7 and 8 seater SUV's or Minivans

amm240

Ok, so come summer, we will have the following carseats...

2 Britax Marathons (both FF)
1 Graco Snug Ride (RF)

Eventually, when the baby moves out of the Snug Ride, she'll get my older daughter's Marathon and we'll get a booster for her.

So, my question is...we want a vehicle with three rows (and a usable third row...not just one that is there).

What recommendations do you have that would fit these carseats? I like the idea of having two captain chairs in the middle row, but not sure it's possible?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I don't think you'll have much problem fitting those three seats in. You mentioned captain's chairs, so I'm assuming you aren't going for three across in any situation.

Generally, it's better to pick the vehicle you want, and then work on the seats. I'd rather spend a couple hundred on a new seat or two, than settle on the vehicle just to keep your current seats.

The only thing I'll mention is that some of the Jeep vehicles have fixed headrests that interfere with forward facing seats, and sometimes boosters. I hear about it most often in the Commander, but I think some of the other vehicles have the same issue.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How old and heavy are your kids? Are you familiar with the practice of keeping your children rearfacing past a year?

I have a Honda Pilot. Not sure if you are looking new or used; mine is a 2006 and is fundamentally the same as '03-'08, with the '03 having a few minor differences.

The Pilot has a few really nice features. First, all six rear positions have lap-shoulder belts, headrests, and top tether anchors. From what I've read here, that's unusual -- especially the top tethers. There is LATCH second row outboard on both sides (so just two positions. I generally prefer the seatbelt, so that doesn't bother me too much, although I prefer LATCHable boosters so a third position *would* be handy.) The '09 and later models have three LATCH positions across the second row, and one in the third row.

The second row is also of ample width that you could likely seat your children three-across if you so wished - although I'm not sure about doing it with two Marathons plus booster. That may be do-able, but tight; it's possible you could do FF Marathon/RF Marathon/bosster of your choosing, but you might also need to put the Marathons outboard and get a narrower booster for the center.

As far as the third row, I'm not sure how you define functional. I can get three seats back there, but not without significant strife. Two seats would go back there easily. Its proportions are such that kids tend to fit the belts earlier than they do in most "normal" seats -- I watch a large-for-his-age 9yo who is just now borderline at fitting the second row (and most other) belts properly without a booster, but he fir well at 8 when I got the vehicle.

A bigger challenge is third-row access. There are a few ways around that; my favorite is to put rearfacers back there and load them through the hatch, but you could also leave the second row passenger seat open so that it could fold, or put a booster there that is easily removed for folding. There is no option for captain's chairs, at least not that I'm aware of.

All of that said, the biggest downside is space. With all three rows in use, I can't fit much in the way of luggage. I tend to say I can take people -- lots of them -- or stuff (both rear rows fold flat,) but not both. For my purposes, that works fine; I tend to either have the kids without luggage (nanny) or need space for luggage (recreation, trips, etc,) but not need to take more than five people, so I fold down a row and have tons of room. Although, I did drive on a chucch overnight a few months ago, and we were 7 people plus overnight luggage. It was tight, but we made it work.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions. There are lots of pics at the link in my sig -- that may help you visualize it as well. :)

lovinwaves

Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna are my top choices for minivans. Are you getting new, or used? Different year models depend too.

amm240

we are going to do new (so, either 2010 or 2011). My oldest daughter is three, middle girl will be over year when we purchase, and new baby is currently in utero!

So, I have heard about space issues with a Pilot. We have a large dog too, and plan on doing masny road trips (family is about 5 hours drive away). I can't ever imagine getting a big, huge SUV though.

Jennifer mom to my 7

So, as I am sure you are aware, but haven't addressed, it is safest to keep your then 1 year old rear facing.

As far as minivans are concerned, my top choices are the 2004-2010 sienna, or the 2011 odyssey.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep, I wasn't necessarily saying the Pilot was the best (although I love mine for my needs, frustrated as I get sometimes,) but it's the only 7-8 seater I have experience with. Well, other than my Safari, which I wouldn't recommend, lol. But it is nice to have the expanded seating on a (relatively) smaller frame.

I think the concensus you'll find around here is to go with either the slightly older Sienna or the newer Odyssey. We have many minivan lovers, lol.

Please take a minute and watch this video, regarding your middle daughter -- I sincerely hope you'll consider keeping her rearfacing well past her first birthday. It's short and explains the whys well. Studies have shown that rearfacing is 5x safer for kids 12-23 months.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

Likewise, your older daughter, when she's ready to move out of her Boulevard, should move into a combination seat (or "harnessed booster",) like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier, for a while before graduating to a belt-positioning booster. I know that's what you not came here asking about, but we're a board dedicated to keeping kids safe in the car... so I would be remiss not to mention it. :)

we are going to do new (so, either 2010 or 2011). My oldest daughter is three, middle girl will be over year when we purchase, and new baby is currently in utero!

So, I have heard about space issues with a Pilot. We have a large dog too, and plan on doing masny road trips (family is about 5 hours drive away). I can't ever imagine getting a big, huge SUV though.

If you're thinking road trip, with a dog, you'll need a minivan unless you go with a Suburban or Excursion. Those things are monstrous tho. The closest suv to a minivan is the Chevy Traverse and sister cars, but even they can't match a minivans space. Plus, with 3 kids under 5, you're gonna want the sliding doors. It makes life a LOT easier.

So, as I am sure you are aware, but haven't addressed, it is safest to keep your then 1 year old rear facing.

As far as minivans are concerned, my top choices are the 2004-2010 sienna, or the 2011 odyssey.

Those are my choices too. I prefer the 2004-2010 Sienna over the same year Odysseys b/c the 8 seater is actually useful. The 7 seaters are about the same, altho I think the Sienna might be better for car seats by a touch. It's reversed with the 2011s. Toyota turned the new 2011 Sienna into utter crap. Removed car seat locations, used the most horrid cheap crap materials all over the interior, only let the 2nd row outboard seats move forward/backwards, and the 8th seat is ridiculously small. Honda musta learned from their mistakes cuz they basically adopted the 2004-2010 Sienna advantages (like the usable 8th seat) and improved on it (allowing the 2nd row to move side to side in addition to front/back). Cool box is a nice steal from Chrysler (which bizarrely, isn't in the Chrysler minivans). You can feel some slight cheapening of the interior materials, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Sienna. The Sienna steering wheel is rock hard, which can make long road trips numbing to your hands. Not so with the 2011 Odyssey.

The 2011 Caravan/T&C/Routan are finally getting a decent engine, but they're still like 9/10ths the size of the Sienna/Odyssey so I don't like them cuz they're too small.

Last edited:

luckyclov

Codex - Off-topic and a long-shot, but would you happen to know if there's any tool out there to locate any "leftover" *new* '10 Siennas? We haven't been able to find one...or they don't exist.

Not that I'm aware of. You can always try carsdirect.com or one of those car buying services like AAA or Costco's and give them multiple nearby area codes to see what they pull up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC