what are opinions on this here?

ADS

lovinwaves

Great article! However, there is always a "Fresh start" or "new beginning" that companies may do. They should be at least given that.

I personally think the CA is cheap and flimsy feeling, but I put my kids in the seat and would do so again and again. I don't think it's a high quality seat and it's difficult to install, but it will restraint and protect my children in an accident.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I commented on that blog post when it came out last year (comments 2, 8, 13, and 14) and I stand by those comments.

Uh...except that I've purchased a Complete Air for my daughter in the meantime. :eek:

It took a lot of soul-searching to decide to buy one. The truth is that I do not trust Dorel as a company, but that seat was--for better or worse--the one that best fit my situation.

I had to decide whether the merits of the seat outweighed the merits (or lack thereof) of the company.

I decided they did, although I'll admit I'm still not 100% comfortable with or confident in my decision.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
I stopped reading when they said dorel, safety 1st, maci cosi etc were "junk car seats". I'd be interested in reading it if it were to help parents make informed decisions, but without the name calling.

TerisBoys

I've used Cosco seats in the past. At 2yo, a Touriva was the only seat that fit in my car that William could still RF in. I loved my Grand Explorer w/ shield removed for tight 3-across scenarios. I'll recommend a Cosco High Rise any day of the week.

That said, I do find some irony in the headline of that magazine page.

"You don't always see side impact crashes coming. We've had our eye on them for years."

I wonder if they started watching them before or after kids started being injured and/or dying during said side-impact crashes when their head hit the notches? I about cried when I heard about the deadly notches in the Touriva shell - the seat I'd used for William.

Ironic how those revolutionary pillows in the Onside Air just happen to fall right where the notches used to be, no?

Not trying to start an argument - just my :twocents:.

Cryssy Jane

I have two CAs (a 50lb and a 65lb) and I use them both on a daily basis. Yes IMO there are 'better' seats out there, but for those of us who have tight spaces (especially front to back) this seat fills my needs and allows the taller kiddos in my care to stay RF longer. I can only fit a radian in 1/5 positions in the van safely, where a CA fits in any location, yet is slim enough that I can put something next to it. I'm not a dorel fan by any means, but right now this is the best seat that fits what I need and where I need it to go.

rodentranger

I have two CAs (a 50lb and a 65lb) and I use them both on a daily basis. Yes IMO there are 'better' seats out there, but for those of us who have tight spaces (especially front to back) this seat fills my needs and allows the taller kiddos in my care to stay RF longer. I can only fit a radian in 1/5 positions in the van safely, where a CA fits in any location, yet is slim enough that I can put something next to it. I'm not a dorel fan by any means, but right now this is the best seat that fits what I need and where I need it to go.

That pretty much sums it up. It isn't my favorite seat, but it fits my child, my car and my budget. I know I am using it and installing it correctly. It allowed my ODS to be rf until almost his 4th birthday, and for less than $200. I plan on buying a second one to use as YDS's tertiary seat when he out weights the MA rf.

mamakc

The only reason I didn't buy one when it first came out was because it was made by Dorel. Eventually I purchased one because it was really my only option other than a radian (and the radian wasn't working for me at all). I still have fears about it, to be honest, but I do plan on buying another one because it's just the right seat for us. Like PP said, it fits my car, my budget, and my child.

Kat_Momof3

all companies have gone through periods of bad recalls... evenflo, graco, even Britax.

I think what failed was the court system... they should have not let the case go on so long.

I have no issue recommending seats from companies that have had all these kinds of recalls, because it has nothing to do with the integrity in general... just means that no company is perfect. It is this kind of thing that drives companies to try to cover up issues in general, for fear that recalls will cause people to refuse to buy anything from them.

yea I had seen it last year but kind of forgot about it.

Honestly if you dig deep enough all companies have their issues.. It really freaks people out though when there is a problem.. radians with the loosening latch.. marathons and the Canadian testing.. people freaked even though they were not even installed correctly!

Honestly I am keeping my dorel seats, I like both of them very much.. but reading this again and then seeing people post (on the other board) "this is why I do not own dorel seats I wouldn't trust them with my babies life" or "well now I know I am not buying a CA like I planned" or "oh I should sell my CA now" makes me feel like maybe people think it is irresponsible to keep a dorel seat and use it.. honestly, if you want to pick apart every company, you are left with no car seat company you can trust really.. well maybe first years.
so honestly I think if you have a dorel seat, use it correctly and to it's fullest potential, you should not feel worried.
I have an avenue because it was super cheap at kmart and it seriously works awesome for Nolan, and I have recently traded in our radians for a CA, and I am very happy with it.. it meets our car seat needs just right.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I love my CA, and my AOE, truth be told. i guess if these seats were breaking all over right and left, we'd hear about it more...dorel makes a TON of cheap seats that a HUGE portion of the general public uses...and I'm not hearing about ripped harnesses and stuff on a daily basis here. Most kids rding around in dorel seats seem to fare just fine in the many, many daily crashes that occur, AND we know that probably 90% of those seats are being used incorrectly, AND 99.5% of those kids are probably restrained at the bare minimum level, 12 mo FFing, 3 yo in booster mode, etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I love my CA, and my AOE, truth be told. i guess if these seats were breaking all over right and left, we'd hear about it more...dorel makes a TON of cheap seats that a HUGE portion of the general public uses...and I'm not hearing about ripped harnesses and stuff on a daily basis here. Most kids rding around in dorel seats seem to fare just fine in the many, many daily crashes that occur, AND we know that probably 90% of those seats are being used incorrectly, AND 99.5% of those kids are probably restrained at the bare minimum level, 12 mo FFing, 3 yo in booster mode, etc.

:yeahthat:

A Scenera saved my kid from injury in a not-exactly-minor crash. It performed just fine-- it was installed and used correctly.

I'd much, much rather see kids in Dorel seats than no seat, or a less-proper-for-the-situation seat; the CA in particular can rear-face a lot of kids who wouldn't be otherwise!

And personally, I rather like the seat. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC