Frontier v Radian - crotch strap, other seats

T

TheSnooks

I've searched the forums and have parts and pieces of what I need however after what seems like a million hours, I'm just going to ask all my questions at once. (PS- I've used this board twice before with AWESOME response. So, thank you!)

Our son is 3 years old, 40 lbs and 40" tall. He is forward facing in a Britax Boulevard. We need to move him to a harnessed booster because his shoulder straps are seconds away from being in the "lower then shoulders position".

We have an old Ford Taurus (94) and a 2003 Toyota Corolla (the "problem").
I am expecting another baby in the fall and would like to have the infant in the middle-- either in a Graco Saferide or our son's Boulevard.

I'm stuck between the Frontier 85, which looks uncomfortable with that super straight back (anyone's kids complain about that?) but is roomy, dependable and will last forever vs the Radian which looks comfy and slim but also doesn't last as long. Crotch strap is also a concern. Does the Radian have 3 slots?

I think I read that the Radian gives us better hope of putting a seat in the middle. I can't go with a Nautilus because he already sits on the 1st slot and is very close to doing so on the second crotch strap slot. so that's out.

I'm stuck with where to go but ideally I want: a seat that would allow us to use the Boulevard (RF and, later, FF) right next to it in the back seat of our 2003 Corolla.

HELPPPP!!! (before I poke my eyes out!)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are you sure the headrest is all the way up on the headrest? Or does your son wear something like size six shirts and three pants? He just doesn't sound tall enough to have outgrown it, unless his torso is just monsterous.

The Frontier is not a narrow seat, but it may puzzle better with a rear facing Boulevard than the Nautilus will.

I'd try to get your son in the middle, if possible, and put the baby outboard. Put the less safe person, the forward facing child, in the most protected position. That's the middle.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC