Buckle up Bears - ONTARIO TECHS????

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I just got a phone call from the Co-operators stating they are running a certification clinic next week (may 1/2) to participate in their carseat clinic check program. They said the program is really big in Ontario.

ONTARIO Techs - How did you get certified? Was it through a program like this?

I'm trying to figure out if there is a national certification process out here in the West.
Winnipeg's is run through St. John's Ambulance, but just got cancelled.
Saskatchewan's is through SGI (insurance company), not sure if national or not.
Alberta - apparently Co-operator's (insurance company), is starting up a program promising to run two major checks each year.

Are they all the same course? Is one better than the other? I'm really tempted to take the Alberta course... I would have to take the Co-operator's course in order to participate in their carseat clinics, but want to make sure it is a legit course and not just some 'buckle up info giving course'.

Should I just take the Alberta course so I can participate in their car seat clinics? What do you think?

Sorry, this is so scattered. My mind is a jumbled mess from everything going on lately.

ADS

JaRylan

The email that I received confirming that I am in the Regina course in May says: "The Saskatchewan Prevention Institute is pleased to inform you that your application for the Child Passenger Safety Technician training has been accepted." I always thought that in Canada it was called CRST (Children's Restraint Safety Technician). The organizer (Laynni) has assured me that it is a national certification course that would be recognized across Canada.

SGI doesn't run the course in Saskatchewan...but when I phoned them is when I finally got the right contact numbers and names for the organization that does. Somehow "Saskatchewan Prevention Institute" never came to mind.

That would be great if you could take it nearby and not have to travel all the way to Saskatoon.

Hopefully we hear from some Canadian techs soon!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
She told me the organizer for the course is a child and infant prevention institute out of Ontario, but now I can't remember the exact name of the institute.

She's going to call me tomorrow with answers to my questions, but she did say that I would not be able to participate in their child car seat clinics without being certified through them. This is why I was a little concerned whether there is a national certification or not... or what's different about theirs, kwim?

Why can't Canada just get on the ball and have a national, easy to find, certification process... like Safekids in the USA?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Jen did you get a email about the MB course being cancelled? I've tried emailing him but he hasn't returned any of my emails.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen did you get a email about the MB course being cancelled? I've tried emailing him but he hasn't returned any of my emails.

I didn't. :eek: I was just going by what you posted. Am I wrong? Or is it still cancelled?

I think I'm just going to take the Alberta course. At least than I can participate in their seatchecks and they do require you to recertify every year, so at least they are keeping up on trends. I just wish their course wasn't on the same days as the Saskatoon course. I would have liked to take both so I could compare any differences.:p

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I didn't. :eek: I was just going by what you posted. Am I wrong? Or is it still cancelled?

I think I'm just going to take the Alberta course. At least than I can participate in their seatchecks and they do require you to recertify every year, so at least they are keeping up on trends. I just wish their course wasn't on the same days as the Saskatoon course. I would have liked to take both so I could compare any differences.:p

Yes mine was cancelled because he resigned from MPI but there is a class this weekend and for some reason I was thinking that was the class you were talking about that was cancelled. Sorry about that, blonde moment! I am hoping that someone else will be able to certify me as going to Regina just won't work for those dates :thumbsdown:

JaRylan

Yes mine was cancelled because he resigned from MPI but there is a class this weekend and for some reason I was thinking that was the class you were talking about that was cancelled. Sorry about that, blonde moment! I am hoping that someone else will be able to certify me as going to Regina just won't work for those dates :thumbsdown:

Are you able to get into the class this weekend? I hope so! Fingers crossed.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Are you able to get into the class this weekend? I hope so! Fingers crossed.

I was signed up for the class before the date was decided, once the date was announced I already had plans for that weekend :( I am still waiting to hear from him if there is anyone else who can certify . . . .

Jen, sorry to highjack your thread!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen, sorry to highjack your thread!

No problem!

It's official... I pulled out of the Sasaktoon training course and will be taking the course here in Airdrie.

After all that team effort to find a class near me... they came looking for me! I take the class next week Tuesday/Wednesday. It sounds extremely familiar to the outline for the Saskatoon/Regina course, so I'm pretty sure it's run along the same lines, but they want me to take their course in order for me to participate in their program.

The woman I talked to was super nice and asked me if I had any seats I could bring... so I'm bringing the following:
SKJP Radian
Britax Marathon
Britax Parkway
Graco ComfortSport - borrowed from a friend with twisted straps and all!
Graco Treasured Cargo - borrowed from a friend with twisted straps & all!
Evenflo 3pt infant seat - I think it's an On My Way, but not positive... also borrowed from a friend.

At least the new techs will get to see a mix of old vs. new and just what twisted straps mean and how they can be dangerous if not laying flat.

Any tips/hints for when I go to class?

JaRylan

No problem!

It's official... I pulled out of the Sasaktoon training course and will be taking the course here in Airdrie.

After all that team effort to find a class near me... they came looking for me! I take the class next week Tuesday/Wednesday. It sounds extremely familiar to the outline for the Saskatoon/Regina course, so I'm pretty sure it's run along the same lines, but they want me to take their course in order for me to participate in their program.

The woman I talked to was super nice and asked me if I had any seats I could bring... so I'm bringing the following:
SKJP Radian
Britax Marathon
Britax Parkway
Graco ComfortSport - borrowed from a friend with twisted straps and all!
Graco Treasured Cargo - borrowed from a friend with twisted straps & all!
Evenflo 3pt infant seat - I think it's an On My Way, but not positive... also borrowed from a friend.

At least the new techs will get to see a mix of old vs. new and just what twisted straps mean and how they can be dangerous if not laying flat.

Any tips/hints for when I go to class?

I'm hoping to pick up some expired seats at garage sales over the next couple of weeks to add to my pitiful stash (Radian and AO). I've only had 4 seats since Rylan was born - the Graco babyseat is lent out for June and the FF Cosco AO is being used by a friend).

I'm so glad that you were able to find a class (or they found you, lol) close to home. Now if only we could find a class for Jewels (I feel bad for you Jewels, you started all of this before we did and now are without a class again :( :( :( ).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC