SGL, or... ???

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
(I'm not sure if this belongs here or upstairs. It's part about selection and part thinking aloud. If someone moves it, could you do me a favor and reply and explain the rationale? I'd just like to know which trumps, for the future. Thanks!)

More posting about my troublemonkey J. I don't know why every post is about him, lol, I guess it's because he's the biggest of the "little kids" and everyone else just moves into what he's outgrown, lol.

I found out recently I will not have J in my care as of the fall. This is ok (albeit sad :crying:), not unexpected and amicable -- no need for a f/t nanny for part-time care. Of course, one of my first thoughts is, who's gonna oversee his CPS... :rolleyes: lol

J rides in EFTAs right now in both parents' vehicles. Mom tries to do things right. Still makes errors, due to not taking time to get chest clip just right, untwist straps, etc, but a pretty good effort. Dad, OTOH, has a disdain for CPS in general. Both older brothers were no booster/front seat by 4; law changed to age 8 when the younger was 5.5 but he *refuses* to use one. I think (though I'm not certain) he only buckles chest clip on J's seat. I know for sure he took him with no seat at all (it had been pulled out for cleaning) once this summer. You get the idea. Right now he is in the car with dad appx once a month. Once I am no longer with the kids, it will be much more often.

J is hovering around 45-46lbs. I expect him to be 48 or more before I leave. He will be 4 next month. The family will not be purchasing another HWH seat. I expect him to be boostered full time by this time next year.

This is my plan... tell me if you see flawed thinking. I would like to booster train J in the spring, once the bad weather has passed. He will be 4y2m or so, and 46 lbs. His impulse control is not great, but also not horrible -- he won't sit 100% in position automatically but he's also not going to be unbuckling or turning around in his seat. I don't see that changing between April and August. His personality hasn't changed much between 18mos old and now, lol.

During the school year, we make lots of short trips around town, with just a couple of kids in the car. In the summer, we have lots of long trips, with a full vehicle. Our days are long and fun-filled and the kids snooze on the way home. So I definitely want him harnessed for the summer, which is why I want to train him in the spring -- I think he's better off being trained in the spring, than being put UNtrained in a booster in the fall, kwim? I mentioned booster training in passing to mom, she's fine with me doing it.

Initially I thought about just using a Turbo. Then I kind of changed thoughts, and am thinking about getting an SGL. I'm thinking that if I get something LATCHed, I can put it in Dad's car myself, before I leave, and it will be more convenient to use it than remove it, kwim? (Dad has lots of difficulty undoing LATCH; Mom won't even touch it lol. :whistle:) It might buy him a while before Dad ditches the booster altogether. I'm also hopeful that Dad will be more open to continuing to use a booster for J than he was to putting C back in one. Despite his disdain, I do think that's a possibility.

I love my Monterey, but I'm thinking SGL for a few reasons. 1) I can use the SG at first, since he's a young rider. 2) J borderline fits in the Monterey; it is acceptable with headrest up a click. SGL is a bit narrower, right? 3) J's older brother will need a HBB for the summer (sleeps in car) and is tall. I think the SGL is taller than Monterey. (We will try the SGL out before purchase.)

Whatever I buy, I will give to family in the fall, with the explanation "I bought it for your kids and have no more use for it." $$$ is not an issue in this for me. I am fine giving the seat away.

So, there are two issues here. Is this a circumstance in which early booster training is warranted? And is the SGL a good choice? Other thoughts?

TIA.

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
My only thought is that Dad may not use the SG clip even if it is there since you mentioned he sometimes only does up the chest clip. Would J be able to buckle himself? I probably would concentrate on what booster fits him best.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Oh, you're totally right. I had forgotten to include that part of the plan; I would use the SG clip for training with me but remove it shortly before I passed the booster on. I'm thinking the fewest steps possible (including teaching J to buckle himself) is going to give him the best chance at being safe in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC