Urban Legends

Loves2sing

Yesterday there was a thread about what your SN meant and why, and it was fun learning new stuff about y'all on here. So I thought I would start a new discussion, about Urban Legends. Which is your favorite, which you believe, which scares you the most, ect.

The one that freaks me out the most is the one where someone is waiting in the backseat of the girls car inthe parking lot, and the scary guy tries to warn her, but she just takes off cause she is freaked out. Then the guy in the back kills her. Still makes me check the backseat everytime I drive alone, especially at night!

ADS

amy919

That one is definitely at the top of my list, as well as the one where someone is hiding under your car and cuts your achilles tendon as you're getting into the car.

I can't help but check my backseats and under my car when I'm alone, especially with the kids.

The one that scares me the most is the one where someone tells you their child is choking in the backseat and asks for help. When you get to the car, they grab you and abduct you. This one scares me because I can see falling for it.

Amy

skaterbabs

The one that annoys me the most is the one saying cell phones cause gas pump explosions. They don't, but way too many people have fallen for it.

www.snopes.com is your friend. :whistle:

Chameleon

I love snopes. I can't stand all those annoying emails I get. I just send the sender the link to snopes. LOL

Simplysomething

The thing about snopes is that you get emails from people claiming "I checked snopes...and it's 100% true!!!!!!" (Always with the many exclaimation points). Gah.
I will tell you this, if someone emails me something that's an urban legend, crap about any politician, actor, random celebrities, supposed sick or missing children, free anything from Bill Gates OR AOL...and it's just carbon copied, I only give them a private "this isn't true, snopes.com is a very helpful website..." once. After that, I reply to all... I figure, they've polluted dozens of in boxes with their crap, I might as well set the record straight. Or attempt to.

I get annoyed when people reply to the stuff with "omg, I don't care if snopes says it isn't true...it's good information to have". When it's not! Gah. I'
Like, coke desolves all kinds of things.
Men abducting random women with perfume samples.
That Walt Disney's head was frozen...
Anything about George W. Bush or either Clinton.

Almost everything attributed to Andy Rooney, George Carlin, Dennis Miller and Steven Wright are not in fact by any of them.
A friend forwarded me this one in an email...and I didn't even need to send her the snopes page...lol (cause, the M&M is near here...but really, bridge tunnels are not unusual..so, I dunno why it was even interesting. lol)

Or What about the ones with the syringe in the coin returns..or the ball pit...

Genereally, if you have been forwarded it, it's probably been either verified or debunked there. Most likely debunked. Because most of the crap people foward is just that..crap.

Locally, there was someone we called "the purple lady". She was supposedly responsible for all of the telephone poles that were painted purple (partially). People claimed she wore all purple and lived in a purple house. I recall seeing the purple telephone poles when taking school field trips to Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown, but I can't remember anything specific. Googling it comes up with random recollections like mine. lol

If you forward this post to twenty five people, Martha Stewert will give me a cookie.

southpawboston

the urban myth that irks me the most is the one that claims that you can use your cell phone to unlock your car if you lose your remote. i used to work quite a bit with car electrical systems and there is no basis for that claim.

JaRylan

SNOPES RULES! I've used it for years and I do like someone else posted...I reply privately with the link and say probably not true check this out.

Did you get your cookie yet?

Morganthe

I hate all Urban Legends. I particularly loathe people who forward them.

I love me some snopes :love:

I'm with you. I always send links of the urban legend demythified by snopes back to the sender. So far, no one has ever bothered to thank me for it either :p

The one Urban legend I absolutely loathe and ended a friendship with bitter words over was the retinkered one that compared last fall's early blizzard in Colorado to Hurricane Katrina. Title is "Denver Weather bulletin". It was plagarized from an earlier blizzard comparison with Katrina
http://www.snopes.com/katrina/soapbox/dakota.asp

I was told I was being close minded, missed the message completely, and that it didn't matter that the author attempted thinly veiled racism via a demonstration of ignorance of geography
""In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."
It does seem that way, at least to me.

So do most of the world's population since it's barely south of the US/Canadian border :p (And that's not an insult to Canadians, Russians, Northern Europeans, & Northern China -- population density is just considerably less iykwim) I had asked her many times to stop sending me these things, so this was the final straw. :shrug-shoulders: I miss her a lot, but not all the e-rumours that used to fill up my inbox.

I always love how facts or truth doesn't matter in these e-rumours. "Even if this isn't true, it could happen and we should worry about it" :rolleyes:
I also thought the dire story of a teenager losing her virginity while her parents were on vacation, at the same time becoming pregnant, and then dying of AIDS after her newborn baby did was also a bit idiotic. Someone should write for Soaps. :p

JaRylan

Sigh...what happened to the good old days when times were simpler and so were the legends? Back when I was a kid you knew:
- not to chew Bubbalicious strawberry gum because it was filled with spider eggs
- that you could get pregnant by holding hands with a boy
- that if you stood in the school bathroom with the lights out and stared at the mirror and then flicked the lights on and off that the image of Bloody Mary would appear in the mirror

Sigh....

Morganthe

- that if you stood in the school bathroom with the lights out and stared at the mirror and then flicked the lights on and off that the image of Bloody Mary would appear in the mirror

Sigh....

Just as long as you didn't say "Bloody Mary" three times while you were doing that, you'd be ok. Otherwise, you're so dead from her wrath.
It was an entire episode of "Supernatural" so I know it's true ;) :D

JaRylan

Just as long as you didn't say "Bloody Mary" three times while you were doing that, you'd be ok. Otherwise, you're so dead from her wrath.
It was an entire episode of "Supernatural" so I know it's true ;) :D

Duh, silly me, I forgot about having to say it three times. Good thing we all learned the same truths in school. I mean it has to be true, I grew up in Canada and you didn't and I went to school long before the internet was invented.:p

Morganthe

I mean it has to be true, I grew up in Canada and you didn't and I went to school long before the internet was invented.:p

Not in Canada, but near enough to cause trouble when I was a teen (3 hrs away). So it might just be a Northern thing ;)
Internet not even a glimmer either. There was a computer programing class that I failed miserably at because I couldn't figure out DOS command order lines. I played RECORDS, then thought cassette tapes were the height of listening pleasure :p

Folk & fairy tales have always been my thing. That's where cautionary rumors began. DD is already following in the tradition with all the stories on CD that I've located for her to listen to during the past year. She LOVES Rumplestilkskin & Beatrix Potter. Thankfully, Disney isn't the only audio producer on the market for kids :thumbsup:

Mumoflittleguys

I hate all Urban Legends. I particularly loathe people who forward them.

I love me some snopes :love:

And that about sums it up for me, too.

I have an email loop member that constantly forwards the "9 thing to do to avoid being abducted" type ones, and it drives me up a wall. This member apparently has a Snopes immunity.:rolleyes:

Morganthe

Nope, not a Northern thing. I'm in California and we did the same thing ;)

Ahhhh, but were you in NORTHERN or southern CA?
I always considered NOCAL in the same boat as OR & WA -- the weather is similar until past San Francisco. :D (as long as you're not inland). CA is such a long state :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
syringe in the ... ball pit...
Except that real news articles have reported this in the McD's next to my highschool in Cali -- & Leila's school is rquired to check the playground for syringes, etc. each morning ... I knew of a lot of dumb@$$ highschool druggies who liked hanging out at little kid playgrounds :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC