Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Proposed CPS law for Oregon

I am going to the work seesion today. Here is the propsed bill:

Safe Kids Child Occupant Protection Law
    HB 2536A/SB 480

Unintentional injury and death to Oregon children while traveling in motor vehicles can be prevented. Currently, Oregon law requires children younger than 6 years of age or weighing less than 60 pounds to ride in booster seats. Recent research has shown that adult lap and shoulder belts do not fit children until they are 8 years of age or 4’9” tall. (Partners for Child Passenger Safety, Fact and Trend Report 2006) By requiring the use of child safety seats for children up to 8 years of age or 4’9”, Oregon would be ensuring that children who do not fit in adult safety belts are protected. This change would clarify the safest way to transport children for families.

HB 2536A Update: On March 26, 2007, the House Judiciary Committee voted to pass the amended bill. Currently HB 2536A is awaiting review by the Ways & Means Committee.

SB 480 Update: SB 480 is the Senate version of 2536A. Currently being amended. A public hearing was held on Monday April 17.

FACTS
    According to Oregon Vital Statistics, motor vehicle accidents remain the leading cause of unintentional injury and death to Oregon children ages 1-14 in 2004.

Despite the fact that children ages 4 to 8 years are safer riding in booster seats, only 52% of Oregon’s booster age children are riding in booster seats. (ODOT, 2006 Occupant/Child Restraint Observation Study)

Children who do not fit in adult safety belts can be ejected from the vehicle. Ejection from the vehicle is one of the most injurious events that can happen to a person in a crash. In fatal crashes, 75 percent of passenger car occupants who were totally ejected from the vehicle were killed. (NHTSA’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis)

By upgrading our child occupant protection law, Oregon may be eligible for more than $400,000 of federal funding under Section 2011. These funds would provide additional education and child safety seats for families in need in Oregon.

Effective June 1, 2007, Washington state will enact their updated child passenger safety law which will require children to use a child safety seat or booster up until age eight unless they are 4’9” tall. (ACTS Oregon website, October 2006)

PROPOSED REVISIONS TO ORS 811.210 and 811.215
    Requires persons who are under eight years of age and are under 4’ 9” to use a child safety system in motor vehicle.

Requires persons under one year of age regardless of weight or under 20lbs. to use a rear-facing child safety system.

Creates offense of endangering child safety.

As of February 2007, the following have joined the coalition supporting HB 2536/SB 480:
    Oregon Legislators
    Senator Devlin
    Senator Monroe
    Representative Gelser
    Representative MacPherson

Associations and Organizations
    ACTS Oregon Child Safety Seat Resource Center
    American Medical Response
    Boring Fire District
    Oregon Medical Association
    Oregon Pediatric Society
    Safe Kids Worldwide
    Safe Kids Central Oregon
    Safe Kids Clackamas County
    Safe Kids Columbia County
    Safe Kids Columbia Gorge
    Safe Kids Douglas County
    Safe Kids Grant County
    Safe Kids Harney County
    Safe Kids Lane County
    Safe Kids Malheur County
    Safe Kids North Coast
    Safe Kids Portland Metro
    Safe Kids Rogue Valley
    Safe Kids Umatilla & Morrow Counties
    Safe Kids Wallowa County
    Safe Kids Willamette Valley
    Last edited by Judi; 04-26-2007 at 12:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Re: Proposed CPS law for Oregon

I really hope this goes through! I need to write some letters, it sounds like. Not many legislators seem to be on board with this.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Re: Proposed CPS law for Oregon

If you want the email I got with everyone names, etc., just PM me your email address.