Airplane/travel configuration

aecasey

Hiya,

My husband is taking my two kids to visit grandma and grandpa this spring. The kids will be 3 1/2 and 5 1/2, and they are flying domestically with one connection (Delta, I think). The last plane trip we took was over two years ago and we have had one really bad experience flying with carseats (involving almost getting kicked off a plane for having a RFing infant), so I really want to make this as easy as possible for my husband.

At home they both ride FF in Marathons. The little one just got turned FF about a month ago. She is just over 35 pounds.

So my question is this: do both of them, neither of them, or just the little one need a carseat on the plane? Will the Marathons work? My MIL does have a HBB at her house (no idea what brand) that my niece used there. Would that be okay for my 5 yo for the week?

Also complicating this is that I know DS (the older one) is getting close-ish to outgrowing his seat, so we COULD use this opportunity to purchase something new, but only if it makes sense in the long run.

Ack - I feel like I was so all over this carseat stuff when my kids were littler, and now I'm two years out of date. Help! Thanks!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd be fine with the older child using a booster for the trip as long as you're confident he'll sit properly. If you don't want to use the one your MIL has, you could get something like a TurboBooster, then pack the back in the luggage and carry on the base (not for use on the plane, but just to have).

babyherder

I'd find out what booster your MIL has. If its one that usually provides a good belt fit I'd have your 5 yr old use that. For your 3 year old I'd either use the MA if your husband is up for lugging it around or get something lighter for the trip (maybe a Maestro?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC