Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

So proud of Grandpa!

Child safety seats were never something my dad thought twice about when he was younger. When I was 2, my dad got a ticket when he got pulled over, not only for speeding but because he had me sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket behind the driver's seat in his extended cab pick up. I was always jokingly blamed for that because I peeked my head out to say hi. Otherwise he never would have seen me. lol
    When I was 6, we took a family trip and we needed to take his truck to haul camping equipment, and he didn't want to take two cars so he was going to have us (my bro and I) ride in the back of the truck for a good 4-5 hours. The only reason we didn't is because he learned it's illegal. Not because it was unsafe, because it was illegal. They begrudgingly took two vehicles.

Fast forward to recently. When he drove me to pick up my niece to babysit and she was crammed into a snowsuit (in september...) into her carrier, he refused to move until it was removed and the straps were tightened. I would have too, but didn't have to. When he learned that a friend's child was in an old, not-recommended infant seat that was given to her w/o a base, he went out and bought her a new seat and taught her about ERF.

The contrast is amazing! A lot of grandparents get a bad rap for being out of date on new standards, but I wanted to share to show that you can, in fact, teach an old dog new tricks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: So proud of Grandpa!

That's so awesome! Proves... when you know better, you do better

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Thumbs up to grandpa!

Senior Community Member

That is great! to Grandpa!
    Mama to an amazing 8 month old baby boy and many fur babies!

That is AWESOME

Awesome!!!
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

My dad had us sit on a speaker in the back of a van i remember falling of with stops and turns.

That is so awsome how much your dad has learned.
    Isaiah 11yrs 5'4" 144# passes the 5 step test Cadence 8yrs 47# btb Naveah 6yrs 50# btb Emma 5yrs 41# RF diono 120 & booster Elijah 3YRS 38lbs RF diono 120
    Auto correct gone wild.

Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

Yup, I never had a carseat as a child, but now my dad knows so much about carseats he talks about his friends that don't have their grandchildren in proper seats.

This goes for other things too, like wearing helmets for biking, skiing, etc.
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

That's awesome! to your dad, he's amazing!

DS1 - 7 years and in an Evenflo BigKid Sport for now.
    DS2 - 4 years already! RF in a Boulevard ClickTight.

DC3 - It's a GIRL! In a Keyfit!

Awesome!
    Lauren, mommy to:
    Philip 9/4/2008, Affix w/ SS
    Andrew 8/17/2010, harnessed Nauti
    Lydia 1/14/2013, ERF MR65
    Sophia 3/18/15, SR30