? for CPSDarren re his in car DVD system

J

jcpett

Darren,

Not too long ago you posted some photos of your kids in their new wizard and bodyguard. In the photos I noticed DVD screens attached to the head restraints in front of them. I am thinking about buying a system like this before we take a 1,000 mile road trip at Thanksgiving. Could you tell me what brand yours is and approximate retail price and anything else you think might be helpful? Have you been happy with it? Does it come with earphones for the kids? I would love to be able to listen to a book on tape while the kids are watching a movie in the back.

TIA,

Jill

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi-

It's a pretty old system with a VCR player and a detachable 5" LCD screen. I got it on ebay from a rental agency (survivethedrive.com) for under $200 a few years ago. I later bought an extra LCD from the same place when they clearanced them for under $100. It is made by Steelhorse and called the Video Traveler. There are headphone jacks, but headphones were not included. I think Best Buy used to carry them for $300-$400, but most players you find today are DVD units. I think you can find personal DVD players for a couple hundred dollars depending on screen size.

I think on our next trip I will bring my laptop to play DVDs and leave the VCR player. I will still use the detachable LCD screens.

I hope that helps!

J

jcpett

One more question

Are you saying that you can use the detachable LCD screens when playing a DVD on your laptop? We actually have a laptop with a DVD player that we have used on trips in the past, but we just wedge it between the front captain chairs in our Eurovan and don't really have it secured well. I was trying to find a safer option especially since we will be driving mountain passes and I'm worried about the roads being slick. If I could just get two LCD screens and use them with my laptop that would probably save me a lot of money. Can you tell me how they connect or should I just go to Circuit City or someplace like that and see if someone there can help me?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Jill, CPS Tech and Mom to 2

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It would vary depending on the screen. The ones I have use a standard "composite" video signal, but they connector is a stereo headphone jack (one for video and one for mono audio).

My laptop only has a S-VHS output. I use a $5 adapter to go from S-VHS to Composite Video, then an adapter cable to go from composite video RCA connector to the headphone connector. A different LCD screen or laptop may not need all those adapters...

J

jcpett

Thanks for all your help. I'm definitely going to look into this before buying an entire in car DVD system.

Jill

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC