65lb version that will likely get him to booster age. The Radian also has a tall shell, but is long front-to-back. The True Fit is a nice tall seat, but only rear-faces to 35lbs and is quite wide.

How old is your other son, and what is he in?

U

Unregistered

He is 3 and in a Safety 1st Summit in one car and Graco Turbo in the other car (they don't ride in that one often). He had a Britax roundabout 40 we plan to use for the baby in the other car.

I just bought a Britax Boulevard 65 CS, but now I'm wondering if I should have got the new 70 version since I can find it for about the same price. When you say New Britax, would you be referring to the 65 vs. the 70 in the Boulevard? The Complete Air has always caught my eye as well, but I always wonder if it is more of a marketing idea that will not help as much as you think. It always feels like you new know if you are getting the best, you just know you have the minimum standard.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
He is 3 and in a Safety 1st Summit in one car and Graco Turbo in the other car (they don't ride in that one often). He had a Britax roundabout 40 we plan to use for the baby in the other car.

I just bought a Britax Boulevard 65 CS, but now I'm wondering if I should have got the new 70 version since I can find it for about the same price. When you say New Britax, would you be referring to the 65 vs. the 70 in the Boulevard? The Complete Air has always caught my eye as well, but I always wonder if it is more of a marketing idea that will not help as much as you think. It always feels like you new know if you are getting the best, you just know you have the minimum standard.

How big is your 3y? Weight? Torso height? Is he in the 5-point or booster mode in the Summit?

We don't recommend boosters until at least 4y and 40#. 3y are more mature enought o sit properly all the time.

The new britax are the 70 and the old ones are the 65. The old have a taller shell so they will last and long torso lighter kid longer. The 70s rearface to 40# and the 65s rearface to 35#.

I personnally really like the complete air and it will last longer then the britax seats. I haven't seen the complete air 65 yet, but have heard great things about it on here.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would look into the Complete Air or the Radian. The Radian is narrow, so if it fits front-to-back that's a good choice for putting it next to another seat.

I'm also concerned about your 3yo. What harness height is he in on the Summit? I believe the top harness height is unusable on that seat, on some of if not all of the models -- so if your first son is tall as your second son is, then he may have outgrown it already. It also makes a terrible, unsafe booster.

Also, as Pippi said, a booster is not an appropriate choice for a 3yo. They lack the maturity and bone structure to safely ride in one. I've linked a couple of videos below. Are you open to looking at new seats for your older son, as well?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04"]YouTube - The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Belle's Gift[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ"]YouTube - Importance of a 5-Point Harness Carseat[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM"]YouTube - 5 point harness vs. booster seat crash test[/ame]

U

Unregistered

I wish I had found this site sooner. There are so many options. I will check out the summit to see where it is at. How could they make at top belt placement that is not usable pass the the tests? The toddler just keeps going from one bad fitting seat to another! That is why I'm here. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
I wish I had found this site sooner. There are so many options. I will check out the summit to see where it is at. How could they make at top belt placement that is not usable pass the the tests? The toddler just keeps going from one bad fitting seat to another! That is why I'm here. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

The top bar position is for booster only, so it makes it a taller booster.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I agree -- it's very frustrating. Until about eighteen months ago, my kidlets were the ones who moved out of the harness into the $18 Cosco backless when the next kid needed the harness. Nobody ever told me there were safer alternatives -- until I ended up here. Then I learned how much I didn't know! Very scary. :(

Once you know what slot setting your son is on, let us know that and his weight. You may also be able to economize by doing something like getting a Scenera (or other inexpensive convertible) for your baby now, and a CA65 or Radian for your older son to use. Then down the road a bit, you can pass the "larger" convertible to the baby, and move your older son back to the Turbo.

Otherwise, we would recommend a good combination seat for your older son. We generally recommend the Evenflo Maestro, Graco Nautilus, and Britax Frontier, but exactly which of those is best for your situation is largely dependent on the size of your older son.

Hope that helps! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC